Show us your scratchbuilt building

I agree Pete, I never realised how satisfying it is to build something from scratch until I gave it a go. 
A laser cutter and 3D printing certainly would make things easier for me and enable my building to be somewhat more accurate and a lot neater. For the time being I’ll have to settle on my faithful scalpel and ruler!

I’m not sure I have the patience though to build my structures a second time even if I have learnt lessons along the way!

Time will tell. 

Regards

Hector

• Like 1

So not quite scratchbuilt, more kit bashed - This is my S Scale Rhodesia Railways Wagon and Carriage Inspectors hut. Based on an enlarged Scalescenes printable HO coal office, with new openings, covered in red brick paper, homemade windows and roof sheeting, and a few bits of plastic. The second photo shows the original HO build, a scaled up and slightly modified S Scale build that I did before the actual model.

50010416111_dca13b0e5f_k.jpgWheel Tappers Hut by Wayne, on Flickr 

50010678097_452421ad30_k.jpgIMG_20200601_115756 by Wayne, on Flickr

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2020 at 07:13, 2ManySpams said:

A few progress photos from me of the old grain store from Bodmin North (7mm scale)...

Most impressive. How are you doing the tiles?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2020 at 11:08, aardvark said:

Most impressive. How are you doing the tiles?

Cheers. They are cut from 10thou and 15thou plasticard and applied separately using Limonene (a weak solvent). There's only 3500-4000 of them...:wacko:

IMG_20200501_232933.jpg.867f73323ca97632f68bfd425245478c.jpg

IMG_20200515_220439_1.jpg.28079775ba3f6dca2d300f4a0403b643.jpg

IMG_20200628_215634.jpg.ae831720b2b94a33bb762a9805ad2f6c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Cheers. They are cut from 10thou and 15thou plasticard and applied separately using Limonene (a weak solvent). There's only 3500-4000 of them...:wacko:

All the more impressive!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David jennings said:

Wow!! Can you tell us a bit about how / what materials etc ? 

Hi David.

The building shells are 3mm foamboard covered on the outside walls with a thin layer of Advanced Lightweight Polyfilla which is scribed when dry to represent the stonework.

Roofs are plasticard with slates from selfadhesive matte photopaper, cut into strips using the Silhouette cutter, which is a lot easier than the knife/ruler method I used to use!

Window and door frames etc are made using the Silhouette, as are the decorative awning valances.

The paving slabs, coping stones, chimney stacks and much of the decorative stonework detail is made from the same filler as mentioned above, but cast in slabs 2mm and 3mm thick. It's very easy to cut, sand, file , paint etc; the area of paving on the station concourse is all one piece scribed and painted.

The ironwork for the canopies was designed and cut using the Silhouette cameo.

The 'under construction' timber waiting rooms/refreshment bar is made from plasticard; every bit of it was cut or scribed using the silhouette Cameo. The diagonal 3" planking was scribed on 30 thou using a shallow blade setting on the cutter; much easier than scribing it and far more accurate. Style is based on the waiting shed at Wooler and the verandahs on the other A and C stations.Not the easiest prototypes to copy, but it's right for the model.

Hope this helps.........

Ian

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Commendable work and excellent use of the Silhouette Cutter, best modelling tool I purchased for cutting materials.

G

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My bank holiday weekend scratch-built building project was this low-relief N/2mm scale cinema. It's based on the Regent/ABC at Chatham (High Street) although it was demolished in 2004 and a block of flats built in its place. I made it for fun as I've no need for a cinema, but it will probably end up on a friends layout so I'll leave it to him to select the film(s) and print off suitable decals/signs for the canopy. The advertising of a film name would instantly date it to a specific year and I'm not sure what year he is modelling (just that it the 60s, I think).

Full details of the construction can be found on my thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page/73/

DSC_0045red.jpg.4668a8c42c3137a74abe76f519fa3d07.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...