Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi brylonscamel,

the answer to your question is Yes,, its a full time profession as an Architectural model maker, I work for private clients, businesses  etc, many of my customers are in the Hobby, one of my main subjects on here are of the Peterborough North project as well as Carlisle and others.

cheers

Peter A L

Hi brylonscamel,

the answer to your question is Yes,, its a full time profession as an Architectural model maker, I work for private clients, businesses  etc, many of my customers are in the Hobby, one of my main subjects on here are of the Peterborough North project as well as Carlisle and others.

cheers

Peter A L

.. well you certainly deserve your professional status! .. the only thing that I can come close to matching is the state of your cutting mat.

• Like 2

The man who can produce a clean cutting mat is a man who has never produced anything.

The man that can produce a messy cutting mat is a messy bxxxxr.

The man that can do either,  both, or none at all, hasn't been born yet.

Confucius.

Edited by allan downes

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is my very first attempt at scratch building,  I needed a CLASP style building to represent an admin and TOPS office for my ongoing layout

I overlaid perspex with Slaters 2mm planked plasticard and Evergreen strip for the window frames etc and used a piece of wet and dry on the roof to represent roofing felt, I also added some 'Faller' office furniture inside, I may fit lighting yet.

The building didn't turn out quite as good as I had hoped but I don't think it too bad for a first attempt but please let me know what you guy's think.

Michael

OfficeFront_zpsrrfdugnq.jpg[

[/OfficeSide_zpsjsrivnlb.jpg[/url]

[OfficeInterior2_zpshgy1jjh0.jpg[/url]

I can't imagine what you're disappointed about. Looks very convincing and should look even better once on your layout with, perhaps, a little weathering and a few weeds around.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment Rob, yes it does need a bit more work done to finish, not sure about the White doors.

Michael

Thank you posting photos and how-to description of your model, which looks pretty good to me. Maybe a few coffee and tea stains on the carpet . . .

• RMweb Premium

If that's your first scratch build Michael you've done very well indeed! I take it that it is 4mm scale so is a very tidy build, the over scale pictures can be cruel showing up things that the eye at can't see at typical viewing distance.

Thanks for checking out the step by step on my Dunster thread, it makes it all worth while to know the time taken posting all that has been read.

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Thank you very much for the kind words, yes it is 4mm and you're right about the camera showing up things that wouldn't normally be seen.

It's guy's like yourself and other scratch builders on here that gives us beginners the inspiration to have a go at scratch building and to try to produce some buildings that are somewhere close to the excellent work that has been produced here by you guy's.

Michael

I think this counts as my first full-size 4mm scale scratch-build, as the other cottages have been built at slightly smaller scales in order to force perspective. 

As has been pointed out, there really ought to be some door furniture!

The façade textures, including the windows, are taken from a photograph of a house in Norfolk.  Roof slates are Scalescenes, as is the chimney brick and the lead flashing.  Chimney pots are paper, guttering is paper, downpipe is florist's wire, glazing from packaging, wisteria is from tea leaves (used).  Budget modelling!

post-25673-0-51679100-1457951120_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-99090800-1457951145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

My latest is this small station building for Ripe;

Wills Sheets provide the brickwork, windows from the bits box (Wills and Ratio most probably). Lintels are thin cardboard, roof is Wills Slate. Ratio Bargeboards and Guttering.

The lean-to Gents has a roof made of balsa, with a dried baby wipe, painted accordingly to represent felt. The interior is Balsa and Scalescenes sheets.

I only have the one photo of the completed building taken in decent, natural light, but the others are from the construction stage. All feedback, good or bad, would be welcomed!

Platform Side;

post-723-0-17979100-1459174789.jpg

Gents;

post-723-0-11039500-1459174810.jpg

Forecourt side

post-723-0-54950400-1459174812.jpg

• Like 7