Show us your scratchbuilt building

For my current project, there is a need to create some representations of buildings that exist (or used to exist) in the real location. These predominantly use Metcalfe brick card (am I allowed to continue?) as a reasonably quick and easy way of 'setting the scene'. I claim them to be little more than that.

post-16151-0-77101200-1375260445_thumb.jpg

Railway workers cottages

post-16151-0-91586800-1375260490_thumb.jpg

Model version. I created a 'kit' with the Metcalfe card stuck on to 1mm card for reinforcing. Mrs4479 then assembled the 'kit'!

post-16151-0-79075700-1375260673_thumb.jpg

Station buildings (refreshment room below; staff accommodation above - as was)

post-16151-0-40933700-1375260844_thumb.jpg

Model version (slightly condensed). Same technique. I used Superquick slate sheet for the roof covering which looks better than the Metcalfe on the cottages. Research showed chimney pots were square - these are from Dart Castings.

post-16151-0-07812000-1375261011_thumb.jpg

Rear section of the goods shed (the only bit that survives)

post-16151-0-01425800-1375261115_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-72290000-1375261165_thumb.jpg

This is a somewhat larger model and is built round a 4mm hardboard shell. Smooth side outwards, rough side inwards (a coat of paint on the latter gives an impression of texture but can't otherwise be seen)

post-16151-0-71564200-1375261418_thumb.jpg

And finally the overall look when such buildings are put together, which is the overall effect I'm after.

I cheerfully admit that they probably don't compare with many of the 'mere mortal' offerings already seen in this thread but happy to post all the same in the spirit of the OP (I think!?)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12

Man!!! there is some really amazing modeling going on here in both plasticard and paper. I like it all , it is firing up my creative juices to get cracking on some other stuff now folks :-) Thanks for sharing it all .

Martin

This is a warehouse that I built for my Westerham Station layout. it's been constructed from card & plasticard.

The signage on the end of the building is marvelous, and the bay windows on the terrace make me very jealous!

Doug

For my current project, there is a need to create some representations of buildings that exist (or used to exist) in the real location. These predominantly use Metcalfe brick card (am I allowed to continue?) as a reasonably quick and easy way of 'setting the scene'. I claim them to be little more than that.

I cheerfully admit that they probably don't compare with many of the 'mere mortal' offerings already seen in this thread but happy to post all the same in the spirit of the OP (I think!?)

I think they look great.  The main stand out difference in "quality" between these and other offerings in this thread is in weathering.  Once you get them bedded in on the layout and weathered there is no reason to think they won't look just as good.