Small Plymouth Goods in P4

fender

finished a couple of shock vans. sorry the lighting is a little poor. I should invest in one of those daylight bulbs.

P1020827_zpsohxshtnb.jpg

P1020830_zpsigi9ahyq.jpg

edit: just noticed I've included door springs on the bottom one! no idea how that escaped my attention. will remove forthwith!

Hi Fender,

Looking great! I really should stop looking at all these EM/P4 layouts, otherwise I might get ideas...  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :no:

It certainly is coming together nicely, and I especially like the way you have modeled the disused cattle dock.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Fender,

Looking great! I really should stop looking at all these EM/P4 layouts, otherwise I might get ideas...  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :no:

It certainly is coming together nicely, and I especially like the way you have modeled the disused cattle dock.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Regards,

Peter

Keep looking. Get ideas. It's a lot more rewarding, for me at least.

started a process of upgrading my Pannier tank.

possibly a strange place to start, but I began with the couplings. they are the 51L ones from Wizards. very fiddly! not sure if they will survive proper coupling operation (the way I have put them together), so I'll probably just use the instanters on the wagons to couple to the loco. I think they've improved the look though, need to be painted and weathered:

P1020848_zpsns1li4qk.jpg

need some etched lamp brackets (anyone know where from? hard to find), real coal, loco crew, fire irons, replacement coupling rods, painting, weathering etc..

possibly a strange place to start, but I began with the couplings. they are the 51L ones from Wizards. very fiddly! not sure if they will survive proper coupling operation (the way I have put them together), so I'll probably just use the instanters on the wagons to couple to the loco. I think they've improved the look though, need to be painted and weathered:

P1020848_zpsns1li4qk.jpg

need some etched lamp brackets (anyone know where from? hard to find), real coal, loco crew, fire irons, replacement coupling rods, painting, weathering etc..

I made lamp irons from small strips of brass that I cut to size and then bent to shape.

• RMweb Premium

P1020848_zpsns1li4qk.jpg

Craftsman Models do/did etched lamp irons. The mainly trains etches are somewhat over size.

Craftsman Models do/did etched lamp irons. The mainly trains etches are somewhat over size.

thanks. I asked about them from Wizard models but apparently out of stock and limited possibility of getting any more...

I will try to make my own.

not really sure why Bachmann didn't include functioning ones on the Pannier tank, as they've done so well with almost everything else.

A fine layout, thank you for sharing your progress.

Much better than the - massively overscale - Mainly Trains lamp irons are those from Masokits. These fold up from two layers of thin brass and give a very strong result that can be pinned to the model. No website as such, and ordering is by cheque and post only (because that's the way Mike Clark wants to do things) but the Scalefour Society host the catalogue:

http://traders.scalefour.org/masokits/

Masokits also produce some excellent screw couplings which, unlike every other design I've encountered, survive in service. One can be seen on the end of this van:

post-256-0-21745900-1432104761_thumb.gif

Adam

thanks for all the tips on lamp irons and screw couplings. :)

after some weeks of chin scratching and fiddliness I have abandoned my attempts to replace the Toad handrails on the Ratio kit and decided to marry the chassis with my Bachmann model instead (kit bodging is becoming a theme of late!)

first attempts at the verandah end:

P1020882_zpsv3b8vb3r.jpg

this will require a lot more work but I quite like the way it is progressing.

I have also done a lot of work on the goods shed:

P1020884_zps1zezfxau.jpg

roof added, gutters added, cardboard end bits painted in brick colour. just the downpipes and the weathering and this one will be done! (the platform is a separate project...)

note to self (and anyone else who might be considering building a Metcalfe kit): PAINT THE EXPOSED ENDS BEFORE ASSEMBLY.....MUCH EASIER!!!! (guess how I know) :D

• 2 weeks later...

been weathering the platform. I've found that I can do a decent job of weathering walls but flat surfaces are another story. unfortunately the platform surfaces haven't come out as well as I'd hoped but will be very difficult to reverse. I should have kept it as it was before weathering!

P1020945_zpsvhhmszjf.jpg

P1020946_zpsfooneuhp.jpg

P1020947_zpspmk2csib.jpg

P1020948_zps7b2ftyxn.jpg

although sometimes real life weathering goes wrong too!

P1020878_zpso89b5ahn.jpg

totally overdone! :D

• 5 months later...

June? JUNE? wow...

only managed a few things over the last few months, among them the completion of the weighbridge hut. however, the main thing has been over the last week or so, when I've made some good progress on the goods shed canopy. here it is precariously propped up with some half-finished stock in the background:

P1020962_zpsvcbtdc37.jpg

P1020963_zpseokeec2y.jpg

• 6 months later...

at one-update-every-six-months, this may take a while, especially as I have started another layout now as well! however, I have not been completely neglecting this, having worked quite a bit on the houses, platform canopy, crane and loading gauge. you can see some of this progress in the image below:

P1030067_zps8dnq7ei6.jpg

the crane needs a little touching up and of course the chain and hook added. I have these but need some blackening fluid.

the loading gauge is just plonked there out of the way, it will eventually go right in front of the weighbridge hut.

the canopy is nearly finished, paint-wise, and just needs glazing and weathering. this is a difficult one as I want to use translucent corrugated glazing, but I have no idea when this was invented. I'm pretty sure the original canopy just had plain glass, but the corrugated sheets are so convenient! google has not been my friend with this. I suppose this is made out of their some kind of plastic or fibreglass, both of which were not in any kind of use, if even invented at all, when the shed was built, so I think it will have to be plain glass with the added complication of making frames. :)

Going back to the platform surfaces, they don't look that bad... My vote anyway for what it's worth ;)

Paragon

Addendum/ Post Script:

Sorry, I've just read back through your thread as on my mobile which in the mobile version jumps to the last post!

The rust on the bridge is sublime, I tried the salt technique once but alas it went a little south (using table salt not recommended(joking) ) as the peeling of the salt flakes took the base layer of rust colour with it and left the primer showing, probably more to do with my heavy handedness!

I did weather some Seacow ballast hoppers (way out of era and slightly Off Topic as they were in CE Dutch livery) for a friend, who has since sadly passed on to the great marshalling yard in the sky, reuniting me with them, and achieved a good result by applying a heavy paint to thinner ratio rust colour (a mix up of several rail match enamels I recall?!) and altering the psi on my airbrush to quite a low pressure and what sprayed on was a heavy, partly congealed dark rust colour on top of the livery and this was then dragged down the sides using the cotton bud in thinners approach which was very pleasing to my eyes when matched to prototype pictures...

When I fish them out I'll post a pic if you're interested, the shocvan at the top of this page looks v. Good btw, in fact the whole layout looks sublime, I'm curious, you mentioned a second layout on the go?!

Paragon

recently I have been experimenting with puddles. my previous layout had a few but unfortunately I can't find a way to convincingly use glass for this layout as it is too thick (because I used thin sleepers).

so this attempt is with clear plastic. it is very small and is not easy to get a reflection. not sure if I will try to add more to the the layout. ( need to find some really really really thin glass...like the thinnest cheapest picture frame glass there is, or maybe thinner is more expensive, I don't know. anyway...)

Fantastic looking layout, and very interesting/well documented build.

Having just read the whole thread, a massively out-of-date thought for you re: puddles! You could try microscope cover slips. Typically 25-50mm in size, and <1mm thick. You can pick them up on ebay for a few quid...

Fantastic looking layout, and very interesting/well documented build.

Having just read the whole thread, a massively out-of-date thought for you re: puddles! You could try microscope cover slips. Typically 25-50mm in size, and <1mm thick. You can pick them up on ebay for a few quid...

that's a good idea. will definitely use on a future layout! :)

Going back to the platform surfaces, they don't look that bad... My vote anyway for what it's worth ;)

Paragon

Addendum/ Post Script:

Sorry, I've just read back through your thread as on my mobile which in the mobile version jumps to the last post!

The rust on the bridge is sublime, I tried the salt technique once but alas it went a little south (using table salt not recommended(joking) ) as the peeling of the salt flakes took the base layer of rust colour with it and left the primer showing, probably more to do with my heavy handedness!

I did weather some Seacow ballast hoppers (way out of era and slightly Off Topic as they were in CE Dutch livery) for a friend, who has since sadly passed on to the great marshalling yard in the sky, reuniting me with them, and achieved a good result by applying a heavy paint to thinner ratio rust colour (a mix up of several rail match enamels I recall?!) and altering the psi on my airbrush to quite a low pressure and what sprayed on was a heavy, partly congealed dark rust colour on top of the livery and this was then dragged down the sides using the cotton bud in thinners approach which was very pleasing to my eyes when matched to prototype pictures...

When I fish them out I'll post a pic if you're interested, the shocvan at the top of this page looks v. Good btw, in fact the whole layout looks sublime, I'm curious, you mentioned a second layout on the go?!

Paragon

hi Paragon,

it's just my new N gauge experiment, a very different layout! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110526-southdown/?p=2282928

Archived