The Lofty Heights

silky_jack

I know in N gauge the ratio kit has a brass etch of a weigh bridge, it might not bear the same makers name but similar in style, wonder if the 00 version has the etchattachicon.gif32272.jpgimage from Antics website, image believed to be Ratio publicity photo.

The "oo" version carries the same advert so would presume it's the same.

It would be a good back up I think. Though you can't see if it is as intricate as the Goathland one in post 173

RA524 ratio weighbridge and hut appears to be a plastic version 

$T2eC16J,!)kE9s4Z-532BRoJf-pVE!~~60_12.J  £5.50. With a free hut it seems worth investigating.Though the plate is behind the picture. Before they moved premises they used to be shut on Mondays, I expect the same. I will investigate. The size might be an issue. Never having spoken to an etching company I have no idea of price but if anyone goes to Goathland and measures the actual weighplate with the great picture supplied, or if google earth can come up with the goods..........shall investigate more....but later....

• 3 weeks later...

It's been sloooooooooooow progress.  I am working on track, points and wiring at the mo so not a huge amount to report.  Been finding it hard to find the time to do it too....when I do go in the loft my kids want to play trains (which I obviously enjoy) so that means progress has been slowed a bit. 

Ah but then you are engaging in that old time practice....................enjoying playing with the trains.............and with your kids....... what could be better  :sungum:

If you have a cat and some cat food and an empty wagon and a bridge for said cat to negotiate this fun can be enjoyed by the animals too  :taunt:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone....no huge update to post although I have been making progress so will try and get some photos on here sooner rather than later. However, I do have a question regarding Ballast that I would really like opinions on:

When it comes to ballasting for OO gauge, is it generally suggested to use ballast for N gauge? Or should I just use the OO stuff?

Thanks
Ian

Hi

Nice to see you.  In general use N gauge, the rocks in some OO gauge would be the size of your head.  However that said, it is variable between manufacturers.  We actually ended up making a mix of a few different brands and sizes until we were happy with the texture look and colour mix.

here is what ours looks like:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-all-hail-to-the-ale/?p=1077744

Though it may not be to your taste

Hi Kal,

I really like the ballast you've ended up with as there are some unusual but very realistic colours in there that not many people would have thought to use.  Do you happen to know what the mix was made up of in the end?  Also, did you use an applicator tool or just spread it by hand?

Morning S/J..........you've been  awol..awhile........

I used what is shewn,below,  the right packet,is modelling dust.

All mixed in various quantities,in a plastic container.

result's in pic 2, & 3.

just buy a pkt of of various grades,experiment,till you get what you want..............

8615031276_e3affe4c13.jpg

8615031182_2806283d07.jpg

8609987278_08df7d7db0.jpg

8609279072_48ffd09760.jpg

Hi

I got a big tub and mixed various bits in, is a bit of a concoction, to get it the way I wanted it to look, having taken a bunch of Photos at ECML of the ballast.

It is Approx   1 part Hornby purple, Woodland scenics 1 part brown, 2 parts buff, 4 part light grey one being course and 3 fine... and 5 parts dark grey 1 course, 4 fine.... with a few sprinkles of cinder thrown in and then a large bag of Guagemaster granite.

I do not know the exact amounts because I just kept adding a bit trying it, then like some mad chef, hmmm needs a bit of, purple, hmmm bit of brown etc.

What i found from looking is that there was assorts of different detritus and stones in older ballast and so as long as it is not a stark transition from one area to next it seems to work.

It still needs weathering, but I like it.

Hope these help

post-11566-0-07197800-1389700477_thumb.jpg

post-11566-0-71038900-1389700501_thumb.jpg

Jaz has some more on her iPhoto

I added this picture too, but I do not think it is mine, so if someone wants to claim it I will give them credit or remove

post-11566-0-78633500-1389700487_thumb.jpg

Yep

but I wanted to make enough to do all of AV. Of course you could buy small packets and mix as you like. that way you only buy more of the colours you prefer.  If you have a small hoover and a pair of tights, you can put it down, umm and arrr about it and then such it back up into the tights to reblend and try again

a small hoover and a pair of tights

I bought one of those small, battery operated Hand Held Vacuum cleaners, with a clear compartment for the dust   ....  it was meant for the car and the caravan   ........    but   ....   perfect for loose Ballast and also loose Flock etc.

Just empty and it can be washed out if needed   .........

NB. Get in less trouble with the Management, over loose tights too  .................    :warning:

Lovely to see you have a chance to spend some time on the layout. We are lucky because we are both interested. But family is important and balance is not always easy, on the other hand, sometimes our house looks like a bomb hit it! Even though the layout moves a long splendidly.

Hi all,

Just a few little updates to show you.  

I have finished the ramp up to the lime/coal drops in Goathland station:

2hhdpxd.jpg

oggq6g.jpg

t4uvyp.jpg

The yard area is getting there now in terms of track etc....just a few bits left to do like the turntable etc:

63zzhw.jpg

205jef.jpg

55nus9.jpg

I put the brewery in place to get an idea of space etc...

qqwx9y.jpg

2dlkgfs.jpg

And finally it was time to get the track cleaned......again!!

2btm3d.jpg

That's it for now....most of the update is not visible such as wiring and point motors.  I am still finding the odd bit of track that needs tweaking when running trains so want to get all the testing fully done before I attempt too much scenery or ballasting.  

Cheers

Ian

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the kind feedback.  I am really happy so far with how Goathland is coming along (based on the limitations on space I have).  However, one thing I am slightly disappointed about is that I have underestimated how much space I have used up in getting all the buildings in the right spot.  It is becoming apparent that in front of the goods shed, I am going to have no space to include the stream so I am a little miffed and need to rethink what I can do about this. :( 

Archived