Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

Just  signed  for  one  may be  tempted  for  another,  not  sure  why  'because I  model  Continental  n  gauge,  but  maybe  one  got  through the Channel tunnel  before it  was  built

well  thats   my  excuse!!

( Actually  anything  with   the  ARNOLD  name  is  worth  having)

BTW, since I didn't notice anyone else mention it, the price for the 5 cars has come down 10 quid to £199.99.  The original announcement set a price of £209.98 for 5 cars.

Given the direction prices have gone over the past year, assuming it is put together reasonably well, I actually would now consider this set to be good value for money.

Matt

P.S. - The comment about having something with the Arnold name on it... at least here in the States back in the day, the name "Arnold" meant "Better buy another brand, instead."  I have been advised that in recent years things have improved.

I would love to be able to preorder one but Hornby's website won't let me use any discount codes (such as the 10% Collectors' Club reduction, or the 20% discount I was offered following the Christmas sale fiasco). It seems if you want to pre-order you have to pay full price.

Hopefully there will still be some left when they are finally available to buy online.

BTW, since I didn't notice anyone else mention it, the price for the 5 cars has come down 10 quid to £199.99.  The original announcement set a price of £209.98 for 5 cars.

Given the direction prices have gone over the past year, assuming it is put together reasonably well, I actually would now consider this set to be good value for money.

Matt

P.S. - The comment about having something with the Arnold name on it... at least here in the States back in the day, the name "Arnold" meant "Better buy another brand, instead."  I have been advised that in recent years things have improved.

Re  the  Arnold  name  is  the  reference being  'not very good' relative  to  the  Arnold N Gauge railway brand  or  something  else?

Arnold N gauge USA outline years ago here in the USA had a poor reputation relative to other brands of N gauge equipment.  That said, back in the 1960s and 1970s and the only better options were Con-Cor or Atlas and those companies also released some dubious stuff as well.

I noticed in the in picture of the blue one when you roll over it with your mouse to magnify it, you can see the solebar cutouts for the wheels that many people complained about are still there.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/Hornby-arnold-n-gauge/Hornby-arnold-n-gauge-sr-5-bel-brighton-belle-pullman-5-car-train-pack-1969-website-exclusive.html

Matt

Arnold N gauge USA outline years ago here in the USA had a poor reputation relative to other brands of N gauge equipment.

I noticed in the in picture of the blue one when you roll over it with your mouse to magnify it, you can see the solebar cutouts for the wheels that many people complained about are still there.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/Hornby-arnold-n-gauge/Hornby-arnold-n-gauge-sr-5-bel-brighton-belle-pullman-5-car-train-pack-1969-website-exclusive.html

Matt

I first  purchase  Arnold items  back   around 1968  when  it  first  became  available here in  the  UK, It  worked  well  and  of  course  there  was not  much  else  to  compare  it  with until Minitrix became  available  and  the  2  brands  were just  about  equal in perfomance and  fidelity to  prototype,, Fleischman Piccolo  came  a  few  years  later  and  that brand  upped  the  quality, to which  the  others obviously  made  improvements. 

I never  noticed  any real  problems  with  Arnold  items  though.

Arnold N gauge USA outline years ago here in the USA had a poor reputation relative to other brands of N gauge equipment.

Matt

When I get one in my greasy little mitts I'll see if that is a problem that will bear scrutiny at normal viewing distances.

What's more important and more difficult to hide is that in the 1969 Blue/Grey versions the bogies have the original Equalising-Beam suspension rather than the leaf-spring bogies which were installed in the mid-1950s. I think this was an issue raised when the 'OO' versions were released so looks like these models have just gone through the shrink-ray rather than being an improved version in N (1:148) scale.

• RMweb Premium

Had my first sight of the blue one running slowly round an oval at RM Web  Live. Slow running very impressive. Noted that NEM couplings weren't fitted between coaches and Simon Kohler explained the couplers were to link the coaches electrically for the table lights. The gap between coaches wasn't as small as I would have liked. Otherwise, it looked very good.

Shame that the sole-bar cut-outs haven't been addressed and that the wheels still look like chunky continental (NEM?) ones with large flanges rather than the finer profile NMRA ones that we're now more used to the UK. I wonder how they will cope with Peco code 55 and the new fiNescale code 40 track/points.

The unique internal unit coupler shouldn't be problem unless they cause a large coupling gap between coaches - then it might be difficult to close couple. The rapidos on the ends can be cut off if they don't easily un-clip.

Still I've got a couple on order and it's a matter of waiting until they arrive. At least we now know that they are basically 'here'.

Hallo,

If I remember correctly this was supposed to be only available from Hornby directly, correct?

well....

http.www.en.dm-toys.de

Select Arnold from the list of manufacturers and the page rebuilds automatically

Daniel M only displays items which are actually on stock in his shop so it must be available from other sources..........

Visa/PayPal etc and Daniel speaks english very well

es grüßt

pc

Hallo,

If I remember correctly this was supposed to be only available from Hornby directly, correct?

well....

http.www.en.dm-toys.de

Select Arnold from the list of manufacturers and the page rebuilds automatically

Daniel M only displays items which are actually on stock in his shop so it must be available from other sources..........

Visa/PayPal etc and Daniel speaks english very well

es grüßt

pc

Presumably because he is overseas?

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Looking at the DM website it appears that for the European market Arnold are shipping the models in two separate sets - one with the two driving cars, the other with the three intermediates. The combined total cost of these is around £240, depending on your Euro exchange rate.

IIC they were originally listed on the Hornby website in this format, but have actually been put on sale in full sets of 5 for £199.  I wonder if this is a response to the recognised price sensitivity of the British market?

cheers

Ben A.

Received my blue one today.  Shipped Friday 26/9 and arrived in California 3 days later on 29/9.  That is excellent.

Quick assessment: Good runner, nice lights, looks great, BUT extremely fragile and the special couplings between cars are a real pain and I strongly doubt could be replaced with something else.  The couplings do incorporate a close coupling feature like, say, Dapol Mk3 coaches, and you really need to exercise extreme care not to dislodge them.  Coupling a 5 car rake is very difficult (I suggest doing it on a some sort of padded table with the cars on their sides - DO NOT try to couple the cars by trying to push them together with the wheels on the track - you'll dislodge or break the close coupling mechanism) and you end up with an unwieldy snake which really demands care to avoid snapping or breaking anything.  This is a set that you assemble once and then just leave on your layout.  It's certainly not something to take to an exhibition!  Attached are a whole bunch of pictures.  Notice the traction tires on two wheels of the powered car.  Also, the sole bar cut-outs are probably necessary for the wheels to clear on train set curves.  The set will run on Unitrack 8.5" radius curves which is what I photographed it on.  Bottom line - I'm hesitant to recommend this set to everyone.  It's lovely to look at and runs fine, but given the couplings which manage to be both fragile and permanent at the same time, it may be something more for a dedicated fan of these units and less for the hobbyist (like myself) who would rather just run trains.

Matt

post-4367-0-78084300-1412054200_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-59035700-1412054210_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-99923200-1412054221_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-04345800-1412054246_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-87591900-1412054260_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-53736500-1412054288_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-89897500-1412054301_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-96619400-1412054330_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-72971500-1412054406_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-46752400-1412054422_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-77025600-1412054436_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-09354700-1412054448_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-18062700-1412054464_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-83053500-1412054478_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-44488500-1412054488_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-07300400-1412054519_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-86749800-1412054533_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-95878000-1412054543_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-05616600-1412054556_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-36209800-1412054568_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-32894100-1412054583_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-23430100-1412054591_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-08848700-1412054499_thumb.jpg

I disagree that the sets cannot be recommended because of the couplings. Sure they are a little fiddly, but a bit of common sense when coupling them up is all that is required. Obviously do not force them, make sure that they are properly aligned before pushing together and place a finger behind each so that it can't be forced back and disrupt/damage the auto-close coupling mech. These are fine scale delicate N gauge models not wooden toys. If anything the internal couplers are rather chunky and overly large.

The first report good points about the model are

• Great clear and near flush glazing giving a clear view of the detailed interiors
  • NEM coupler sockets at the outer ends
  • Moulded bogie detail/definition
  • Blackened low profile wheel-sets (at least they are not the continental shiny one with large flanges) 

Drawbacks are

• Those un-prototypical cut-outs in the sole bar.
  • Moulded door handrails and roof filler pipes (they're wire on many modern N models)
  • Those chunky internal couplers (but they do make electrical connection and presumably save the need for a DCC chip in each coach)

I agree  that  once  'coupled'  best  left  that  way  I  run  a few  Kato Japanese  MUs  and  they  are  best  left   coupleed  if  possible

Couple of   rough pics attd of a  Kato EMU showing the  tiny couplings,  these  dont carry any electrical connections  so can be  much smaller  than the  Arnold ones, but close coupling on the Kato sets  is quite good.

I look forward  to  receiving  my  5 BEL,  but not  really  too concerned  about coupling  the  cars  ( yet!!)

post-10539-0-09428600-1412065866.jpg

post-10539-0-08764900-1412065874.jpg

post-10539-0-60735800-1412065885.jpg

Hi,

Looking at the photos they are the same couplings as the Arnold RENFE suburban set (DMU not EMU as I posted.... oops). I will not be buying a Belle so here my experience with the RENFE.

Couple as per Farish Voyager - ie lie the coaches on their rooves (or sides)

Once the male / female parts are lined up, the electrical connections of the Arnold unit slide in well without snagging.

Totally agree with Graeme. Fiddly so use common sense.

I would not recommend frequent coupling and uncoupling

And if the Belle runs as well as the RENFE it will give much pleasure to its owners

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Gold

I will probalby change the couplers when my 5BEL arrives (pullman livery) as will need to regularly set up and dismantle for exhibitions although will give them a try first.

On my Farish Voyagers I changed the couplnigs to Microtrains which makes them much easier to set up. However each driving cab car does have its own decoder.

Archived