Chilwell Ordnance Depot

neilc83

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me. Im after some pictures of the old ordnance railway that ran out of chilwell and onto the main line at Attenborough. I have found some images of the old viaduct using google but cant seem to find anything for the layout/engines or daily routine for the railway. 

I know this is a long shot but I remember it as a lad but as its many years ago now since it was dug up, I was hoping someone else could help me out.

Many thanks in advance.

Neil

You might find this interesting: http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1103&p=73562. I lived in Breaston for a couple of years (1974-76), worked in Nottingham and passed over the railway into Chilwell in the bus every workday. I do remember seeing wagons with damaged vehicles on them on the tracks in the depot, but don't remember seeing anything moving. That bridge over the railway was the highest point in the immediate area. On a couple of foggy days, the bus went up onto that bridge, climbed out of the low-lying fog into clear air, with a view right across the Trent valley, then went back down into the fog again.

Thanks to you both. I remember the bridge there as a lad but didn't appreciate the size of the structure. I can remember the demolition and the stores that were left there as well as the loco shed for many years after that. Sad these things change but they call it progress.

Cheers

Neil

I remember it well in the late 1960's onwards and I actually live now on what at one time was part of the depot. In the latter part of the 1970's traffic was genearally tripped from Nottingham as seen here  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5760253103/ (see also the caption). In my day the depot was shunted by a couple of Army DH 0-6-0's. The siding layout was such that the tyre wear was uneven so periodically they would be "let out" on to the main line to run down to Nottingham to turn on the Mansfield Junction, Lenton North, Lenton South triangle

• RMweb Gold

I remember it well in the late 1960's onwards and I actually live now on what at one time was part of the depot. In the latter part of the 1970's traffic was genearally tripped from Nottingham as seen here  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5760253103/ (see also the caption). In my day the depot was shunted by a couple of Army DH 0-6-0's. The siding layout was such that the tyre wear was uneven so periodically they would be "let out" on to the main line to run down to Nottingham to turn on the Mansfield Junction, Lenton North, Lenton South triangle

I reckon the whole train is going to Chilwell and the minerals are reach wagons.

Mike.

I well remember the viaduct over the lines into the Depot but I've never been aby to find any photos other than the one on the Picturethepast website, sadly with the barbedwire across the tracks.

Neil, can you send a link to the pictures you've found of the viaduct please?

Here's my interpretation of it in Trainz

165pj.jpg

Like PH above, I never remember seeing anything moving in the depot, even with the great view the road bridge afforded into what was a prohibited area.  I do remember a walk with my parents, with me on my bike, aged about 8, coming up Barton Lane.  The gate at the top was open, leading onto the railway sidings, so of course I rode on, over the level crossing, had a go at unsucessfully pulling a point lever and rode back again.  It was then my mother pointed out the notice which said something like "This is a Prohibited Place under the Official Secrets Act.  Anybody found Trespassing will be arrested..."  One guilty-feeling 8-year old for the next couple of weeks...

The following may be of interest

The first is from 1975, showing 9T26, one of the most interesting workings, serving Babbington (Cinderhill) Colliery, Raleigh Sidings, Wilford CEGB and the ROF, as well as MacIntyre's Scrapyard, Boots and Chilwell, Class 25 hauled.

post-1762-0-01930200-1374670775_thumb.jpg

By 1981 the 9T02 had gone to 08 haulage

post-1762-0-20585000-1374670797.jpg

and in 1982, (loco not specified) the 9T01 states "Attach MacIntyres and Chilwell Traffic" at Nottingham West Yd, but is only shown as serving MacIntyres.  Also the 9T32 (2xClass 20) is also shown "Marshalled as ...MacIntyres, Boots...", but does not serve either location.

post-1762-0-07613500-1374670821_thumb.jpg

This probably means JohnW's pic of the 25 at Lenton was the last year of the 9T26, and it could be the minerals were from Wilford CEGB.

I remember the line leading into the Depot seemed to be shallow ballasted just where it ran next to the main line, and the exit signal (I now know this was a fullsized 3A TT351) was on a striped blackandwhite post.

Can anybody confirm when the crossover from the Up lines by Attenborough crossing leading into the Depot were removed?

Hope this is of interest

David

Thanks for the pictures. Neil.  I'd not realised the viaduct was quite so intricate, nor that it was entirely in concrete.  That's what comes from only seeing it from the top.  I was cycling across it one winter, and got snowballed from a passing car...

We were there last week, in the heatwave.  My wife went to Next & Matalan, son was in Sportsdirect and I took the dog for a walk down to the levelcrossing and along the track next to the railway (any excuse?)

I was trying to work out exactly where things were.

Barton Lane was dead straight, so must have joined the main road (last one of Neil's pictures above) just next to McDonalds, where there is currently some new building going on.

The railway exchange sidings were next to the tank testing track, now where the hotel is, and the railway crossed the road under the viaduct just about exactly where the traffic lights are now.

I've just read your first post again, Neil.  You were asking about the layout.  Check your PMs.

David

Archived