Leeds South - A modern relic

MichaelW

Having glued the first gantry together, I have slowly got another two done, and tonight chopped up the first one, glued it to the inside of the ends, and propped the walls together to see what it looked like:

post-6640-0-92536300-1354233991.jpg

post-6640-0-72724400-1354233992.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, with especially from the end with the trees. Unfortunately it now looks to be too wide at the other end - the platform is very narrow, and there doesn't seem to be enough room to unload wagons mechanically. I'll cut the end wall down next time I'm playing with it. It is very obvious that it needs a door or two on the platform side, large enough for a forklift or similar. Narrowing the end wall will leave it without space to put a door I think.

• 2 months later...

Eee... it's been a while since I was on here.  The layout has been temporarily moved downstairs into the lounge while I do a little bit of diy upstairs, but at least the work means the underfloor heating now works well...

I'd like to say I've finally got off my lazy ass and got on with the layout, but given the warm floor and the cold evening, it's more like I've got my ass on the floor and got on with the building.  Having looked at the photos I posted last time, I decided that the building was sticking too far out across the platform, and needed to go on a diet.  So tonight's efforts have been to trim the wall down, then cut some access doors into the long side, and tidy up round the openings.  Rather than going for one big door, I decided it just needed doors big enough to get a forklift through, so decided on two, fairly evenly spaced down the side.  

I've managed to find some pallet trolleys to go on the platform, unfortunately having had to pack up the railway room for the DIY, I'm not sure where they are anymore...  Oh well.  Probably could do with finding a fork-lift or two as well...

Erm... You're right, it looks like it will be.  Bet they think it'll just take over the mainline platforms and be done nice and cheaply.  Which is a shame as the mainline platforms were being prepped for re-opening to relieve the intense overcrowding on the existing 4 platforms.  Just as that project was getting going, someone comes up with a grand plan that will stop all work.  All those commuters will be up in arms at losing their access to the city centre.  No doubt there'll be a letter writing campaign to move the station... Still, it's a good few years off, and Leeds is getting busier...

And now I've managed to persuade my phone to talk to me again, I can show what I did last night:

post-6640-0-98249500-1360328656.jpg

I've still got to make the doors to fit in the holes, I don't think I can do them open though - the branchline sector plate gets quite close to them inside the building.  The poor fit of the end will get masked by a covering piece.  It's beginning to look quite good at this end now...

Thank you Joseph!  I know it does, the theory being that it's either been properly laid in the past and not disturbed since, or it's just been relaid.  Once I get the scrub and undergrowth in there, I don't think there'll be much ballast to admire ;)

Well, despite the recent distraction of a rather good looking 4mm 4MT, I've been getting on with the fabricators shed tonight, with the doorways filled with, erm, doors, and the main frames of the building cut down to size, and glued onto the front wall:

post-6640-0-57377400-1360626074.jpg

Once the roof is cut out, I'll be able to get the building assembled and try it in place without having to hold it all together...

Archived