Show us your scratchbuilt building

Nicely done Brian, it'll make all the difference on you diorama.

Cheers .. I'm learning to stick to the details in such a small model. I've had a couple of false starts whilst building this but I'm enjoying it more as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

In preparation for the layout that I hope to build “one day”, I decided to try a bit of scratch building. This is my attempt at a small Bavarian halt in the late 1930s, based on the one at Hellengerst on the line from Kempten to Isny.

post-11270-0-67217100-1528314530_thumb.jpg

I believe it is an Agenturgebäude type A1, which consisted of a goods shed, office and restroom. The restroom is the small extension on the platform at the front under the gable roof - and it was a swine to fit.

post-11270-0-32261100-1528314557_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the mug, any layout that uses it will be based on the Fränkische Schweiz, northeast of Nürnberg. However, at the moment it is just sitting on a spare bit of board and waiting for inspiration to hit me. Meanwhile, you can see the original here.

http://www.kbaystb.de/kbaystb-kbaystb/kbaystb-bahnhoefe/kbaystb-bahnhoefe_haag-hurzfurt/kbaystb-bahnhoefe-hellengerst/kbaystb-bahnhoefe_hellengerst.htm

Tony

• Like 7

I've been working on a fairly complex building, actually two buildings, Denmark House and Emblem House that are mashed together that is in Tooley Street next to London Bridge station. It's all scratch-built from card/mount-board and plasticard/styrene sheet. As usual it's N/2mm scale heavily compressed and simplified and, as in the pic below, is far from complete. There's still plenty to do including adding the windows and gluing all the sub-assemblies (like the wall panels, roof sections, dormers, etc.,) together - currently they are only loosely located in position. Plus I've only added basic blocks of colour and this needs adding to and tidying up:

post-33-0-21921400-1528565980_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Really like the finish you’ve got on it

Brian

It's mount card, with the top layer of paper peeled off, a coat of enamel grey and then dry-brushed with a darker grey, just catching the high points.

• 1 month later...

Making the most of a wet weekend:
I returned to the cutting mat and some progress with an industrial building that I'm scratch-building for my wharf scene.
After looking at some rather wonderful brick buildings in the Glasgow area, I decided to add a nice decorative tower (of a type that often conceals a stairwell) to a building that I had already started.

Much fun of late has been trying to replicate those lovely decorative arched windows that you see in many of these buildings. They also fit nicely with the brick railway arches that have similar round 'romanesque' arches. 

Cutting round arches in plain and embossed styrene sheet. The idea being to create depth and texture by layering sheets on top of each other:

post-26609-0-05548600-1532945056_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-34492700-1532945049_thumb.jpg

How the tower will eventually fit within two flanking brick facades:

post-26609-0-04788100-1532945018_thumb.jpg

The tower comes together nicely with all those lovely curved arches and decorative stone pillars. You've got to hand it to those Victorian architects - they did relish a decorative embelishment

post-26609-0-65663200-1532945039_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Well here goes, I thought I would share my first O Gauge scratch built station building which is still on the workbench.

I have found that by taking photographs as I go along it certainly highlights the errors which will hopefully be corrected as I progress with it.

It is to be placed on an ongoing small early period GW layout currently under construction and I have made use of my Silhouette cutter for most of the build, which I suppose means I have produced my own kit !

Whilst I am not 100% happy with it I have learned quite a considerable amount of useful info whilst building it.

There will be some filling of gaps, sanding and repainting in order to make me happier with it.

( The chimney on the left is actually vertical but I'm afraid in this case the --camera-- iPhone does lie ! )

Grahame

post-20303-0-24661800-1535320912_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

A couple of pictures of Biggleswade Weighbridge Office and weighbridge built and painted by David Illingworth from a laser kit that I designed and cutout.

attachicon.gifBW 32.jpg

attachicon.gifBW 25.jpg

The real building for comparison.

attachicon.gif34 Weighbridge.jpg

As good as this may be, does it qualify to be in this topic?

Edited by RBAGE

As good as this may be, does it qualify to be in this topic?

Its scratch built in that I did all the CAD work from photographs and a working knowledge of buildings. Built and painted by a friend, so I can't see why not?

Edited by BrushType4

Surely it's a kit of parts. Produced by you as a kit of parts to be built by someone else in a kit building process.

I'm currently building a locomotive kit. Should I or the kit manufacturer promote it as scratch built? 

Surely it's a kit of parts. Produced by you as a kit of parts to be built by someone else in a kit building process.

I'm currently building a locomotive kit. Should I or the kit manufacturer promote it as scratch built?

So if it was a one off it would be scratch built? Or is something else that makes a pile of parts however they are produced, something that can be described as scratchbuilt?

Edited by BrushType4

You produce a kit of parts.

Someone else builds that kit of parts.

The end result is neither yours nor the builders scratch built building.

Ok, so the definition of a scratchbuild is that only a single individual does all the work but if two or more split the work that makes it not a scratchbuild? Is that a fair description?

My interpretation is it’s doesn't matter how many people are involved, but that the finished result is mostly comprised of the designers, builders and painters own efforts regardless of the manufacturing and other processes employed.

It would be interesting if all kit manufacturers promoted their business in this way. 

I notice that this scratch built building is £45.

This where we agree, buying a kit and building it without significant modifications isn't a scratchbuild. :)

• Like 1

Sorry.

I hadn't noticed the modifications made to the Biggleswade Weighbridge Office kit necessary to make it look like Biggleswade Weighbridge Office and therefore qualify it as a scratchbuild. 

This where we agree, buying a kit and building it without significant modifications isn't a scratchbuild. :)

To quote Wikipedia, "There are as many ways of scratch-building models as there are modellers.." The essential probably lies in the personalisation of the making process. The end product may resemble something already produced either by another modeller, kit or even "RTR", but the mix of standard products, "spares" from kits or "raw materials" [such as acrylic sheet, wire, hemp, bits of plants..] could have something to justify the claim of scratchiness.

As a relative newcomer I enjoy using Linka plaster casting. I've ditched my "RTR" houses, church, station buildings and invested in carving tools and flat moulds. It's a long job, and as I'm learning on it I don't think I count any of those as finished, yet. With the best part of 3 metres of station platform just casting and modifying flat sections is a challenge.. but good fun. Am I a scratch builder? I like to think I'm an apprentice one. I also thank those who contribute to this thread for their inspiration and ideas.

• Like 1