Cromer: Modern Image O gauge

Chris Turnbull

Yes, I still have all the stock for this layout.  A class 150/2 in Anglia livery, two class 153s one in "one" livery, the other in Anglia, two 170/2s one in "one" livery, the other in NXEA/Greater Anglia livery, and a class 156 which is unpainted and needs a bit of work to finish the underframe detail.

Chris Turnbull

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

That giant operator in the red shirt appears to be stood in Morrisons loading bay..

Oh ... It's a model..

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Great layout. Certainly inspirational and makes me want to model O gauge, though not sure I've the skills for kit building DMUs like you have.  But the appearance of 66s next year at a reasonable price has me really on the edge

I've tracked down the article from BRM, but cannot find the Model Rail 2000 article you did on building the kits. Can anyone help.  I'm really keen on seeing what you need to do with these kits. 

Is there any thoughts for exhibitions when things get to normal again with the layout. 

For now, I'll salivate at your layout some more 

Update - Just found a YouTube video of layout on tour. Love it... 

Cheers 

Edited by GEOEng03
Video found

Thank you for your kind comments.

I attach the Model Rail article which I hope you find interesting, unfortunately only scanned in black and white, not colour.  I would point out that the stock is all scratchbuilt, not built from kits.

I have received several invitations for next year, Kettering (G0G show), Crewe (MI0G show) and Manchester.  None in the south west, however.  Obviously it all depends on how Covid 19 goes in the following months.

Chris Turnbull

Page 1.pdf

Page 2.pdf

Page 3.pdf

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Chris, 

Many thanks for sharing the scans.  Really appreciate you taking the time to share these with me.  Very informative and what can i say, WOW! I am in awe of your ability with scratch building the DMU's and the effort you went to, to make them as realistic as you have done.  I can imagine it took you many months to get these to where they are and a lot of patience.  I really look forward to seeing in the flesh and getting inspiration.  It was good to see the 170 appear after reading that, that was your next project at the time. 

How did you find painting at that scale, You say that transfers were replaced by hand painting, but the 150 has some detailed patterns that I would struggle with! 

I have been looking at the Peter Clark kits as a way in for the none RTR, but even those seem a bit daunting.  But i can see how much more satisfaction you get from such kits. 

We recently relocated back north for work and to be closer to family after the arrival of our first born, temporarily in Lancashire, but moving over to West Yorkshire later this year, so i will definitely be attending one of those shows (Covid-19 permitting) to see them firsthand. 

Cheers Chris

Bryn

Edited by GEOEng03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the units are spray painted, either with cans or with a Badger airbrush.  The technique is the same as in other scales, just a bigger area!  Start with a white primer base and work to the dark side.  The Anglia spruce green is available from Phoenix Precision Paints after I obtained the colour spec. from Anglia.  The 170s were more difficult as the body colour changed spec. over time and I ended up choosing the nearest match from a range of car spray paints. 

I always spend a lot of time and effort getting the roofs right, both in detail and colour.  This involves much standing about on footbridges waiting for the right unit to appear.  Needless to say I only do this on warm summer days!  I have never found a grey that quite matches modern roofs so the various greys on each unit were hand mixed until I had something I was pleased with. 

The 156 was the easiest if the lot - white primer from Halfords although. with hindsight, I should have used a satin white.

Like the drawings, transfers were not commercially available when I started and that may still be the case.  Some companies are a bit touchy about their commercial logos and guard them jealously.  I hand-painted the Anglia logo on the first rendition of the 150 using Anglia letterheading as a guide.  At the time the prototype units had not been painted so I based the livery on their coach livery.  Shortly afterwards the prototype 150s were painted but in a different style to the coaches.  I repainted mine and replaced the hand-painted Anglia logos with transfers kindly supplied by a friend.

Peter Clark produces some excellent kits.  I have never made any as they have always appeared after my scratchbuilt efforts but if I were starting today I would probably go down that route.

Am I now tempted to build a 755 Flirt?  I have thought about it but it is a big undertaking which could take several years to come to fruition.  Anyway, Peter might produce a kit!

Chris Turnbull    

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My colleague, Geoffrey Howe, and I have decided that the time has come to retire Cromer from the exhibition circuit.  We are not getting any younger which our first exhibition after the Covid hiatus has brought home to us.  The MI0G show at Crewe will be our last and it would be nice to see as many of you as possible.  I intend to put Cromer up for sale - layout, stock. the lot - so if anyone has any spare cash and feels like taking it on then please make yourself known, either in person at the show or you can PM me and I will provide details.

Chris Turnbull  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite understandable.  I had been dithering about whether to go to MIOG or Macclesfield, decided Macclesfield, now dithering again.

Decisions, decisions!
Paul.

21 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Quite understandable.  I had been dithering about whether to go to MIOG or Macclesfield, decided Macclesfield, now dithering again.

Decisions, decisions!
Paul.

Make a weekend of it! One Saturday one Sunday!

@Chris TurnbullI will be having a good look at your 156's if I get chance as I've one of Peter Clarks to build eventually! Now had they been orange & black I'd have been ripping your hands off for them!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D6775 said:

Make a weekend of it! One Saturday one Sunday!

Unfortunately I have other commitments on a Sunday - even more important than Railway Modelling!

Paul.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 21:56, 5BarVT said:

Unfortunately I have other commitments on a Sunday - even more important than Railway Modelling!

Paul.

That's fair enough. Macc is not too far away, you've got 7 hours to do both.  

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

You’ve got me thinking now!  About 1hr on the train plus 15mins (ish) walk at each end so 2hr at Crewe then 3hr at Macc.

Hmm!

Paul.