Show us your scratchbuilt building

I have just finished a 4mm scale model of Stamford Midland station building. The stone was done using photo's of the real building to create my own building papers. The canopy valancing, brackets, doors and windows were laser cut in plastic for me by York Modelmaking.  There has had to be some compromise at the right hand end where the tracks curve sharply in the wrong direction, but that only really affected the low stone wall which had to be set back to leave room for the footbridge. 

37600217202_86ac2e97d3_b.jpg

23779370128_9e9fd5fd73_b.jpg

23779369178_4abcedb825_b.jpg

I surveyed the station in 1982 which has been very useful because several areas have changed since then. The period of the model is early 1960's.

23779368128_59f3fdaf5a_b.jpg

37600214172_624a1abfc9_b.jpg

37632694091_c2c278b923_b.jpg

It's a big model, even in 4mm scale.

37632693481_f4b77a9593_b.jpg

37632692561_36213c2413_b.jpg

37632691831_6052f83daa_b.jpg

Those octagonal chimney stacks are chopped up pencils!

37600209942_98992869fc_b.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 12

Here's another N/2mm scratch-built structure based on a real building although it's been compressed and truncated. It's presumably an old factory that has now been converted in to apartments but the industrial style chimney and hoist framework still exist on the building. The model is made from card and styrene sheet and has taken just three days from design and the first cutting of the card mount-board framework but is not quite complete - there's doors and drainpipes yet to make and add:

post-33-0-54035000-1508250801_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 12

Here's another N/2mm scratch-built structure based on a real building although it's been compressed and truncated. It's presumably an old factory that has now been converted in to apartments but the industrial style chimney and hoist framework still exist on the building. The model is made from card and styrene sheet and has taken just three days from design and the first cutting of the card mount-board framework but is not quite complete - there's doors and drainpipes yet to make and add:

attachicon.gifDSC_3814.JPG

G.

Hi Grahame.

You certainly don't hang about and almost as fast as me but nowhere near as rough !

Another cracking little masterpiece in the making. Stunning stuff.

Cheers.

Allan.

A view of "Hamnavoe", my perpetually imcomplete 009 layout- everything's scratchbuilt apart from the chassis, the tractor, and a few of the ship fittings.attachicon.gifhamnavoe harbour b+w.jpg

Jerry .. have you got a colour photo you'd like to share? - as others have commented, it's an absolutely lovely model. Would love to see the full colour version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to post this, hopefully it's in a reasonably relevant place - it's test pic using stacking images to get greater depth of field. The N/2mm scene is just temporarily put together from bits of various projects: the SR booster electric loco is built from a resin body only kit, the parcels stock is RTR, the background buildings are scratch-built buildings for a layout yet to be built and the track bed is a small diorama for photing models. The image stacking certainly brings everything in to sharp relief and shows up the deficiencies in my modelling:

post-33-0-50801200-1512402925_thumb.jpg

But I hope people like it.

G

• Like 15

I'm not sure where to post this, hopefully it's in a reasonably relevant place - it's test pic using stacking images to get greater depth of field. The N/2mm scene is just temporarily put together from bits of various projects: the SR booster electric loco is built from a resin body only kit, the parcels stock is RTR, the background buildings are scratch-built buildings for a layout yet to be built and the track bed is a small diorama for photing models. The image stacking certainly brings everything in to sharp relief and shows up the deficiencies in my modelling:

attachicon.gifBooster stack test.jpg

But I hope people like it.

G

Come out really well and the focus depth is excellent.

What did you use?

Come out really well and the focus depth is excellent.

What did you use?

Nikon DSLR with Micro 40mm lens set at f9 and manual focus.

Stacking software is Zerene on free trial period.

HTH.

G

• Informative/Useful 1

Nikon DSLR with Micro 40mm lens set at f9 and manual focus.

Stacking software is Zerene on free trial period.

HTH.

G

I originally used Helicon Focus with my Nikon D5100 on manual focus which need to guess the stages by counting four notches on the focusing ring, slow and easy to loose count....

My new Panasonic TZ100 has a post focus program so does that bit automatically then run it a MP4 program that saves each step.

I now now use Serif Affinity that has a focus merge app that puts all the above pictures, sometimes up to 70, through it to merge and give total focus from close to infinity.

• Informative/Useful 1

HI,

A little side project to my Euston layout is Granthams coaling tower scratch built from sheets of plasticard and various plastic strips in 2mm scale. The handrails are bits of wire soldered together.

It’s not quite finished yet and still lots of details, painting and weathering to do. The colour hasn’t come out very well on the photo but it’s been sprayed with Plastikote suede for texture and then Phoenix paints concrete colour airbrushed over the top.

post-10222-0-25249900-1513110765_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 13

HI,

A little side project to my Euston layout is Granthams coaling tower scratch built from sheets of plasticard and various plastic strips in 2mm scale. The handrails are bits of wire soldered together.

It’s not quite finished yet and still lots of details, painting and weathering to do. The colour hasn’t come out very well on the photo but it’s been sprayed with Plastikote suede for texture and then Phoenix paints concrete colour airbrushed over the top.

attachicon.gif5D230705-C9DB-4DEE-8D28-2A0D5A3D9DF7.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Modelling in 2mm was never going to be easy and this coaling tower is an absolute masterpiece.

Wish I could do as well in O Gauge !

Cheers.

Allan.

FWIW - I saw, some time ago, this mix for "Aged Concrete"

10 parts Flat white

3 Parts Yellow

2 Parts Black

1 Part Brown

I haven't had a chance to try it - so can offer no guarantees

If someone uses it, please let me know if it works

Edited by shortliner

HI,

attachicon.gif5D230705-C9DB-4DEE-8D28-2A0D5A3D9DF7.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

That's a great model - everything looks square and it has a real feeling of being a substantial structure.

PS Do you have any tips on making l a long run of steps? I made some long runs for my last signalbox project and it was really fiddly to get an accurate result!

7mm Southern Nouveau Signal Box done, can't do any more as it is going to my customer and will have the windows etc fitted during finishing and painting. 

At this point, most of it is not glued and will disassemble for detailing.

Now for a Christmas drink :)

post-1485-0-91078500-1513181858_thumb.jpeg

post-1485-0-41940000-1513181956_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 14

That's a great model - everything looks square and it has a real feeling of being a substantial structure.

PS Do you have any tips on making l a long run of steps? I made some long runs for my last signalbox project and it was really fiddly to get an accurate result!

Hi,

I used Plastruct steps for the side staircases on the actual tower and I made the steps on the lower platform using bits of plasticard cut almost to the right size and then gently filing the sides down once it was fully built so it was the same width as the platform itself.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

7mm Southern Nouveau Signal Box done, can't do any more as it is going to my customer and will have the windows etc fitted during finishing and painting. 

At this point, most of it is not glued and will disassemble for detailing.

Now for a Christmas drink :)

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_7fe.jpeg

attachicon.gif1i3kVUYvTjG%5gsnLWyafg.jpg

Interesting curved sections - how is this produced using the laser-cut method - cut then formed or cut on already curved materials?