class 33

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

The pipe work same on production model - all very small  mouldings I can assure you having had to fight with carpet monster at one point. Angle of photo picks up on all being separate pipes and having been glued on twice.

33 008 a real minefield with it changing every exam at Eastleigh over a protracted period. Dapol have had a mass of photos showing changes, I will ask and see if it can be tied down... sadly whatever is done will be not quite what a proportion of modelers will want to buy.

I would think a later small yellow with D numbers is most likely - easier to repaint with full yellow ends and change numbers likely. The All green  full yellow ends will be a repaint job of a blue shell.

Cheers

Robert   

Hi 

The pipe work same on production model - all very small  mouldings I can assure you having had to fight with carpet monster at one point. Angle of photo picks up on all being separate pipes and having been glued on twice.

33 008 a real minefield with it changing every exam at Eastleigh over a protracted period. Dapol have had a mass of photos showing changes, I will ask and see if it can be tied down... sadly whatever is done will be not quite what a proportion of modelers will want to buy.

I would think a later small yellow with D numbers is most likely - easier to repaint with full yellow ends and change numbers likely. The All green  full yellow ends will be a repaint job of a blue shell.

Cheers

Robert   

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the that. I think that it may be the angle the picture was taken at that makes the pipes look odd. After I sent the post I found another picture from a different angle of an unpainted model (probably the same one I expect), and the pipes looked good.

I agree with you about 33 008's liveries. Personally, I'd rather have the later livery version produced. As you say the original version would be a fairly easy repaint. One other thing, how long before its withdrawal did 33 008 receive a hi-viz light?

David

• 1 month later...

Expected June/July now according to an email just received from Hatton's.

I received that email too. Very disappointing news. I wonder if Bachmann might yet surprise us with an updated Farish 33 out of the blue, before a Dapol one arrives?!!

I would like a departmental grey one. at least an easy re-paint.

they are doing blue, green, construction sector and nse so all main liveries coming out which is good to see.

I suppose west coast, drs, ews fragonset and any other less common liveries might come out as specials one day. what other liveries has this class worn? I'm sure I missed some...?

tim

I doubt it, the Dapol version is well advanced, enough for Farish to see it is a viable model.

This isn't OO where firms can profit even with duplicates.

I doubt it very much too. I was only half joking, but it's becoming rather annoying how even the put back dates are put back again and again. And that's for just about every model from just about every manufacturer. I realise there's only a finite amount of manufacturing space in China, but it seems that all the manufacturers are rather too optimistic with their announcements and schedules. When was the last time an announced model came out roughly (in the same year at least) when it was meant to?

• RMweb Premium

I am fully expecting all release dates to be put back again very soon as the annual Chinese New Year Effect kicks in which usually up the manufacturing sector over there well and true for a couple of months afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been meaning to mention this for a while. On Hattons website they have:

2D-001-003

Dapol

Class 33/0 diesel locomotive D6597 in BR green with small yellow panel

I assume that this is a mistake!

David

Indeed it is. Number should be D6539. Prototype can be seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5857224621

1967. Excellent!

Edited by DavidLong

I doubt it very much too. I was only half joking, but it's becoming rather annoying how even the put back dates are put back again and again. And that's for just about every model from just about every manufacturer. I realise there's only a finite amount of manufacturing space in China, but it seems that all the manufacturers are rather too optimistic with their announcements and schedules. When was the last time an announced model came out roughly (in the same year at least) when it was meant to?

Cue Revolution Trains TEA wagons?

• 2 weeks later...

Now - don't shoot the messenger please, but pics in this month's Rail Express of the Dutch class 33 is accompanied by the statement that it would be corrected before production, but we heard that with the OO class 73.

Brace for impact people......

Edit: it really does look quite good though.

Steve

Edited by steve1023

The 33's do look good. With regards to livery errors, Dapol are still getting the two tone railfreight grey wrong on their 86's with the bottom grey band having a greeny tinge to it. And these are production models. Hopefully the Dutch livery will look spot on once released.

Edited by cornish trains jez

I think we can reserve these kind of posts until after we know that a production model is wrong? It's an EP almost all EP samples have to have something wrong. After all that's why EPs are made.

I'm a railway engineer by trade, and if I'd produced something that wrong, even as an EP, I'd be disgusted with myself.

I'm a railway engineer by trade, and if I'd produced something that wrong, even as an EP, I'd be disgusted with myself.

That's your choice. I'd rather have some idea with caveats a few months out so I can plan my purchases.

I saw every Class 33 in service and in most colour schemes in real life. I'm not 'disgusted' with what I'm seeing. 

• Like 1

I'm a railway engineer by trade, and if I'd produced something that IS wrong, even as an EP, I'd be disgusted with myself.

Not everyone is going to be like you... And I don't see the need to either. Even DJM with all his "so called" experience and innovation got the shape of the Class 71 wrong in the first EP... Not many things are made spot on in the first go. If it is then well and good, if not let it be. It's an EP.  If it's a production model you have a choice to buy it.  :angel:

So how do you blame yourself? DJM didn't blame himself. It's all done by an external source.