Show us your scratchbuilt building

No, it will be posted. I normally crop out the car roof before I post my pictures but I was being lazy today. I can't photograph models in my garden without getting other houses in the background so I drive a mile out of town, put them on the car roof and do the pictures there. The only problem sometimes is that the cows in the field get curious and come over to the fence to see what's going on! 

Peter

• 1 month later...

There's some excellent structure modelling on this thread but it seems to have gone rather quiet of lately - nothing for over a month.

To hopefully re-kick things off here's my latest efforts. It is far from complete but is supposed to represent the complex junction of Borough High Street, London Bridge, Duke Street Hill and Railway Approach - and which is made additionally tricky by the various levels and slopes, and all in N/2mm. This little scene will be a the back of the layout.

post-33-0-08914900-1541843999_thumb.jpg

The buildings, all scratch-built, are from left to right: Southwark cathedral (low relief with progressive compression), Bank Chambers (now a pub), Bridge House, Hibernia Wharf/Two London Bridge, then across the road No.1 London Bridge tower block with in front the pavement ramp London Bridge Walk that passes under Colechurch House (out of shot). Across the front will be the high level railway viaduct.

G

• Like 17

And now for something completely different!   

If you are familiar with the Jacques Tati film 'Mon Oncle' you will recognise this house:

43074212540_11ec505243_c.jpg

It was just a film set, built in the square of a small French town and then taken down again afterwards. Our hero, Monsieur Hulot, lives in the top part on the left and can be seen unlocking his front door.

43074211240_70bb5034d9.jpg

just seen this, that's lovely Pete.

This is what it looks like in 16mm scale (1/19th). The model is 600mm long and a maximum of 300mm wide and will stand against the wall. The limiting factor was the maximum height of 550mm, which means that the roof and chimneys have had to be truncated. 

31013237808_1736506444_c.jpg

31013239308_83ac93e7d5_c.jpg

44835764782_4c31778b50_c.jpg

31013242188_d932a50f3d_c.jpg

31013247288_7ab41b4f20_c.jpg

31013251478_022e6f861c_c.jpg

Now all I've got to do is get it to France where the owner lives!

Peter

• 1 month later...

A first venture into scratch building, following the exceptional inspiration to be found in this thread   :)

post-34848-0-04735700-1546199209_thumb.jpg

post-34848-0-99757100-1546199222_thumb.jpg

Based on the viaduct at Corfe, with some appropriate motive power. A few details such as the front balustrade pieces on the columns still to add before it gets the paint and weathering treatment.

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 14

A first venture into scratch building, following the exceptional inspiration to be found in this thread   :)

attachicon.gifIMG_2186.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2189.jpg

Based on the viaduct at Corfe, with some appropriate motive power. A few details such as the front balustrade pieces on the columns still to add before it gets the paint and weathering treatment.

I've just returned to this thread to see what people have been up to and (as always) its proved a worthwhile visit. This is a super piece of work, so neat and well executed. When it's this good 'naked' it should produce a beauty after weathering.

A quick question - is this all scribed into foam board?

I've posted this pic elsewhere on this forum (in my 'scratch-built card and styrene structures based on real buildings' thread) but as an update to the view in post #1638 (above on this thread) the pic below shows how things have since moved on (and it's still far from complete):

post-33-0-02535300-1546691918_thumb.jpg

All the buildings are scratch-built, based on real structures and N/2mm scale.

G.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the comments and likes; most encouraging.

I've just returned to this thread to see what people have been up to and (as always) its proved a worthwhile visit. This is a super piece of work, so neat and well executed. When it's this good 'naked' it should produce a beauty after weathering.

A quick question - is this all scribed into foam board?

Thank you very much. It is indeed -- I find scribing with a pencil as is usually recommended to result in tearing the material, so my method is to draw the pattern on in pencil, cut along the resulting pattern with a shallow scalpel cut, and then widen out the mortar courses with a pencil afterwards.

post-34848-0-25948300-1546878614_thumb.jpg

Got a bit of paint on. The real thing has essentially no colour variation between individual stones or indeed much noticeable mortar colour, so I'll highlight a few areas of the mortar in white as can be seen on the prototype but it won't be widespread. I'm pleased with the slight shade differences using the dry brush and most of all with managing to avoid drowning the detail out with excessive paint!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments and likes; most encouraging.

Thank you very much. It is indeed -- I find scribing with a pencil as is usually recommended to result in tearing the material, so my method is to draw the pattern on in pencil, cut along the resulting pattern with a shallow scalpel cut, and then widen out the mortar courses with a pencil afterwards.

attachicon.gifIMG_2217.jpg

Got a bit of paint on. The real thing has essentially no colour variation between individual stones or indeed much noticeable mortar colour, so I'll highlight a few areas of the mortar in white as can be seen on the prototype but it won't be widespread. I'm pleased with the slight shade differences using the dry brush and most of all with managing to avoid drowning the detail out with excessive paint!

Superb modelling. The hand-scribed stonework is very nice indeed and I really like the colouring you have done. Very impressive. Hope to see pics of it on a layout soon!

• 4 months later...

I've just finished, over the past few days, reading through the whole of this thread, I'm really impressed by the modelling on show here, quality I can only hope to achieve. I hope it's ok to resurrect it from its few months of dormancy because over those past few days I've also been working on my first scratchbuild - a petrol station. Perhaps oddly it was some photos of old petrol stations that inspired me to get back into railway modelling, so the first building for my still in the planning stage layout is this.

It's partially inspired by, and the sign copied almost exactly from, a small petrol station in the village of Trewellard near St Just - picture at the end.

Essentially I designed my own kit with Photoshop and stuck it to mountboard for construction.

It's pretty simple but I'm pleased with it for a first go.

FB_IMG_1556996924212.jpg

FB_IMG_1556996914856.jpg

20190503_230337.jpg

4835313051_e51b4a36dc_b (1).jpg

Edited by ThatJackGuy
Spotted a typo!
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

A few of a 7mm provender store from me:

All made from plastic and painted with acrylics.

Top notch that Chris, the acrylic paint and weathering look particularly good.

Gonna see it on WT real soon?

Cheers 

Ade

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread, of recent, seems to have been rather neglected which is a shame as there have been some pics of super model structures posted.

Here's one of my efforts; a low relief row (based on real buildings) in N/2mm. It's completely scratch-built although not yet finished. For example the large white building, Battlebridge House, has yet to have the upper storeys window frames and glazing made and installed;

BBHc.jpg.c371310c3a46bea40ca65009f9a1b01e.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Campaman said:

A couple from the John Ahern miniature building construction book, but built similar to the Pendon way.

A village pump

Harbour Office

Cottages in a scenic tray

The Outhouse

Lovely work that.

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...