Show us your scratchbuilt building

I've been building a 7mm scale model of Dursley station building as it was in the 1950's after the canopy was cut back but before the Gents was rebuilt.

This is the unfinished model with my building papers on the slate roof. 

40589803451_ea4421f5e6_c.jpg

My customer asked if I could do the roof with overlapping strips, which I don't normally like, but I agreed to alter it. This is the new roof....

39695074775_500a6a042b_c.jpg

I still used my slate paper, but cut it into strips 3 slates wide. I painted the edge that would be seen with Tamiya Field Blue acrylic, and then stuck the strips one on top of the other overlapping by one row of slates, until I had a sheet big enough to cut to size and stick to the roof. I must admit that I'm surprised how good it looks, but this was a small building....I wouldn't want to do a big loco shed that way. 

25719153007_5d262f27f4_c.jpg

The model is going to be part of a larger diorama, but I can't do the baseboards until the snow finally clears. 

38779774970_53ae75f534_c.jpg

26718169288_4e2a88c275_c.jpg

It wasn't much fun outside photographing the model - I didn't linger!

Peter

Absolutely stunning workmanship, Peter, as come to be expected.

Anyway, and if you don't mind, why not use black paper for your tiling strips which will save you the arduous task of having to paint the edges.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Its been a long time coming....but this is the latest building for Kensington Olympia. The TWA Air Terminal / Royal Kensington Hotel building. Scratchbuilt from Mount board and plasticard this is 2mm scale. Its been reduced in length and height but is still a big building. 

The pictures show the Russell Road frontage. The Kensington High Street frontage is the Hotel entrance and unfinished, trying to find some 1970/80s photos of it for the signage. I'm not holding my breath as its been difficult enough trying to get the TWA part correct. This building still exists but the TWA part is now incorporated into the Hotel which is now a Hilton. In real life it dwarfs the adjacent Georgian town houses, here both they and the TWA building are a storey lower than they should be.

gallery_681_3268_79788.jpg

gallery_681_3268_84282.jpg

• Like 13

Aston Webb House in N/2mm scale scratch-built from cardboard and plasticard. It's low relief as it will be located on the back-scene. The model is simplified and compressed so is not an exact scale replica but hopefully captures the look and atmosphere of the real building. It's not yet completed and there are details, like vent pipes and ridge tiles to make and add, but I've run out of Redutex tile texture sheet.

Aston Webb House still exists in Tooley Street as it is listed and is one of a very few buildings to survive the London Bridge City 'More' development blitz at the end of the 20th century. Originally the building was the offices for a brewery/distillers (located behind it) but fell in to disrepair and dereliction when the company ceased trading and was later converted in to apartments. With the round corner towers topped with witches hat conical roofs and a central courtyard, it has something of a French chateau look. However, it was designed by Sir Aston Webb, an English architect, who also designed notable buildings such as Buckingham Palace and the V and A, and was founding chairman of the London Society. 

post-33-0-95840800-1521405062_thumb.jpg

The real building:

post-33-0-93258900-1521405117.jpg

G.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

While snapping the progress of some other model projects, I took the opportunity to take some pics of a number of buildings that I have scratch-built placed in their appropriate grouping for the, hopefully, forthcoming layout. The view is basically from the train on a viaduct which will run left to right in front of them. None of the model buildings are yet completed - I tend to get so far then start on another, hoping to re-visit later for final detailing:

post-33-0-18052600-1522247025_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-98105800-1522247038_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

While snapping the progress of some other model projects, I took the opportunity to take some pics of a number of buildings that I have scratch-built placed in their appropriate grouping for the, hopefully, forthcoming layout. The view is basically from the train on a viaduct which will run left to right in front of them. None of the model buildings are yet completed - I tend to get so far then start on another, hoping to re-visit later for final detailing:

attachicon.gifDSC_5176.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_5179cr.jpg

G.

Very impressive.

• RMweb Premium

Some further progress with n scale buildings for Kensington Olympia. This is the Royal Kensington Hotel and Bristol Cars showroom alongside its next door neighbour the Trans World Airlines terminal building. This block sits between Russell Rd and Holland Rd on Kensington High St and are real buildings although they have been shrunk to fit and simplified a bit. The layout is based in 1980. the combined buildings are approx 12 x 16 inches in size.

gallery_681_3268_776703.jpeg

gallery_681_3268_15365.jpeg

gallery_681_3268_77044.jpeggallery_681_3268_992337.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've posted anything about this structure? It's a canal building (based loosely on on at Bowling Wharf) that I'm adding to my diorama model 'Caledonia Basin'. It's only at the sheet styrene phase but I thought it worth sharing as I rather enjoy other people's work-in-progress photos

post-26609-0-70156200-1524475929_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the building in-situ ...

post-26609-0-30282700-1524476094_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I've posted anything about this structure? It's a canal building (based loosely on on at Bowling Wharf) that I'm adding to my diorama model 'Caledonia Basin'. It's only at the sheet styrene phase but I thought it worth sharing as I rather enjoy other people's work-in-progress photos

attachicon.gif27774203208_a8c173badc_k.jpg

attachicon.gifbowling-basin-01.jpg

Very nice. Just one question - would the building be hard up against the railway retaining walls? I assume that the canal and building were there before the railway and it's embankment. It would have been extremely difficult to build a wall that close to a building and also very different to then maintain it. A very interesting scene though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Very nice. Just one question - would the building be hard up against the railway retaining walls? I assume that the canal and building were there before the railway and it's embankment. It would have been extremely difficult to build a wall that close to a building and also very different to then maintain it. A very interesting scene though.

Ah yes - it is the same thoughts I had when designing the layout! It's difficult to justify something so tight to the wall. Even if the canal building was built subsequent to the railway embankment, I'm not sure how it could have been constructed.

I am working with a small space (it is only a 3 foot x 2 1/2 foot box) and wanted to squeeze in an interesting foreground scene. Artistic license might excuse the gap between the back of the building and the retaining wall as it is largely concealed - but  the little forge on the right can't really work.

Although I've been making buildings for a while, making the whole landscape (especially with lots of different levels) is a newer endeavour and another learning curve!

I'm going to look at it again - maybe see if I can create space to the right of the little forge.

If I get that solved and the paintwork and scenery right maybe it'll be more convincing.

As always - these discussions are much appreciated - it'll help me up my game.

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

attachicon.gif27774203208_a8c173badc_k.jpg

attachicon.gifbowling-basin-01.jpg

Lovely modelmaking and, I agree, it is interesting seeing modellers' techniques at each stage of the construction. Chris's comments are also the realities which we face and the compromises we sometimes have to make to contain an interesting model within a set space.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if, given the railway is likely to have been built after the canal, whether the situation you have (top sketch) would actually be a bit different (lower sketch)? I can't see the railway building more walls than necessary.

post-6675-0-05510400-1524490227_thumb.jpg

The lower version would give you a bit more room for canal junk behind a wooden fence. Just a thought...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the embankment was being built just for the railway, they might have built a low viaduct instead ( ok, more work, more bricks, but then they'd have rentable spaces underneath).

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

If the embankment was being built just for the railway, they might have built a low viaduct instead ( ok, more work, more bricks, but then they'd have rentable spaces underneath).

Possibly, but I was thinking minimum change from existing.

I wonder if, given the railway is likely to have been built after the canal, whether the situation you have (top sketch) would actually be a bit different (lower sketch)? I can't see the railway building more walls than necessary.

attachicon.gifrps20180423_142759.jpg

The lower version would give you a bit more room for canal junk behind a wooden fence. Just a thought...

Cheers for the drawing and the photo - I can see how it would open up the whole area and make the scene more plausible. It's also less stressful to hack the railway walls about than to remodel the canal building ... 

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the drawing and the photo - I can see how it would open up the whole area and make the scene more plausible. It's also less stressful to hack the railway walls about than to remodel the canal building ...

No problem, wouldn't call it a drawing though - more fag packet sketch.

You chaps know your railways - and guess what, the real location from which I took inspiration features and arched embankment ...  I should have stuck with this and not imagined my own environment ...

post-26609-0-31159900-1524497994_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

You chaps know your railways - and guess what, the real location from which I took inspiration features and arched embankment ...  I should have stuck with this and not imagined my own environment ...

attachicon.gifbowling-wharf.jpg

Lots of detail in the photo, you can certainly tell the construction sequence. The railway has very much imposed itself on the canal. Out of interest where is it?

• RMweb Premium

It is Bowling harbour on the north bank of the clyde. 

A few more pics here, the building shown in Brylonscamels  pic can just be seen on the left. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19471-concrete-and-research/

Oh, and since its all about scratchbuilt structures  heres a few pics of the viaduct I made for my layout in the style of the Bowling one. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-20017-some-viaduct-pictures/

• Like 2