Locomotive portraits

chaz

On 12 September 1978 on the former Deli Railway in North Sumatra, 75-year old 0-4-4T no.27 was photographed at Tanjungbalai. Built by Hohenzollern in 1903, it is in steam having just brought in a freight off the 4km branch from the port area at Teluk Nibung.

attachicon.gifV200_3_278_1600.jpg

Is that Allen straight link valve gear?

Unfortunately I'm not an expert in these matters.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GMTXLocoAB07thMay2019Web.jpg.120fee3fa7bd87eb0750f6bb36ea9c47.jpg

Taken on 7th May 2019 at Bedford Nova Scotia, crossing the Sackville river - (Perhaps it was going home .)

GMTX 2257 - I believe its a GP 38-2 ?

GMTXLocoAA07thMay2019web.jpg.f0bb022e456345c042033e6111464846.jpg

P.S. A few moments later just after it had crossed..

Edited by Bill
add another pic..
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill said:

GMTX 2257 - I believe its a GP 38-2 ?

Yes, internally it's a GP38-2: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=206762

However, it was built as a GP38AC (GTW 6211) and upgraded later. It still retains some external characteristics of a GP38AC - a significant one is the missing water level sight glass on the engineer's side of the long hood. Your pictures show that it's not there.

Here's a summary of the differences between a 'straight' GP38 and a GP38-2:

http://trainiax.net/mephase-emdgp38-2.php

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Unicorn1 said:

RHDR No1 'Southern Maid' shortly after leaving Dungeness with he 1.15 Dungeness to Hythe  on 21st August 2019.

229220458_No1small.jpg.9a2523027c4b909ac64e15ba83173964.jpg

Thanks for sharing a great photo Les. Brings back happy memories for me of when York Boys Club went on their annual 2 weeks holiday to the Maddieson holiday camp at Littlestones back in the late '60s early '70s (also went to the one at Hemsby one year). I believe the old holiday camp at Littlestones has pretty much gone now and has been redeveloped into a caravan park and renamed Romney Sands. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iands said:

Thanks for sharing a great photo Les. Brings back happy memories for me of when York Boys Club went on their annual 2 weeks holiday to the Maddieson holiday camp at Littlestones back in the late '60s early '70s (also went to the one at Hemsby one year). I believe the old holiday camp at Littlestones has pretty much gone now and has been redeveloped into a caravan park and renamed Romney Sands. 

Thanks Ian.

As a kid from London I stayed at a similar camp at St Mary's Bay - just up the road from Dymchurch, I believe it was a former Army barracks. It was 1970, and for an 11 year it was great fun, especially as on the first evening I saw one of these locos running past our playing field - the seed was sown!

Romney Sands has it's own station on the RHDR.

Les

• Like 1

Another one from yesterday on the RHDR.

No2 'Northern Chief' hurries across the shingle towards Dungeness station. The weather was warm - so no good steam effects unfortunately - but a nice day to out and about on the marshes.

IMGP7903B.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On holiday in Bavaria recently, I was introduced to the Dampfbahn Fraenkische Scweiz E>V Ebermannstadt - Behringersmuehle. Our train was hauled by this 0-8-0T, a lovely, but rugged design of, I was told, industrial vintage.  The train was actually doubled headed on its outward journey, the other locomotive being this delicate little 0-4-0T. They're both very modellable locomotives. 

0-8-0T rear three quarters view photo 2 lower resolution.jpg

0-8-0T side view exp.jpg

0-4-0T on DFS exp.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...