Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

Very interesting - does this mean we're getting a dual motored train?

Paddy I hope this helps.... (highlighted in RED)

For the price offered by Hornby (Arnold) i.e GBP139.99 I am sure they won't have both cars powered. It is a fairly reasonable price as well. The Dapol HST sells for about GBP136.99 direct from Dapol itself.

Regards,

J

post-15929-0-97099300-1379391744_thumb.png

Paddy I hope this helps.... (highlighted in RED)

For the price offered by Hornby (Arnold) i.e GBP139.99 I am sure they won't have both cars powered. It is a fairly reasonable price as well. The Dapol HST sells for about GBP136.99 direct from Dapol itself.

That's certainly what I'd previously assumed, it was just that the two driving cars are both featuring the same cast metal chassis which opened up the possibility.

• RMweb Gold

I would assume that using the same die cast tooling for the underframe of each driving car is more economical than one die cast and one plastic tooling set for the same underframe.

I would also have thought that the additional weight for the non driving car would benefit its running performance when being pushed by the motorised driving car at the rear.

That's certainly what I'd previously assumed, it was just that the two driving cars are both featuring the same cast metal chassis which opened up the possibility.

Yea... tend to agree with you, that was what I though first... so I immediately checked the Hornby website. two motorized power cars would be lovely but then the 5BEL would be a very small over-powered little monster.

I would assume that using the same die cast tooling for the underframe of each driving car is more economical than one die cast and one plastic tooling set for the same underframe.

I would also have thought that the additional weight for the non driving car would benefit its running performance when being pushed by the motorised driving car at the rear.

The added weight would certainly benefit the model and prevent it from flying off the tracks if it goes at high speed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest version of the Arnold Brighton Belle is on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon this weekend. The bodyshells are in green plastic now with glazing and interiors fitted including the table lamps. The motorisation appears to be a large central motor above the floor line with flywheels and cardan shafts to the bogies of the powered driving car. The motor assembly is visible through 3 bodyside windows but I suspect it will not be too obvious as there will be illuminated table lamps even in the driven car. To facilitate the use of only one DCC decoder power is transmitted between vehicles via a three pin connector/coupler which looks like it will provide close coupling, and might even couple up with the vehicles on the track - otherwise it will be time for 5 car snake wrestling like the Farish Voyager, or the Blue Pullman if using the bar couplers.

The one thing which jarred a bit was the wheelsets which appear to have "continental" flanges rather than RP25 etc. and at this stage are bright shiny metal.

The latest version of the Arnold Brighton Belle is on the Hornby stand at the Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon this weekend. The bodyshells are in green plastic now with glazing and interiors fitted including the table lamps. The motorisation appears to be a large central motor above the floor line with flywheels and cardan shafts to the bogies of the powered driving car. The motor assembly is visible through 3 bodyside windows but I suspect it will not be too obvious as there will be illuminated table lamps even in the driven car. To facilitate the use of only one DCC decoder power is transmitted between vehicles via a three pin connector/coupler which looks like it will provide close coupling, and might even couple up with the vehicles on the track - otherwise it will be time for 5 car snake wrestling like the Farish Voyager, or the Blue Pullman if using the bar couplers.

The one thing which jarred a bit was the wheelsets which appear to have "continental" flanges rather than RP25 etc. and at this stage are bright shiny metal.

Thanks for sharing that. Any pics? By your description it does sound nice indeed.

Thanks for posting those images. To be honest - IMO it looks very crude at this stage. It seems to have been assembled very quickly. What I like most are the detailed ends. The glazing and the wheels look a little ugly to me. But judging by Arnold's other models I hope it will look better once a full sample is released.

Thanks for posting those images. To be honest - IMO it looks very crude at this stage. It seems to have been assembled very quickly. What I like most are the detailed ends. The glazing and the wheels look a little ugly to me. But judging by Arnold's other models I hope it will look better once a full sample is released.

I think that the finesse of the mouldings is fine. This appears to be just one step along the road to a complete and decorated sample. As "work in progress" it looks promising to me. The deeper "continental" wheel flanges and the solebar cut outs to accommodate them are not so good points.

Mike

I saw the unpainted samples at Folkestone and thought they were excellent and I never expected the Brighton Belle to be available to us rtr. But, please may I plead again for the curtains to be printed on the windows (or whatever process is required) as they are as essential as tables and lamps! Please..... 

Gerry

I think that the finesse of the mouldings is fine. This appears to be just one step along the road to a complete and decorated sample. As "work in progress" it looks promising to me. The deeper "continental" wheel flanges and the solebar cut outs to accommodate them are not so good points.

Mike

I do indeed like the finesse of the moulding. If you look at the image I shared in #57, the moulding can be very much appreciated. Infact the pics you uploaded look lovely. To me the wheels look horrid and the glazing. If you have seen the EP samples of the GF Mk2s you'll know what I mean. This has detail but looks like its been sanded down.

Moulding - Good

Level of detail - Good

Wheels - Bad

Glazing - Bad

• RMweb Gold

With thanks to Simon K I was able to borrow the running sample on show at the excellent Great Electric train show and take a couple of snaps on the Worthing MRC Nine Mills layout. The results and my comments can be found here http://grahammuz.com/2013/10/14/next-pictures-arnold-Hornby-n-gauge-brighton-belle-running-prototype/

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder which market will really dictate the standards this model adheres to.  The German N models I've seen from Trix, Fleischmann and Brawa do have very deep flanges relative to those I see on current British models.  Likewise, traction tyres are very much the standard except where they would badly affect pickup capability.  I haven't seen a lot of Arnold up close, but what i have matches these trends.

I hope it matches British standards, and sales are good enough to encourage further British outline N gauge models from Arnold/Hornby.  Competition drives innovation, at least as far as railway modeling goes- unless they design them too cleverly...

I wonder which market will really dictate the standards this model adheres to.  The German N models I've seen from Trix, Fleischmann and Brawa do have very deep flanges relative to those I see on current British models.  Likewise, traction tyres are very much the standard except where they would badly affect pickup capability.  I haven't seen a lot of Arnold up close, but what i have matches these trends.

I hope it matches British standards, and sales are good enough to encourage further British outline N gauge models from Arnold/Hornby.  Competition drives innovation, at least as far as railway modeling goes- unless they design them too cleverly...

It's obviously the British.... The pizza cutter wheels are just for the EP sample. I heard (I think somewhere on RMWeb) that finer scale wheels will be used.

Why so obviously?  The first publicity about this unit came from Germany, and from what I gather was fairly independent from Margate.

You asked about which market it would dictate too.... So it's obvious it's British - apart from the manufacturer that is German everything else is British spec. It's aimed for the British market.

Archived