ex-LNER O4/5 in EM

Judging by the angle of the sun, I'd say we are most likely looking East  South East and it's afternoon. Not sure though. Just possible it could be very early morning and we're looking North West.

Hi Clem, 

Hope you don't mind a small thread hijack, but those interested in the locos of Colwick may be also be interested in our new layout. It's coming along rather slowly but various clubroom issues are having to take priority. Need to keep a roof over our heads!

Really must get some more up to date pictures, the bridges look really impressive in my opinion.

http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/trentlane.htm

Hi Clem, 

Hope you don't mind a small thread hijack, but those interested in the locos of Colwick may be also be interested in our new layout. It's coming along rather slowly but various clubroom issues are having to take priority. Need to keep a roof over our heads!

Really must get some more up to date pictures, the bridges look really impressive in my opinion.

http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/trentlane.htm

Hijacking? Absolutely not. Any interest in the GN lines around Notts also interests me greatly. The layout looks very, very impressive. It was a very impressive place, in the same way as Bagthorpe Junction was. It's the kind of junction layout that is ideal for a club layout and for exhibiting. Always something on the go and perfect for the punters. Of course, the suburban railway girder bridge flyover was removed in 1954 and the line hadn't been used since 1941 but I'm guessing you guys are operating a little modeller's licence here and having it remain open, and why not! In spite of living less than 2 miles away, I only specifically visited Trent Lane very late on in steam days... about 1964 and even then it was busy. Trip freights from Colwick to London Road plus all of the coal and iron ore that used to use the back line until it closed in April 1960. The there is Manvers Street goods depot and more trip working.... And if you're modelling pre-1953, you can have LMS 2Ps on the Northampton-Nottingham Victoria trains (London Road Low Level before 1944). On the midland, on passenger,  you got compounds, 2Ps, 4MT tanks, and of course D11/1s and D16/3s after Lincoln St Marks came under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Region.....   But of course I'm sure you're aware of all this and much more. Yes, definitely an very admirable choice of venue! I look forward to seeing it when complete. (I assume you'll exhibit it at the EMMRE one March weekend in the not too distant future?

Clem

• RMweb Premium

With your second shot, are you roughly looking in the same direction as this....

Absolutely. I believe the field to the right of the train has been developed and has become a community play area & 'memorial' to a local person.

I find this whole exploration of the Colwick area fascinating having never known it in the good old days! 

Phil

Great Central - great project. I need to see this when it's 'out' so that I can place it in my 'geographical' head!

Looking forward to more discussion around this O4 territory.

Phil

Hi Phil, How many heads have you got then? :-)  I agree it is a great project. Trent Lane Junction for the uninitiated was just to the east of Nottingham (less than a mile from Midland and London Road stations. Originally there was the Midland Nottingham-Lincoln line built I think 1838-ish? (not very au fait with the Midland). When the Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway started (and finished!) with the line from Nottingham to Grantham, it originally joined the Midland at Netherfield and originally the Midland were favourites to run it. But the GN appealed more to the shareholders and in 1853 the GN started operating the line albeit with Ambergate Locos. After one of their locos was kidnapped and marooned at Nottingham, the GN decided to build its own terminus at Nottingham London Road. It's still there and is now a fitness club! A new section of line ran along side the Midland from what was Netherfield Junction to London Road and the Junction was taken out, not to be put back until 1967. The GN desperately wanted to get its hands on the lucrative coal trade from the East Midlands and so built a line from Colwick, 2-3 miles east of Nottingham around the North East  and North side of Nottingham out to the West to Derby and Pinxton and a few years later North, up the Leen Valley up to Langwith. In the 1880s the GN had a joint venture with the LNWR for a line from Northampton to Bottesford to link up with the GN's line from the Nottingham-Grantham line to Newark and on to Doncaster and also on to the Nottingham-Grantham line itself. A cutoff was built from Stathern Junction to Saxondale Junction on the Nottingham-Grantham line and this allowed a passenger service from Northampton to Nottingham as well as LNWR freights both into Colwick yards (by this time a large concern mainly GN but the LNWR had their own sorting sidings too) and into Nottingham (Manvers Street) goods depot. It was at this stage that Trent Lane Junction came into being consisting of the divergence of the line into Manvers Street Goods depot from the main GN line into Nottingham London Road station from which trains at that time ran to Derby, Stafford, Pinxton, Shirebrook, Grantham and, via the GN/LNWR joint line, to Northampton Then in 1889 a group of Nottingham businessmen financed the Nottingham Suburban Railway which, going East from Nottingham London Road came off  going East at Trent Lane Junction via a flying junction. The line, built for the growing population in the suburbs to the East of Nottingham, however was ill-fated consisting of fairly severe gradients. I believe the Derby and Pinxton trains continued to use the longer route via Colwick East curve and Gedling whilst the Shirebrook trains used the Nottingham Suburban trains. However the line was only just over 10 years old when the new trams drained the Suburban line of revenue and it stations was closed to passengers in 1916. The Shirebrook trains continued to use the line as a cut off until 1933 after which the line was only served by a pick up freight. The line was severed by bombing just North of Trent Lane Junction in May 1941 and was then only worked by a 3 times a week pick up worked from the Daybrook end. Back to the 1890's and the Great Central came to Nottingham in 1898 and the Joint Station (Great Central and Great Northern) opened and a link line built between Trent Lane Junction and Weekday Cross on the Great Central just south of the new joint station which in 1901 became known as Nottingham (Victoria). The GN trains from that point onwards ran into Nottingham (Victoria)  - the Derby and Pinxton trains from the North and so now no longer passing Trent Lane but the Grantham trains via the new link from Trent Lane to Weekday Cross. Also, a service was introduced from Basford and Bulwell to Nottingham Victoria via Daybrook and Colwick and Netherfield and therfore passing Trent Lane. Also the Northampton trains continued to use London Road until 1944.

Through all this GN and LNWR progress the MIdland line to Lincoln had continued to plough on under the complex junctions built over it at ... Trent Lane. So there it is in a nutshell! Although the Midland's Lincoln line ran along side the GN's London Road terminus there was no direct connection although there was I think 3 exchange sidings through which seaside excursions from the Midland were occasionally used to back in and out of and on to the GN in the 1950s. 

All that's left now is the Midland and with the link at Netherfield restored even the Grantham trains have used the Midland since 1967. For anyone in the know of course, nothing is using it at the moment as Nottingham is a train free city now until August 25th when the station reopens after major works.

I hope that's not too dry - it always hard to describe without a map!

Clem

• RMweb Premium

Cracker Clem. Have just got the six heads I'm afraid as several have decomposed with age! Anyhow, I can sort of picture the situation you describe so fully, as I have 'explored' quite a lot to the east of 'Midland and have some good books on the area. I used to drive into work through the Colwick area before the new ring route came into use and it took me ages to get oriented re what had been there and around the racecourse. As I've said elsewhere and on other subjects, I would know quite a lot about 'lost lines' around my old birthplace and could point out what had been where in the main. However, things like this around Nottingham are a mostly a mystery to me. 

By jove the area east of Midland must have been a real network of lines and so much must have gone, as has the GC of course. I have really enjoyed tracing the old GC route north from Victoria just recently.

Thanks very much for spending the time explaining this. When the club layout is seen I shall probably be able to get my 'positioning' sorted in relation to today's existing tracks . 

What a layout it is going to be and all those lovely freights......wonderful.

Phil

I didn't want to hijack this thread (again!) so I've put some pictures of our Trent Lane Junction layout here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74756-nottinghams-new-layout/

Incidentally, several of the boards will form part of a display in Netherfield in October. Gedling Borough Council are organising a weekend showcasing the railways of the area. When I've got some more info, i'll post it on the TLJ thread

• 1 month later...

post-15879-0-29704200-1380320631_thumb.jpg

Looks like an ex-Scr loco as it has got the shunters step at the rear side with handrail for the shunter to hold onto on the bunker side.

Dead right, Andy. I think it left Scotland in the early 50's and then did the rounds in the East Midlands being at New England and Grantham before coming to Colwick. I've built a Connoisseurs Model of another of Colwick's J69s - 68629 which was a Colwick engine from late 1955 having come from Stratford. It was one of a small number of the class fitted with a shorted GE chimney (68626 was another).  It's a lovely runner but unfortunately they were never used on passenger on the line I'm modelling and the only time they would have been seen would have been on the weekly trip to Derby to reside as yard pilot and then it there was as much chance it would be a J52 or a  J50. I've still got to fit the Westinghouse pump when it's been weathered. (it's done and painted - just a couple of minutes to fit it - it's just getting round to it!)

It was Victoria Road part way down at least, my now wife worked at the large factory which has now been replaced by housing. In her time it was Jersey Kapwood fabrics, I'm darned if I can remember what it was before.

There is one of the 'Lost railways' type books which has some significant errors in it, not sure if it's that one though, like saying the GC went through Plumtree!

Archived