New-look BRM!

SteveCole

Andy I think the problem in this thread is the OP used a lot of words to say very little. Essentially we read there was a new logo and other changes. That seemed pretty much it. Steve1980 never actively engages with the membership in discussion so the members are left to their own devices.

The changes within the magazine are what matters to most and until they see them, the new logo and past experience is all people have to go on.

we read there was a new logo and other changes. That seemed pretty much it. the new logo and past experience is all people have to go on.

I really shouldn't rise to it but when someone jumps to a conclusion that existing evidence contradicts it's sometimes necessary to re-iterate what's already been said.

A new logo (above!), fresh new design and updated editorial strategy; just a few of the changes that readers can expect ............

.............. the all-new BRM isn’t just a cosmetic change. The Reader Survey helped highlight the current trends for layouts, modelling instruction and product reviews which the BRM team will use to ensure that articles are even more suited to the current crop of railway modellers.

.............. The success of any magazine comes down to what you find on the pages. The articles – whether layouts, instruction or product reviews – need to be what modellers want, written in a style that suits the reader and leaves no questions unanswered. The new BRM will focus on including the best layouts the UK has to offer. We’ve already been working on some pretty amazing home layouts, as well as some superb exhibition layouts............

................. We’ll also ensure we offer instructional content that is achievable to the masses, written and photographed in a way that will ensure that all readers can improve their modelling! These articles will, whenever possible, be backed up by free video content on Model-Railways-Live and forum topics on RMweb ................

There is a difference between impatience and negativity, Andy.

I haven't seen much impatience. ;)

I really shouldn't rise to it but when someone jumps to a conclusion that existing evidence contradicts it's sometimes necessary to re-iterate what's already been said.

There's nothing to "rise" to - I'm just a regular BRM reader wondering what these changes are all about. I read the passage when it was first posted - it has lots of words but really I'm none the wiser until I actually see the magazine (It could be as accurate as the reviews of Oscar's in Brixham for all I know). I have no idea how this will be reflected in the finished product.

for all I know

Hmmmm...

I have no idea how this will be reflected in the finished product.

We'll show more nearer the time; the first thing was to make readers aware that there are changes and what to look for on the newsstand.

I understand you want people to know that their magazine will look different, but I think that with the launch of a new product, before the launch, less is more.

This thread seems to have thrown doubt in readers' minds which is a shame when BRM was quite revolutionary when it appeared and very much set the standard for the more mainstream magazines forcing them to up their game. Even now the first couple of volumes of BRM are well worth a read :)

• RMweb Gold

The BRM Lads Mag approach:

attachicon.gifbrmladsmag.jpg

OK I know its not a British locomotive!!

Edited by Andy Y, Today, 08:19 .

Image removed after complaint.

• Laugh.jpgFunny x 2
  • List

Ah Well. I got 50 mnutes and one "Funny" before someone complained about the American locomotive!

(It was the locmotive that the complaint was about; Wasn't it??)

Edit to add a second "Funny"

I could turn the argument around and ask if people don't want better articles, better illustration, fresh design, more complementary (as in 'themed') content, more projects and better integration across our media of carefully chosen material?

Yes we want some of that - so why not announce some of those positive and probably welcome changes rather than wasting hype on the unwanted, management focused, readership uninspired change to a dull and meaningless logo change?

This whole topic would have been a far more positive discussion if it had been an announcement of just one of those inspiring changes. A new change-for-change-sake logo does nothing but invite negativity.

• RMweb Gold

Ohhhh dunno about that, there's those that find negativity in anything, just their outlook I suppose, glass half full and all that!

I'm wondering who is going to be the first one on page three!!

Will there be toilet humour too ???

Ohhhh dunno about that, there's those that find negativity in anything, just their outlook I suppose, glass half full and all that!

Another view is that when in the earth's atmosphere, one's glass is always full. For example, half liquid, half air; no liquid, all air thus always full!

The Model Railway market is relatively well educated and knowledgeable, compared to many others, so for the majority of potential reader ‘Content is King’ and existing readers will judge whether a magazine is a worthwhile purchase on that. A fancy attractive cover only really comes in to play in attracting new entrants to the market, and for them I’d have thought a title that actually says what it does is more useful than a set of initials with multiple meanings – I’ve just done a quick google search for ‘BRM’ and the first hit associated with the magazine is to this thread halfway down the fifth page!

As has been said many times by many contributors in this and other threads, you do have to question the Marketing strategy. Do Warners have a dedicated marketing team for the modelling Magazines/Shows or just draw on a pool staff from the parent group who may not have the in depth knowledge of the market they are attempting to target? Steve has himself acknowledged in other threads he isn’t a modeller, and wasn’t familiar with the hobby when appointed to the role.

No-one can say based on Steve’s initial post what this makeover means for the magazine (good or bad) the only fair conclusion that can be drawn about the content is ‘wait and see’. - As Kenton says why not concentrate on meaningful details about the content instead of ‘management speak’ focusing on the logo change which is essentially window-dressing. The old saying is ‘never judge a book by it’s cover’ but all we’ve been given so far is half the cover!!

I'm wondering who is going to be the first one on page three!!

If we took this topic my page shows Miss Prism as first on Page Three; but would the readers be ready for such a sight? Mind you, it could be right up the street of some.

Sorry I haven't been back to the topic in the last few hours; I've been out discussing potential article content which features some of the highest standards of craftsmanship in the hobby but it'll have the new logo on the front of the mag so therefore it must be rubbish.

• RMweb Premium

It's an odd thing I know,

But I do tend to avoid mags that I can't flick through...

Although it isn't in itself a marker for poor content,

I have been bitten, by buying several mags where I can't see the content

or the content is not reflected by the few shots on the cover

Although publishers may not like the public treating the magazines as if they were in a library,

I do tend to buy magazines that I've flicked through first,

where I can be assured of the content and its' relevance..

In fact, I haven't bought a railway or modelling mag in a sealed bag for a few years...

... unless some other "helpful" customer had opened the bag for a browse....

Perhaps indicating others feel the same way?

So publishers, please don't place your mags in sealed packets....

Marc

Totally agree.  If I can't have a quick glance inside to see how relevant or useful an article might be it stays on the shelf.

but it'll have the new logo on the front of the mag so therefore it must be rubbish.

No one, as far as I'm aware, has said it'll rubbish because of the logo - reaction to the logo in question seems to have been luke warm. Making remarks like that makes me feel any opinion I express, as a BRM reader, isn't taken seriously because it doesn't agree with company policy. 

However, the all-new BRM isn’t just a cosmetic change. The Reader Survey helped highlight the current trends for layouts, modelling instruction and product reviews which the BRM team will use to ensure that articles are even more suited to the current crop of railway modellers.

Oh dear. It always disappoints me when a product is improved based on customer feedback

Cars that are designed based on the results from focus groups etc turn out to be average at best. Cars where the designer is able to use their imagination to the full, to force the bounderies to pushed to the limit (and beyond), are the ones that people really aspire to own. If cars were simply a result of customer feedback we wouldn't have half the technology we enjoy in our cars today, it only exist because designers & engineers pushed to do something new rather than just carrying on doing the same but a bit better

It will be interesting to see how things turn out but I do think a simple statement about things changing would have been better than a long winded load of PR nonsense which basically said nothing

Anyway; it's dispiriting to see the elements of negativity being aired by people assuming that a change of logo will mean nothing more than that (there's a lot of half-empty glasses in this hobby), perhaps they should pause and think that a change in logo is there to signify there are more substantial changes than just that afoot. I could turn the argument around and ask if people don't want better articles, better illustration, fresh design, more complementary (as in 'themed') content, more projects and better integration across our media of carefully chosen material? By reading some comments on here I could easily jump to alternative premature conclusions.

It could be argued one mans feedback and opinions is anothers negativity. I really do not care about what colour the logo of magazine is or even its name, but I do care about it's content, which in BRM's case always of a high standard, however the reasons I would why I would not purchase it are either articles that are of no interest to me, bagging ( i note you comments on this which are fair in BRM's case) or that I am on a limited budget and therefore moving from title to title on a monthly based articles which I am interested in. There is only railway magazine which I purchase religiously on a monthly basis is Modern Railways and that is because it ticks nearly all the boxes with me on a monthly basis ; no model railway magazine has every really done this for me!

IMO the on-line format is the way forward and I think far more creativity could be included here; Andy York has certainly added some high quality content which I have really enjoyed. I would argue that having a paper copy as well as a on-line copy of the magazine is now an impediment as it almost constrains the on-line magazine to be more text and pictures than active content in order to provide a near uniform offering to all readers

So am I being glass half empty or glass half full? - Maybe there should be 2 new voting buttons on all posts for members to judge all posts!

Nigel

Archived