Selling 0 gauge - How?

Hello all,

I've decided to sell the majority of my 0 gauge stock amounting to about 15 to 16 wagons/vans and a kit built 08. I wondered what would be the best way to sell?

All stock is based around the '65 to '75 era so I could sell as a single lot. Would this be the best way to go?

Some items ar not yet complete but only require paint, or in the case of the 08 , minor fittings ( it is operational) are they still saleable like this?

My final query; is it better to sell on here or EBay? What are other sellers experiences? I've never sold on EBay (or here!) ...

You could sell it as a "single lot" but it all depends on the price; as we've seen on Ebay people selling large collections, some over £1000, rarely sell because a lot of people don't have the money at short notice like that.  You may also find that, for example, someone wants the 08 and 3 of the wagons to complete a collection but doesn't want the other stuff so don't bother to bid.

I would start with RMWeb classifieds, perhaps listing all the items individually with prices in one post, suggesting you're happy to negotiate deals for multiple purchases, and see what happens.

If you were a member of the Gauge O Guild there is the "Sales & Wants" on their forum but it's for members only.

If you need to shift it quickly to realise cash - any amount - then you could try one of the traders but from experience I would consider this a last resort.

Ebay tends to attract idiots, so even listing it as O gauge people will ask "is it Hornby" thinking it's OO and you've mislabelled it.  If you have the patience Ebay is worth it as you have a larger audience available but with RMWeb in the majority you have serious modellers who actually know their stuff and whether what you're selling is what they want.  Perhaps dropping a note in the 7mm forum here to say there's stuff in classifieds once you've done it is the safest way to maximise exposure.

Depending on the prices, a lot of people will take part built, unpainted or even badly finished models, if they're cheap enough as a risk to get a bargain, if they have suitable skills themselves to do it justice.  But you'd really need to make sure everything was listed accurately and illustrated so people know exactly what they're getting - clearly missing a set of wheels is easier to fix, for example, than a plastic wagon with a big hole in the side of it following an accident with a soldering iron.

You could list the items here and people might be able to give you an idea of what sort of prices you are likely to get.

Thank you for the sound advice. I'm not in a hurry and all is in good running order (although a couple need minor finishing). I think the unpainted items may well be a bonus as the buyer has more scope for any preferred scheme.

I just need the experiences of other sellers to gauge the best approach.

At the moment here seems the best option.

You will find that "part built" models are worth a lot less than "new, unboxed" but then fully finished models generally command a higher price than their "new unboxed" version as the hard work has already been done - but, as you rightly point out, that does limit the options as the work of stripping and repainting someone else's model may then make it much less hassle to just buy the kit and build it yourself, particularly if the kit is a fairly straightforward and readily available one.

The buyer always wants a bargain, the seller always wants to get the maximum price they can, and it's finding that "mid point" where everyone is happy that is the difficult bit.  Of course with Ebay people can bid so the prices can go anywhere, whereas here tends to be a fixed price so that may also make a difference in how is best for you to proceed.

• RMweb Gold

If you are a member of the Gauge 0 Guild there is also the "Bring & Buy" stand at their annual Guildex show in Telford (September). It is always very busy and a first point of call for many show visitors. No postage costs, and no comebacks because it is all "sold as seen".

Details: http://gauge0guild.com/Bring&Buy.asp

edit to add link

I would put them on Ebay in single lots, finishing on a Sunday evening around 8pm. If listed on a free listing weekend then you can start the bidding on the minimum you think they are worth without it costing you anything. Enter them in the correct category (0 gauge or finescale). Offer reduced postage for multi-buys. Nice in focus photo and clear description. 

Well presented 0 gauge items do fetch high prices on Ebay, highly likely to obtain higher net prices, even after Ebay & Paypal take their cut by selling on Ebay as there is a very large world wide audience. Sorry if I am annoying those who dislike Ebay.

Do you mind me asking why you're selling up? If it's too personal a question then no worries. It's a shame though as I was interested in following your progress.

Steve

Steve,

The reason is that I now have about 15 0 gauge models and they take up space with storage. I have limited time too and want to push on with a project in 4mm scale. The sale of the 7mm stuff will fund the 4mm building. From what i read many modellers find themselves in this situation at times.

Regards

Stu

Archived