Cromer: Modern Image O gauge

Chris Turnbull

I've never been there myself so I'll leave others to comment on its accuracy but it looks like a fantastic bit of modelling and I agree, we need to see more.

The first image deserves to be in the 'Models can look just like the real thing' post!

Well done

Hector

Thats impressive new gen DMU's in 7mm is always a good talking point.

Any info on the layout and stock?

Thanks for sharing

Jack.

This layout has featured in the model railway press from time to time the latest being in the April or May 2011 BRM (I can't remember which).  If you have or can obtain a copy of that all will be revealed!

Chris Turnbull 

That is the spitting image of the back of Morrisons by Cromer station, nice work!

More pictures the better, it looks like a good sized layout. Just DMUs as per the real thing or do you have the odd 'special'?

Just DMUs for two reasons.

• I can sit down at exhibitions without having to get up to couple and uncouple stock.  This is of increasing importance the older I get.
  • I am limited in the length of train I can run by the interlocking for the SPAD indicators (which are fully working and always seem of great interest to railwaymen of all grades but especially drivers and signal engineers for some reason!).

Chris Turnbull 

Did you use Peter Clark kits 156 to create the 153? Or is it a scratchbuilt one? Looks really good

Jack.

The 153s were scratchbuilt some 15 years ago, long before Peter (or anyone else) was marketing kits.  In any event the 153s were converted from 155s of which the body profile is completely different to the 156s.  The window / door configuration is also different so it would not have been possible to convert a 156 even if a kit were available.

Chris Turnbull 

• RMweb Premium

SPAD indicators are one of those things that were introduced before TPWS and were installed in only a few locations. The reason drivers and signal engineers is that very few know how they work! We have one here, and belive it or not it has a lamp out indicator (!) which caused many an hour of head scratching to the S&T lads as to where we were getting the alarm from!

Andy G

• Like 1

Nice to see pics of it Chris. Have you got a 156 in the pipeline yet?

Cheers

Tom

I have had a nearly complete scratchbuilt 156 for a couple of years now.  I got bored with it so have put it away until inspiration returns.  There isn't much left to do - just the underframe detail, seating and painting - so perhaps I will have the urge to complete it one day.  This is supposed to be a hobby which should be enjoyable so I only do things that I feel like doing!

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you posting photos on here Chris. Although I do not model DMU I do like this layout really captures the feel of a real railway. If any of you are Gauge 0 Guild members you can read some articles by Chris on the guild gazette archive. It is also worth seeing in the flesh.

Don

Thanks for the info... ah yes now you mention it i can see the differences in 156's and 153's profile and cab ends.

Impressive scratchbuild

Will look out for the articals in the past mag releases.

Thanks.

Jack.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I am now back at home and have checked out the dates of previous articles of mine.

Model Rail April 2000 where I explained how I scratchbuild my DMUs

Modern Image Modelling Spring 2007 which contained the first description of my layout

British Railway Modelling April 2011 where I updated my 2007 article

As Don says, there are also various articles that have appeared from time to time in the Gauge O Guild Gazette.

Regards

Chris Turnbull

Seen it in the flesh and it's just as good.  What he's probably too modest to mention is Chris' ability to charm junior members of the public to come and drive his trainset for him, explaining all the technicalities of the signalling, etc. at the same time.  He's a great recruiting sergeant for the hobby.

Have you got all the track laid on 'WM' yet, Chris?

• 4 weeks later...

Jonathan

Many thanks for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.

It is very rewarding to engage with youngsters but also very tiring, especially the older I get.

In the meantime here's a shot of Cromer in the raw state at an exhibition.

DEMU-Showcase2009-Cromer-2.jpg.0a0ea26e4ef8354baf462af7be2e37ce.jpg

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 9

Hi, Chris - I'm very happy to see this thread after trying to reach you via PM!  I have a definite soft spot for DMU layouts, especially ones modeled from a real location as faithfully as yours.

If anyone runs across an extra copy of any of the publications that have featured Cromer, please let me know - finding back numbers stateside is quite an adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

Please can you tell me what is the overall size of your layout?

Darren

My apologies for not replying sooner but I have not checked this thread for a while.

The layout is 28 feet overall comprised of an 8 feet fiddle yard and 20 feet scenic section.  It lives in my garage but can only be fully erected by opening the garage doors and using the drive.

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Darren

My apologies for not replying sooner but I have not checked this thread for a while.

The layout is 28 feet overall comprised of an 8 feet fiddle yard and 20 feet scenic section.  It lives in my garage but can only be fully erected by opening the garage doors and using the drive.

Chris Turnbull 

Hi Chris,

No problems, many thanks for that information, my layout will be of a very similar size once completed.

Look forward to further updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

• 3 years later...