class 33

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

So you're gonna base all your predictions on this one model? Nice...

FYI, The Class 33's went through an entire re-design and re-tool phase because Dapol wasn't happy with it. Little over 4 years for a model is not bad considering the average time from start to end is 3 years.

They are superb models, funny how you never predicted how good the Class 50's will be based on the Class 33.

PS: My apologies if you intended it to be funny..but knowing people's hatred towards two main manufacturers on this forum, it's simple posts like that that can make start another unwanted discussion.

Steady on!! There is no criticism in my post, actual or implied. And I didn't intend it to be funny either. If a company brings a completely new diesel loco to market, it's not unreasonable to expect the process to take roughly the same time for another brand new diesel loco. That's all I was getting at. For the record, I have lots of Dapol stuff in N gauge (class 56/58/156, HSTs and dozens of coaches and wagons) and am very happy with all of it. In fact, I'm glad the 33s have only recently become available because I couldn't have afforded the two I want any earlier. The same goes for the 50s. I would like half a dozen or so but if they'd been available now, I would not be in a position to buy any. Edited by Western Aviator

Now I've had a chance to run the loco here are some further thoughts...

The book BR Blue No1 by John Desman does show 33002/003/032 devoid of ole warnings.

Red tail lights above the buffer can be turned off with a switch on the underside - nice touch.

The roller blinds are set at white blanks and do not show red in the reverse direction. IMO the roller blinds are better on the 73.

I have a slight bump over points and straight track but not curves in one direction only - I think this could be a wheel back to back issue.

The yellow on the four corners or the lower cab is slightly dulled as it appears in this location yellow has been applied over blue.

Had mine running with a rake of farish olive livery seacow hoppers and it looks great - just how I remember living near Winchester in the 80s.

This loco is full of character and would love to see one of the Eastleigh grey roof namers - my preference would be 33027.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well pleased with my D6571 and 33030 which arrived yesterday; yes a route code will be needed to complete that Southern look and the LED is too bright but it's a great model and runs well. Great stuff Dapol!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I have two on order I managed to pick up the last 33030 in Monk Bar Models York at the weekend.

My thoughts......

Looks great, colour looks spot on to me, detail excellent. Shed code of ED is a bit of a bloomer but I had to look through my illuminated magnifier to see it. This is easily rectified. No headcode, just white blinds is strange but whatever code was printed would be wrong for nearly everyone including me. No overhead warning flashes, easily rectified with decals and can be positioned correctly for whatever loco you are portraying. Lights a bit on the bright side......a bit of paint on the end of the LED will tone it down hopefully.

The loco was test run in the shop, a bit noisy but typical Dapol and should improve with running in.

8 and a half out of 10 from me.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding overhead wire warning flashes, a study of 'Rail Portfolios no. 6, The Cromptons', shows it is highly likely these weren't fitted to 33s until May 1981, when they started on the Crewe-Cardiff route. This is surprising, as they definitely worked over OHLE routes, e.g. to Ripple Lane, the LTS route being electrified as early as 1961. Perhaps this is indicative of the Southern's somewhat cavalier attitude to H&S, as there were still examples of 33s without yellow warning panels as late as October 1966!

• RMweb Gold

I wasnt gonig to9 get any of these locos but as there seemed ot be no real problems with running quality I got a green SYP and the lbue 33030 at the Barrow In Furness show.

Fitted with Gaugemaster 6 pin decoders.

However one bogie on both locos wasn't picking up. Easily sorted by bending the pickups on the chassis so that the pick up prongs on the bogies now all make contact.

• RMweb Premium

Of the nearly 500 images of Cromptons that I have......The earliest images I have of class 33s with OHLE flashes appears to be April 1981.

The earliest image of 33030 I have with OHLE flashes is this one from August 1981.

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p651056644/h20ec55c0#h3e5d3c63

I guess I should check to see the latest date without flashes that I have.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

I have just got round to unpacking and running in my D6571 and decided to compare it to my class 26 and 27 and was a little surprised to notice that there was no visible engine exhaust port, so I checked the pictures on the project managers blog and it appears to be missing there too! but only on the model with no yellow panel. has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Alex

Mine arrived yesterday, yes the version with the early silencer does appear to be lacking a hole for those exhaust gases to escape!

Overall not a bad model, but the deco isn't quite to Farish or Rapido standards. There's a slope in the join between green and grey and the smaller printed details aren't quite as fine or accurately shaped as other manufacturers. Should all be less noticable under a decent coat of 60s grot.

Just need to build that 1960s Southern layout now!

Jo

• RMweb Premium

I have just got round to unpacking and running in my D6571 and decided to compare it to my class 26 and 27 and was a little surprised to notice that there was no visible engine exhaust port, so I checked the pictures on the project managers blog and it appears to be missing there too! but only on the model with no yellow panel. has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Alex

Yes I've noticed it too but hadn't got round to digging out my book of loco drawings before going into print on here. None of the mag reviews seem to have picked it up though, which I find staggering. If it is indeed the case that the exhaust port is missing, can we use this thread to discuss how to rectify it? I also think the lack of headcodes is an issue too, but maybe they were omitted for a good reason; has anyone found a source of 33 codes and fitted them?

Just seen that both aspects are covered on the N-Gauge Forum; Railtec transfers are recommended.

Edited by Crepello

Looking at the photos of the 33 from Saturday, the blue looks rather similar to the recent OO gauge class 73 colour

I don't think this is the case. The 00 gauge Class 73 had a distinctly warm purplish tinge to it. Looking at the 33 next to an old Farish example, the shade of blue is actually slightly cooler shade than Farish's. It looks the same as the shade applied to their Westerns and class 22 which do not seem to have been criticised on the colour front.

29982971850_21fcabe7fb_z.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's such a shame about that different colour yellow where it has been layered over the blue on the cab corners, because otherwise it looks like a lovely little model, a world away from that Farish blob!

Tom. 

It's such a shame about that different colour yellow where it has been layered over the blue on the cab corners, because otherwise it looks like a lovely little model, a world away from that Farish blob!

Tom. 

I had not noticed this untill you said, only thing I can see wrong with the model, won't stop me buying one in due course. I am sure a small trip near the airbrush will cure that issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tom.

I hadn't noticed this on my Models until this was pointed out. Wonder why they have sprayed yellow over blue when the opposite would seem more sensible. Drops my score to 8/10 but still a good model.

My second 33030 arrived yesterday. Numbers easily removed with Microsol and a cotton bud. It's now 33055.

Edited by acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Lovely model - very impressed with both the appearance and running qualities. Yes shame about the yellow over blue issue, but like others, I hadn't noticed it until it was pointed out! Won't be noticeable after light weathering I suspect. Looking forward to the 33/1 now :)

Yes looking forward to the 33/1.......now then GF or Dapol or anyone else 4TC anyone!

33102 is reviewed in Model Rail this week.

I don't know if the model featured is preproduction but a couple of glaring issues not commented on are the orange MW sockets and there appears to be a gap in the yellow around the handrail on each cab corner which looks odd.

On the positive there is a gap between 33 and 102 unlike 33030.

Edited by alan24

Regarding overhead wire warning flashes, a study of 'Rail Portfolios no. 6, The Cromptons', shows it is highly likely these weren't fitted to 33s until May 1981, when they started on the Crewe-Cardiff route. This is surprising, as they definitely worked over OHLE routes, e.g. to Ripple Lane, the LTS route being electrified as early as 1961. Perhaps this is indicative of the Southern's somewhat cavalier attitude to H&S, as there were still examples of 33s without yellow warning panels as late as October 1966!

I don't think it was due any "a cavalier attitude to H&S" that the 33s weren't fiited with overhead wire warning flashes until fairly late. I expect that they weren't required. Surprisingly, the last locomotives to receive overhead wire warning flashes were, in fact, the overhead electric locomotives themselves! After a quick Google check I've found some pictures from the mid-eighties and even the early nineties of electric locos without overhead wire warning flashes!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/13968008572

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/24587801812/in/photostream/

David

• RMweb Premium

33102 is reviewed in Model Rail this week.

I don't know if the model featured is preproduction but a couple of glaring issues not commented on are the orange MW sockets and there appears to be a gap in the yellow around the handrail on each cab corner which looks odd.

On the positive there is a gap between 33 and 102 unlike 33030.

Thanks for that......Oh well out with the yellow paint then......

I don't think it was due any "a cavalier attitude to H&S" that the 33s weren't fiited with overhead wire warning flashes until fairly late. I expect that they weren't required. Surprisingly, the last locomotives to receive overhead wire warning flashes were, in fact, the overhead electric locomotives themselves! After a quick Google check I've found some pictures from the mid-eighties and even the early nineties of electric locos without overhead wire warning flashes!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/13968008572

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/24587801812/in/photostream/

David

33s were regular visitors to Willesden (Brent and Sudbury) and regularly ran under the wires. On the 25kv locos the orange cantrail line serves as a warning also, and there are no bodyside steps to access high levels. Admittedly trespassers probably need the "flash" to,ignore, as well as some Wallace and Gromit climbing boots. Weren't there "flashes" in the roof well area on 25kv locos to warn those accessing from above, as well as warnings on the catenary itself at over-bridges

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rail blue 33/1s are being dispatched, just had an email from Rails, Hattons are also showing pictures.

Just need to paint the jumper recepts white for the yellow top coat.

• RMweb Premium

My 33/1 arrived today the orange recepts have been corrected to yellow.

One thing of note is the 33/1 has a different chassis frame to the 33/0 which incorporates the steps/ cable rests that are above the buffer beam. The frame also does not seem to be a brilliant fit as the cab body seems to foul the front of frame.

The yellow over blue join is not as bad as its disguised by the jumpers.

And finally the instructions say buffing plate ( in the bag of bits ) fits into the openings in the top part of the buffer beam......errrrr......there aren't any openings!

Edited by acg5324

And finally the instructions say buffing plate ( in the bag of bits ) fits into the openings in the top part of the buffer beam......errrrr......there aren't any openings!

Are you sure?

My two 33/1s that have just arrived, have four holes in each buffer beam but the instruction don't say that the rubbing plates fits in them or any openings but that it "fits between the buffers and is secured by small spots of adhesive" although I'm yet to fit them.

G.