Show us your scratchbuilt building

I think they look great.  The main stand out difference in "quality" between these and other offerings in this thread is in weathering.  Once you get them bedded in on the layout and weathered there is no reason to think they won't look just as good.

Thanks,

So come on then, with so many of you great luminaries on here, how exactly do you weather a printed cardboard surface? (which already has a hint of weathering in the printing but perhaps too uniform). I take it any sort of wet wash technique is out(!) and any past dry-brushing attempts just ended up looking like...er... well like someone has attacked it with a brush loaded with dry paint!

Hello, these are some of my dads scratch built buildings, they are exact replicas of Evenwood station in the North East.

post-19436-0-46290700-1375359769_thumb.jpg

Evenwood signal box, note the unusual roof.

post-19436-0-25543100-1375359806_thumb.jpg

The other side.

post-19436-0-95861800-1375359830_thumb.jpg

The signal box interior, still needs a signal man

post-19436-0-50377200-1375359878_thumb.jpg

Another view showing the levers

post-19436-0-33539900-1375360008_thumb.jpg

Now the station waiting room, the platform will align with the doors.

post-19436-0-82890800-1375360087_thumb.jpg

The inside of the main waiting room.

post-19436-0-84920700-1375360141_thumb.jpg

Another view with the fire place.

post-19436-0-36726000-1375360183_thumb.jpg

The steps to the platform with a outhouse and coal bunker.

post-19436-0-90586700-1375360229_thumb.jpg

Another view with the enamel signs.

Please click on the photo for better quality.

That's all we have done so far, all of these are 4mm oo gauge and are built with metcalfe brick card.

All of the buildings on this thread are of a very high standard, so hopefully this will meet the standard.

Thanks

• Like 9

Hello, these are some of my dads scratch built buildings, they are exact replicas of Evenwood station in the North East.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The other side.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's all we have done so far, all of these are 4mm oo gauge and are built with metcalfe brick card.

All of the buildings on this thread are of a very high standard, so hopefully this will meet the standard.

Thanks

This 'G' scale interior quality, don't try and kid us it's 'OO' ! VG Star...

Doug

GNHotelpt10003-Copy_zps7f6dedef.jpg

GNHotelpt10009-Copy_zps571bad49.jpg

GNHotelpt10013_zps14dd4dca.jpg

GNHotelpt10017_zps7f6da04a.jpg

GrtNorthhotel005_zpsdb020204.jpg

GrtNorthhotel007-1.jpg

This is brilliant, I really like the roof weathering.

Not sure if it is me but it looks like your valley lead is above the slates not below, it is the only let down for me as a builder.

• Like 2

Thanks,

So come on then, with so many of you great luminaries on here, how exactly do you weather a printed cardboard surface? (which already has a hint of weathering in the printing but perhaps too uniform). I take it any sort of wet wash technique is out(!) and any past dry-brushing attempts just ended up looking like...er... well like someone has attacked it with a brush loaded with dry paint!

I use colored pencils mostly works a treat

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The other side.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks

That is some excellent modeling I LOVE the floors he did , all of them are so well done :-)

Thanks,

I use cheap pastel colours from The Works- not as aggressive as art shop types. Just rub them side on then use your precision digit (finger) to spread where you want- use several colours and build up required result. The latter colours dont need so much as they will catch the previously applied pastel.

Steve

They're amazing, I wouldn't have the skill (or patientce for that matter :)) to do that!

Went to your link hornbyfan and I reckon you've got all it takes to build a great model railway - go for it !

Hornbyfan's link said - "As I'm moving, doing anything with my main layout is pointless at the moment. So I'm hoping to build a small shunting/branch line station terminus layout. There a number of points that I'm hoping to include:

Good operating interest, eg. goods yard for shunting

Be able to expand if needed

Portable; maybe exhibitions and for moving house

I've operated on an O gauge layout that was very similar to this and spent quite a few hours on it until my mum came to fetch me. My only suitable loco at the moment is a Bachmann Ivatt 2mt (the tender version) but I'm hoping to get Bachmanns 4f and J11 as well as Hornbys new Sentinel if it's any good. Other locos may also be added funds permitting.

This will be first proper layout so I'm hoping to learn base board building, wiring, ballasting and scenery as well as whatever else needs doing. It's probably going to end up as an Inglenook puzzle, but with a small station. It will be steam era, but I'm hoping to keep it general for other eras that I may get into such as BR blue. I'll be posting progress, although the layout isn't even in planning stage yet."

Cheers, and best wishes.

Allan.

Forgot to mention guys, hornbyfan is 14 years old - watch this space.

Edited by allan downes

Went to your link hornbyfan and I reckon you've got all it takes to build a great model railway - go for it !

Hornby link said - "As I'm moving, doing anything with my main layout is pointless at the moment. So I'm hoping to build a small shunting/branch line station terminus layout. There a number of points that I'm hoping to include:

Good operating interest, eg. goods yard for shunting

Be able to expand if needed

Portable; maybe exhibitions and for moving house

I've operated on an O gauge layout that was very similar to this and spent quite a few hours on it until my mum came to fetch me. My only suitable loco at the moment is a Bachmann Ivatt 2mt (the tender version) but I'm hoping to get Bachmanns 4f and J11 as well as Hornbys new Sentinel if it's any good. Other locos may also be added funds permitting.

This will be first proper layout so I'm hoping to learn base board building, wiring, ballasting and scenery as well as whatever else needs doing. It's probably going to end up as an Inglenook puzzle, but with a small station. It will be steam era, but I'm hoping to keep it general for other eras that I may get into such as BR blue. I'll be posting progress, although the layout isn't even in planning stage yet."

Cheers, and best wishes.

Allan.

Thanks, the layouts coming along nicely, the baseboards been built and the trackplan is just about sorted. I'm planning to scratchbuild a cattle dock, unloading/loading platform, goods shed, stores shed and guard/entrance building at least. 

• Like 1

Thanks, the layouts coming along nicely, the baseboards been built and the trackplan is just about sorted. I'm planning to scratchbuild a cattle dock, unloading/loading platform, goods shed, stores shed and guard/entrance building at least. 

Great to hear it, and remember, any help you need, just call, there's plenty of guys on here who would be only too willing to help.

Cheers, and pictures soon yeh?

Allan.

Thanks,

I have explained my methods in post 77. It works for Metcalfe models too. [Ah! But be I a gert lunamery?]

Doug

Edited by Chubber