New-look BRM!

SteveCole

Oddly we were happy for Dapol Dave to come on here and show us how various locos were developing so we could add our two penn'rth and it was clearly a useful process.

So why is it we get uppity when it's done in respect of changes to a magazine - after all being on RMweb doesn't make it compulsory to buy BRM; does it?

I think there is one important difference - in the case about Dapol it is about a product that interests us. In the case of all this fuss about BRM it is only about some silly logo that most couldn't give a d@mn about.

The announcement was a waste of effort (much like the logo change itself) What we would all really like to know is what are the changes to the content/style - the things that might entice us to go out and actually buy the thing. And, I have not seen anything in this topic or announcement that is going to do that.

• RMweb Premium

If the island of Ireland isn't part of the British Isles, then what is it?

The answer depends on whether you are asking from a geographical or a political point of view!

My own feeling, in the context of "British Railway Modelling", is the title implies models of railways of Great Britiain. Trying to extend this whilst keeping the same title means it could cover the railways of Canada and New Zealand.

If the magazine is to include railways of Ireland (and expects to sell copies in the Republic), it might be called "British and Irish Railway Modelling".

- Richard.

Once again I think some people are choosing to jump to premature conclusions. Yes, there will be five 'conventional' layout articles and I know there's some stunning content in there including some things which are not 'mainstream' but will find a place on their modelling merits. The reader's layout reference is there to denote submissions by readers of some of their models which aren't a 'conventional' article.

Yes, that would be my interpretation. I know exactly what is meant, but I also can see how that statement is clumsily worded and open to misinterpretation (deliberate or otherwise)...

"14 Layouts including 9 reader-submissions" or similar would sound even more impressive and not risk the same misinterpretation. As it stands, the superlative "Great" apparently only applies to 5 layouts (the cover designer's words not anyone on this forum...) As soon as you apply superlatives to some articles, it by implication, is a negative for the others... 

Half full or half empty Paul ?

Actually neither Dave... in fact considering both sides of the coin, potentially we're in for a bumper edition - a total of 14 layouts is as I said an impressive total and should cover most interests, so long as that isn't at the expense of the depth of coverage in the 'conventional' layout articles...

so long as that isn't at the expense of the depth of coverage in the 'conventional' layout articles...

Not at all, in fact it's fair to say that coverage extends beyond the printed page to give added value to the readers who want to go beyond the full article.

Andy, can you really blame people for reaching "premature conclusions" if only partial information has been provided?

When it's very clear it's only partial information I can say it's uninformed to reach a conclusion, people could speculate but there's a big difference between that and reaching derogatory conclusions.

To those who grumble that they haven't seen the contents; don't worry you will get a taste before publication.

When it's very clear it's only partial information I can say it's uninformed to reach a conclusion, people could speculate but there's a big difference between that and reaching derogatory conclusions.

To those who grumble that they haven't seen the contents; don't worry you will get a taste before publication.

In the OP's first post they refer to the 'new Logo above' which does not state British railway Modelling below the BRM. Nothing partial about that! I cannot find any post which states that the logo was unfinished, incomplete or partial!

The new logo has now changed and yet you are slagging off those who have commented on that change.

I really think you need to read what has been written and announced by BRM as you are the one being unnecessarily derogatory

• RMweb Gold

Are we all really that upset by this ???

The three options put forward by Grafarman (#176) are all valid - but the ultimate test will be 'is the content any good'. If it's not, then sales will fall like a stone.

As Missy said - it's model railways...

Now, where's me caravan mag ?

I won't expect to see you in front of Summat at Peterborough for long then :lol: 

Can't see the relevance of that post. This is not about a particular layout or a particular show. It is not even about a specific layout presented in BRM. This IS about the OP being totally lacking in substance, about about unnecessary image promoting PR on an irrelevant logo change where as it should be about a change in style and presentation.

Interest in a specific layout presented on the cover might or might not attract my attention (depending on the layout) The usual monthly topic with image of front cover and contents will be enough to do that. It does not inform me of the more significant change in style that this topic hints at.

For example:

A decision to make more use of interview style would put me off ever buying another copy - I dislike this printed form of presenting what is essentially an aural format.

Alternatively, to increase and expand the "How to" (even if I think I already can) or better still "How it was done - in detail" content would be positive.

I could continue, but that might just be like a reader's opinion survey that I couldn't/didn't participate in.

All a separate and more important discussion than the logo which has no importance or relevance to a purchasing decision and should not have been occupying corporate time and energy.

As Missy said - it's model railways...

Im glad someone actually listened to me. I was starting to wonder then.

Im not unsubscribing to this thread though. Im finding it very amusing watching all (and I do mean all) the school kids having a big argument like it actually means something. 

Missy :)

Personally I think it's the heat getting to everyone.

Like Missy, I read this thread with a mix of amusement and perplexion...nearly 200 posts of froth over a sneak peak at a logo. If this thread generates more posts than the eventual review of the first look issue, I will have lost my faith in all humanity.

David

Im finding it very amusing watching all (and I do mean all) the school kids having a big argument like it actually means something.

At least you said all in an inclusive way.

Why on earth start such a topic if it didn't mean anything - it evidently did to the OP - and probably something to all the others who have posted.

(now I've evidently thrown my toy out of the pram will some kind adult predictably put it back so I can continue to play the game) :cry:

Im glad someone actually listened to me. I was starting to wonder then.

Im not unsubscribing to this thread though. Im finding it very amusing watching all (and I do mean all) the school kids having a big argument like it actually means something.

To those who work for Warners this is about their livelihoods - I suspect it certainly means something to them.

• RMweb Gold

No point then in sending in my Murphy's Models 071 in weathered Irish Rail livery for review!!  

Ireland (both parts) is part of the archipelago known as the British Isles, so I don't see why not.

Pete

Because the 071 is a Chinese built model of an American built prototype. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

'British isles' means England, Wales and Scotland; islands in their territories (Mersea, Isle of Wight, Shetlands and so on) plus the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and a few others.

The only way Ireland fits in is as part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", but be aware that the CI and IoM are outside Great Britain

I now have four 'disagree' vote to this. What have I got wrong? I thought Ireland ceased to be British sometime around 1920.

- Richard.

Mickey is absolutely right, the politics changed, not the geography. Some in the Irish Republic are not best pleased that, geographically speaking, they are still part of the British Isles, but part they are.

Yup; British Isles = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles, United Kingdom = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

which our neighbours in Ireland could rightfully take issue with.

Anyway, I've had it with the negativity so I thought I'd blow our cover and show the whole cover. ;)

RMweb_Hello2.jpg

There you go, the secrets are out. :P

Archived