Ratio SR Van

I was given a couple of the Ratio vans for Christmas. I plan to build one as per the kit, but i want to build the other one with 9 foot wheel base. I am wondering what parkside kit underframe(s) would be appropriate?

Colin Martin

Parkside do a couple of 9' wb underframes- PA07 and PA08. The former is the Morton type with brakeshoes on one side only, the latter is the 'Independent' type where there is no cross-shaft joining the two sides. I've only located one shot of a 9' van on Paul Bartlett's site, and it's very difficult to tell which one would be most appropriate- it looks as though there are shoes on both sides.

Parkside do a couple of 9' wb underframes- PA07 and PA08. The former is the Morton type with brakeshoes on one side only, the latter is the 'Independent' type where there is no cross-shaft joining the two sides. I've only located one shot of a 9' van on Paul Bartlett's site, and it's very difficult to tell which one would be most appropriate- it looks as though there are shoes on both sides.

Like you Brian, I'd have to check to be sure, but I'd suspect the PA08, as even some of the 10ft wb vans that were vac fitted by BR had double/independent brakes when built

Thank you for your information. It sounds like the PA 08 underframe is what I am going to need to do the Southern 'Freighter Brake' ether side brake arrangement.

Colin Martin

As someone else has posted, these might be a bit short- how about the Cambrian ones?

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html

may have the type you're looking for.

Yep, it'll be short (I never spotted that either, tsh :rolleyes: ) as 16 tonners were only 16ft6 over headstocks

I think ABS do the Freighter gear:

http://www.wrightlines.net/

(yes, I know...)

'Freighter' brakes is just the name of bog standard either side afaik with their various attempts at vacuum gear being given different names. The normal brake gera just looked like RCH to me wheras ABS does do the one style of vacuum brake with the vac cylinder on the centreline.

'Freighter' brakes is just the name of bog standard either side afaik with their various attempts at vacuum gear being given different names. The normal brake gera just looked like RCH to me wheras ABS does do the one style of vacuum brake with the vac cylinder on the centreline.

You might well be right Craig, I'd assumed cos it had a name it was something out of the ordinary ;) Now I think of it, wasnt 'Monarch' that early fitted gear?

Archived