08-16 Kit

To follow on from the model entered into the 2012 scratch building challenge, I can now report that I will be producing a mixed media kit of the 08-16. The principle components will be laser cut in Rowmark, with additional resin and white metal castings, and a sheet of etched brass comprising the roof and smaller details, and laser cut acrylic glazing.

post-3114-0-18192100-1373464266_thumb.jpg

post-3114-0-20195300-1373464163.jpg

post-3114-0-72380200-1373464244.jpg

The kit has been designed to build into the two principle variants of the 08-16 – the 80RT and the 100RT. The main differences between the two are the bogies and ballast clearing ploughs, which are bogie mounted on the 80RT, and body mounted on the100RT.

With a choice of bogies, three operator’s vehicles can be modelled

• Amey – operate 80RT
  • Balfour Beatty –  operate 100RT
  • Colas Rail – operate both 80RT and 100RT

Decals are currently being prepared, and a sheet will be available covering the three operators listed above, with two running numbers offered for each

• Amey – DR 73920, DR73922 “John Snowdon”
  • Balfour Beatty –  DR73926 “Stephen Keith Blanchard”, DR73927
  • Colas Rail – DR73913, DR73931

post-3114-0-25871900-1373464310.jpg

A major difference between the challenge model and the kit is that the chassis has been completely redesigned to accommodate a pair of Black Beetle motor bogies (one powered and one un-powered).

post-3114-0-86514700-1373464178.jpg

An initial run of 25 kits is planned, with a further batch considered if demand is high enough. The kit will cost £120. No deposit will be required just PM me to have your name added to the list. Current plan is for the kits to be completed and ready to ship by mid August (producing the instructions now – they will be pictorial Airfix style)

Jonathan

• Like 8

Not sure about a subject for a next kit. The obvious one would be to produce the articulated ballast brush box wagon which some 08-16 have, which could be done as a conversion kit. I was looking at the stoneblower a few weeks back although IIRC Pugsley is working on an etched kit. As for the ballast regulators there might be some milage there also a DTS is a possiability.

Jonathan

Fantastic product Jonathan! I would be interested in two kits, I cannot PM, would you have a contact email so we can discuss?

Will you be offering a pre-built kit ready to paint? If not, just how much kit building is there to do. My skills go as far as glueing together S-Kits RHTTs.

I have been wanting a OO Tamper for years, even toured the Plasser UK factory last year. Brilliant machines, plans for the 09-3X Dynamic Tamper and USP 5000 RT?

Fantastic!

Just a quick update.

The initial plan was to produce a batch of 25 kits. Since posting the information on here and the DEMU forum I can now report that this first batch have all been reserved. To this end a second batch will be produced (quantities to be confirmed), those wishing to reserve a kit from the second batch can contact me at the new email address below 

I am anticipating the kits being avaliable at the end of Aug. The image below is a sample of the instruction sheet, so far there are 35 sheets covering every set of the build!

post-3114-0-70301500-1375084029.jpg

I have set up a new dedicated email address - enquiries@clockworkideas.co.uk

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I'd be interested in one of these, although there are a few points that I'd like to clarify before committing to purchase one.

If I'm correct, the prototypes entered service around 2001 (which places it within my time frame).  I'm assuming that they also operate in Scotland.

You stated in post 1 that the kit will cost £120: are the transfers that you indicated would be produced included within that price or an extra?  You also state that the kit is designed to accomodate a pair of black beetle motors (one powered and one unpowered).  Given that they would seem to cost £43.82 and £15.13 respectively from DC Kits, these are obviously not included within the kit and therefore need to be purchased separately.  Apart from paint, solder, glue etc, is there anything else that would be needed to complete the kit?

Finally, have you any idea how long it would take a professional kit builder to construct the kit?  I'm not sure that I'll be up to building the said kit and therefore that would be another cost that would need to be factored into any decision with regards purchasing one of these machines.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - Instructions are almost complete, all 84 pages - I was palnning to get them printed and included in the kit until Staples told me how much they would charge (good job they sell office chairs as I needed to sit down after they told me) so they will now be on a CD.

jonathan

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

Can you create pdf files? Another even possibly less costly option for you to consider over cd's

I would like one of the bag of bits that come with the instructions at some point in the future, looks a really great job.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

I've used these people for my business before and they were reasonably priced and very helpful:

http://www.digitalprintplus.co.uk/

I would expect an 84 page b/w booklet to be about 50p to £1 each if you are printing ~50.

Otherwise I agree with the pdf option on a website.

Thank for the link Rabs, Couldn't find anything on booklet printing though, closest was the A4 wiro binding which came out at £5 per unit (miles cheaper than staples though). I'll drop them an email and see what they come back with.

jonathan

The largest number of pages in a booklet I can find on their online shop is 32 - but I'm sure that they could do more.  It's probably worth giving them a call, the people in their office were very helpful when they did brochures for my company.  I've PMed you the email address of the person who helped me.

Edited by Rabs

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

Demand for kits since the article went into Railexpress Modeller has taken me completely by surprise and as a result I have had to rethink the production schedule. Put a different way each kit has 29 resin castings and to produce sufficient to fulfil the current orders would take me around 3 weeks at the current rate of progress (incomplete mold fill or air bubbles have currently given me a reject rate of 75% - a combo of using open molds and brand new easyflo60 resin).

I've been intouch with a few contract resin casters to get quotes for a small production run (if 2175 castings counts as a small production run) I will post an update in the next few days.

Jonathan

Its slightly less than 75 kits, but I want to make sure I've got a stock of spares.

The USP5000C is progressing slowly. I received a couple of CDs a few weeks back of prototype photos - in excess of 500, and from these I I'm formulating a mental plan of how the kit might go together. 

Jonathan

Not sure about a subject for a next kit. The obvious one would be to produce the articulated ballast brush box wagon which some 08-16 have, which could be done as a conversion kit. I was looking at the stoneblower a few weeks back although IIRC Pugsley is working on an etched kit. As for the ballast regulators there might be some milage there also a DTS is a possiability.

Jonathan

Just think how much response there'd be for a 07-16 - has an even greater lifespan :sungum: