Show us your scratchbuilt building

It is Bowling harbour on the north bank of the clyde. 

A few more pics here, the building shown in Brylonscamels  pic can just be seen on the left. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19471-concrete-and-research/

Oh, and since its all about scratchbuilt structures  heres a few pics of the viaduct I made for my layout in the style of the Bowling one. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-20017-some-viaduct-pictures/

Lots of detail in the photo, you can certainly tell the construction sequence. The railway has very much imposed itself on the canal. Out of interest where is it?

Well I think its fair to say this has moved me on a bit with this project! What with the wonderful viaduct modelling in John Dave's reply and the initial observations on my implausible setting for the canal house ...

As a result, I arrived home and ripped out the sloping embankment, leaving me with the job of creating an arched alternative.

I've just popped a rough paper outline of some arches against what remains of the embankment just to get a feel of what is needed.

A couple of steps back but it actually feels like progress. There is space around the buildings and it feels more 'right' .. it also looks like I'll be carving more cobbles!

post-26609-0-86053900-1524518363_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-55649200-1524518392_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

That looks more plausible. Nice move. Can take a bit of courage to restart something but I think in this case that it will be better as a result.

Thanks - its good to have other modelers pass comment - constructive criticism is really helpful. I was already scratching my head and needed a bit of a nudge to rethink what I was doing.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice modelmaking brylonscamel. I always get in a mess with clay, but those setts look the part. 

I have been inside the mechanism for the swing bridge, maybe someday it will get restored. ( mainly since it would be fun to see one of those cyclists that ride along there like they think they are doing the tour de france encounter it in the open position and fall into the canal ) .... 

Very nice modelmaking brylonscamel. I always get in a mess with clay, but those setts look the part. 

I have been inside the mechanism for the swing bridge, maybe someday it will get restored. ( mainly since it would be fun to see one of those cyclists that ride along there like they think they are doing the tour de france encounter it in the open position and fall into the canal ) .... 

.. oh! I'd better watch out as I'm often to be found whizzing along abandoned railway line cycle paths. I tend to shy away from Tour de France speeds though ..

Here's a scratch-built derelict warehouse building in N/2mm scale. It's not finished (just like many of my other building efforts are) as there's still details to make and add (like gutters and drainpipes). To the front right is a tea packing warehouse converted to offices (modelled but not shown in this pic) as it will obscure any view of the crane so I'm not sure if I'll stick with it . . .

post-33-0-40046500-1524596952_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Based on the Thorburn, Bain & Co. envelope manufacturers factory South London. Made from card, brickpaper, straws and aerosol tops. a low relief building 54inches long, if you want more description of its build page 92 post 2279 refers. all the best Adrian.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham/page-92

post-17489-0-66514400-1524737552.jpg

post-17489-0-87393600-1524737559.jpg

post-17489-0-37750700-1524737570.jpg

post-17489-0-36369800-1524737578.jpg

post-17489-0-14393900-1524737599.jpg

post-17489-0-35072600-1524737622.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks - its good to have other modelers pass comment - constructive criticism is really helpful. I was already scratching my head and needed a bit of a nudge to rethink what I was doing.

Well here's the result of an evening re-imagining the scene with an arched railway embankment. I like the change - it has even introduced an interesting space at the rear of the canal house. Plenty of room to maintain the rear of the building and give access to the railway structure.

An unsatisfactory part of the story has been edited - I think the new chapter is a better read!

Thanks all ...

post-26609-0-48233200-1524911847_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-89429000-1524911860_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-96237700-1524912339_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 11

That's really looking good Brylon and very typical of space starved  situations where space was at a premium and where  the most unlikely structures rubbed shoulders together. Very real situation. Very convincing. Superbly executed. Stunning model making - as usual.

Cheers.

Allan.

That's really looking good Brylon and very typical of space starved  situations where space was at a premium and where  the most unlikely structures rubbed shoulders together. Very real situation. Very convincing. Superbly executed. Stunning model making - as usual.

Cheers.

Allan.

Allan that's such a lovely supportive message - you probably saw the thread but I was persuaded to rethink the embankment (something that was already bothering me) by a chat on this forum. The modelers here are proving very helpful. Even the criticism is pitched nicely - and the rethink was just what was needed. It's given much more interesting angles on the railway and you're right, it now reproduces just the sort of space-starved scene that I was trying to achieve in the first place .

I put the little Andrew Barclay over the new card structure this evening and it looks cute-as-a-button ;-)

post-26609-0-08770200-1524958549_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Here's a scratch-built derelict warehouse building in N/2mm scale. It's not finished (just like many of my other building efforts are) as there's still details to make and add (like gutters and drainpipes). To the front right is a tea packing warehouse converted to offices (modelled but not shown in this pic) as it will obscure any view of the crane so I'm not sure if I'll stick with it . . .

attachicon.gifDSC_5544.JPG

G.

Loving this piece of tiny demolition and the wall-themed graffiti is a hilarious addition ...

Edited by brylonscamel

Not posted on here for a while as been busy with Cakebox Challenges!!!!!

One of favourite buildings taken from an unusual angle to give the impression of height and size.

post-8925-0-98365400-1524999683_thumb.jpg

Building on a modular base and I had removed it to work on it.

This allowed me to set the camera up at a very low angle looking upwards which gave this excellent perspective view of the buildings.

All built out of greyboard with brick papers, roof Wills slate tiles, windows and doors from LCut.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

Well here's the result of an evening re-imagining the scene with an arched railway embankment. I like the change - it has even introduced an interesting space at the rear of the canal house. Plenty of room to maintain the rear of the building and give access to the railway structure.

An unsatisfactory part of the story has been edited - I think the new chapter is a better read!

Thanks all ...

arches-01.jpg

arches-02.jpg

arches-04.jpg

Really great work. I looked at Bowling a while back (along with other locations between Glasgow and Helensburgh/Dumbarton) for ideas for a possible future layout (if space ever becomes available, usual proviso!), the various bridges, canal etc being a very attractive proposition, the feel of which you have captured superbly! Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

Really great work. I looked at Bowling a while back (along with other locations between Glasgow and Helensburgh/Dumbarton) for ideas for a possible future layout (if space ever becomes available, usual proviso!), the various bridges, canal etc being a very attractive proposition, the feel of which you have captured superbly!

Thanks! .. and I agree - it is a corner of the world full of modelling potential.

I was attracted to the area having bought a couple of books about the canals in Southern Scotland. The canals appear to dance over and under railways, and are full of all sorts of movable bridges! I read in one book that "Bowling boasted that from this bridge (The Railway Swing Bridge) - five public ways could be seen: The Caledonian and North British Railways, the River Clyde, the road from Dumbarton to Glasgow and the Forth & Clyde Canal, and that at no other place in the British Isles could this be seen". I can't help thinking this was a desperate claim for some unique position in the World but charming nonetheless!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1

A couple of Southern Railway concrete buildings I lasercut and painted. I used Suede effect Plasitkote from a rattle can for the concrete look and humbrol green for everything else. Needs weathering but pleased with how easy it was to get to this stage.

post-1485-0-49835400-1525081243_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week I've made a start on scratch-building two more buildings (in N/2mm scale). The first, 29-33 Tooley Street, still exists and is now a Woman's Centre as part of the London Bridge Hospital complex. Prior to that it was shipping offices. The second which was next to it is 37-45 Tooley Street and was known as Dominion House. Although it was still standing in 1982 it has since been demolished and replaced by the modern plastic clad Cottons Centre which opened in the late 90s.

The models are compressed and simplified, and are far from complete - details are still to be made and added, glazing to be undertaken, and painting and weathering carried out. However, being at the back of the layout, behind a viaduct and against the back-scene they don't need to be infinitely detailed and some of the features, like the stripey columns on the lower floor of Dominion House will be painted on (like those on Aston Webb House model I've also recently made - see post #1538). The front wall panels are not yet fixed in place (to allow for fitting windows/glazing from behind)and are only resting against the structural framework. But here's pics of them showing how far I've managed to get since I first decided to make them six days ago.

post-33-0-46110300-1526148923_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-45110600-1526148956_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a crack at an improved set of railway arches, based on some real ones at Bowling Basin on the Forth & Clyde Canal. I'm using a mix of grey board and plastic - with a newly acquired little disc cutter. Lets just say that it has proved very useful as its all about the curves! .....

Ctuting the various styrene and card pieces ...

post-26609-0-73075400-1526988741_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-76802200-1526988862_thumb.jpg

checking the arches for fit ...

post-26609-0-71474600-1526988759_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-07370800-1526988815_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-15290800-1526988840_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've been having a crack at an improved set of railway arches, based on some real ones at Bowling Basin on the Forth & Clyde Canal. I'm using a mix of grey board and plastic - with a newly acquired little disc cutter. Lets just say that it has proved very useful as its all about the curves! .....

attachicon.gifarches-making-01.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-making-02.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-02.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-04.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-06.jpg

Very impressive.

Which disc cutter are you using ?

attachicon.gifarches-making-01.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-making-02.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-02.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-04.jpg

attachicon.gifarches-06.jpg

Nicely done Brian, it'll make all the difference on you diorama.