Show us your scratchbuilt building

The rather austere 1950's lines of the London Midland Type 15 signal box has always appealed to me, but I wanted something different to Bachmann's offering of Hest Bank. This is a model of the smaller 20 lever version, based on 2 x 10ft front panels and the shallow 11' depth.  I've tried to capture a well used box that's a bit rough round the edges, well that's my excuse anyway,  

Built round a perspex box with microstrip glazing and plasticard sheet from my spares box. Rudimentary interior is included, with Smith's etched levers the only purchased item.

post-17870-0-40254200-1513387972_thumb.jpg   

post-17870-0-62909100-1513388139_thumb.jpg

It needs a signalman, and a suitable layout based around the Preston Division in the mid 70's. 

Kingmoorkid 

Edited by Kingmoorkid
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry .. have you got a colour photo you'd like to share? - as others have commented, it's an absolutely lovely model. Would love to see the full colour version.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your kind comments- but here's the original coloured version... before I tidied up the bottom of the picture  :O post-19450-0-95386200-1515513223_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if I missed something earlier, but those are some of the most convincing cobblestones I’ve seen! How did you achieve that effect/look?

Rich

Thanks for comment

First off the cobblestones are from Wills and they come with the handy border around them. So  it's just a case of getting the best fit  into the space available. I took scan of the cobble sheets first and then played around with bits of paper to see what looked best.

The painting is difficult to describe

First I gave the a wash with a weak mix of acrylic burnt umber to fill all the gaps between the stones.

Then it was a case of dry brushing with various acrylic paint colours until it looked right. The important thing is ti use a dry brushing technique so all the colour blend  together

• Like 1

A view of "Hamnavoe", my perpetually imcomplete 009 layout- everything's scratchbuilt apart from the chassis, the tractor, and a few of the ship fittings.attachicon.gifhamnavoe harbour b+w.jpg

Beautiful modelling of Hamnavoe, Jerry. My daughter and I absolutely love the character of the buildings in Stromness. About 6 years ago, after a visit to Orkney, we challenged each other to a fun attempt at creating a model based on some of the buildings. She was half way through her illustration design course at the time and sometimes uses models to create the landscapes for her illustrations. Here is my attempt definitely not fine scale - multi scale with lots of artistic licence, but it was enjoyable - approx 12" x 8". Looking forward to more accurate modelling for the railway projects!

Marlyn

post-33019-0-88096800-1515599623.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 8

Beautiful modelling of Hamnavoe, Jerry. My daughter and I absolutely love the character of the buildings in Stromness. About 6 years ago, after a visit to Orkney, we challenged each other to a fun attempt at creating a model based on some of the buildings. She was half way through her illustration design course at the time and sometimes uses models to create the landscapes for her illustrations. Here is my attempt definitely not fine scale - multi scale with lots of artistic licence, but it was enjoyable - approx 12" x 8". Looking forward to more accurate modelling for the railway projects!

Marlyn

Like that!

A great composition, and I love the subtle tones and the almost organic quality of the structures ...

Oh, no! I've turned into an art critic!

Bags of character, like it a lot.

Ah, but I thought you were an art critic? Thank you for your kind comments.

It is taking me a while to check through the many interesting modellers here, but enjoying finding so many projects which are being worked on, in sheds, garrets and on kitchen tables! I like and share your approach to modelmaking and you have created some beautiful scenarios of traditional buildings. I usually have about ten different things on the go at any one time, some will get finished, but many will be “something to look forward to”! Looking forward to reading more about your modelling exploits.

Marlyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

An appeal for Help!

I am modelling Walsall station 1923/1978 era's. I am looking for detailed photographs of the old gate house and weighbridge from the Bradford Place side of the goods yards. i have searched the internet and local history services to no avail! If any you have any pictures that you are willing to share that would be great, or even if there are other former LNWR yards with old buildings still in existence that I could visit, that would be of help!

This is my attempt at modelling Walsall No2. Box which will be on the same layout.

Many Thanks in advance!

post-16242-0-50599000-1517155023_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Brislines, Really terrific job you've made of that signal box, one of the best I've seen. Proper job.

For letters, try Slaters or Scalelink.

Anyway, try this link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=walsall+station&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&sour

When you get there, click on 'images'

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

Since I've been clogging up the 'Anything you can do .." thread, I thought I'd post the progress on my large "Caledonian" signal box in here for a change!

Here are photos of the painting process on the (mostly) finished exterior. I found some photos of the signal box that inspired the model, showing the brickwork at the junction of the walls being lighter in colour.

So I thought it would be fun to reproduce the effect.

post-26609-0-68423200-1517907495_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-07975900-1517907507_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-89489800-1517907515_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-03228100-1517907526_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Here's another picture of Hamnavoe harbour- loco is a butchered 40-year old Liliput body on a Fleischmann 2-8-4 chassis, cattle wagons scratchbuilt on Peco chassis. 

Thanks for digging out the colour photos - they really show the quality of the models. The tone and overall feel of the location is beautifully rendered - yup I really enjoyed looking at these! 

PS Does this layout go out on exhibition?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a scratch built N/2mm low-relief row of buildings based on ones in Tooley Street, SE1 in the 1980s. They were demolished later to make way for the controversial London Bridge City phase II 'More' development. The model is not yet finished but here is the progress to date:

post-33-0-95639500-1518619625_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting curved sections - how is this produced using the laser-cut method - cut then formed or cut on already curved materials?

I cut those bricks on very thin MDF and then wrapped around a former and glued. Elastic bands etc held in to place until dry.

Apologies for the thread intrusion.

Edited by BrushType4

I've been building a 7mm scale model of Dursley station building as it was in the 1950's after the canopy was cut back but before the Gents was rebuilt.

This is the unfinished model with my building papers on the slate roof. 

40589803451_ea4421f5e6_c.jpg

My customer asked if I could do the roof with overlapping strips, which I don't normally like, but I agreed to alter it. This is the new roof....

39695074775_500a6a042b_c.jpg

I still used my slate paper, but cut it into strips 3 slates wide. I painted the edge that would be seen with Tamiya Field Blue acrylic, and then stuck the strips one on top of the other overlapping by one row of slates, until I had a sheet big enough to cut to size and stick to the roof. I must admit that I'm surprised how good it looks, but this was a small building....I wouldn't want to do a big loco shed that way. 

25719153007_5d262f27f4_c.jpg

The model is going to be part of a larger diorama, but I can't do the baseboards until the snow finally clears. 

38779774970_53ae75f534_c.jpg

26718169288_4e2a88c275_c.jpg

It wasn't much fun outside photographing the model - I didn't linger!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 13

I've been building a 7mm scale model of Dursley station building as it was in the 1950's after the canopy was cut back but before the Gents was rebuilt.

This is the unfinished model with my building papers on the slate roof. 

My customer asked if I could do the roof with overlapping strips, which I don't normally like, but I agreed to alter it. This is the new roof....

I still used my slate paper, but cut it into strips 3 slates wide. I painted the edge that would be seen with Tamiya Field Blue acrylic, and then stuck the strips one on top of the other overlapping by one row of slates, until I had a sheet big enough to cut to size and stick to the roof. I must admit that I'm surprised how good it looks, but this was a small building....I wouldn't want to do a big loco shed that way. 

The model is going to be part of a larger diorama, but I can't do the baseboards until the snow finally clears. 

It wasn't much fun outside photographing the model - I didn't linger!

Peter

Hi Peter - I like using texture papers in some models, but like to have some relief as well. The slates do look really good on this model, but as you say it can be a lot of extra work when it comes to a larger building. Lovely modelmaking and hopefully you will post some pictures of the diorama as well?

• 2 weeks later...