Thanks very much guys, much appreciated, I'm very happy with the green factory myself, but I should point out that all the buildings were very much inspired by Osney (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56870-osney-town-ii-and-other-0-gauge-micro-layouts/page-1) which showed me that low-relief buildings can look effective provided they have sufficient depth (if that isn't a oxymoron!)

I scratchbuilt a matching precast loading dock from spare plasticard and square section (provided as the 'roof' for the brick factory kit) but then had a minor painting disaster when adding the pipework to the store, so I packed it all away in disgust. One unexpected effect of designing the layout to look inconspicuous is that when it's packed up you tend to forget all about it!

• 2 months later...

I've had a bit more time and modelling mojo recently so the goods lockup and platform has been completed. I repaired my minor painting disaster (note to self - when touching up make sure you use the *same* shade of brown...) and gave the lockup, the loading platform and also the passenger platform a dirty wash. I got up this morning with to take some photos in the daylight but just as I'd got everything out a thunderstorm hit and it all went rather grey so my apologies for the awful photos below!

I did mange to find a new angle though, which is only possible with a smartphone:-

481000016_20150531DSC_3593a.jpg.dc93f1765c65a4388e35d0f98869059d.jpg

81268559_20150531DSC_3540a.jpg.f93d8695f1a823f02b1420a45d02c1cd.jpg

So the only building left to finish now is the brick factory, which ironically was the first to be built. I have been doing lots of reading and some experimentation to get a decent brick colour. I think I've found a colour that I like and a method that works for me so that is my next task, along with building up a cardboard structure for the main platform.

Edited by sparks
  • Like 10

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been revisiting after a hiatus as this layout has kept popping up in my mind.

It is great in its simplicity IMO.

I'd really, really like some pictures with the catenary fully installed  - pleeeeaaaase, pretty please. :onthequiet:

Best Regards,

Christian

After looking at all of this I am so amazed! Not just because of the 'Red Rattlers' being used but also of the design of the layout which works so well with the little amount of space.

I have been revisiting after a hiatus as this layout has kept popping up in my mind.

It is great in its simplicity IMO.

I'd really, really like some pictures with the catenary fully installed  - pleeeeaaaase, pretty please. :onthequiet:

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks very much for the interest guys. The project isn't dead, but there hasn't been any further progress unfortunately. I ended up moving back to the UK last year and although I brought it with me (all the parts and materials conveniently pack inside the APA Box!) I don't have my own place yet so it's sat in a storage unit with all my other stuff.

My modelling interests have moved onto 16mm scale (as happened the first time around) which is equally frustrated due to lack of a garden, but I would like to finish Riverside when I get the opportunity. Watch this space......

• Like 2