Bachmann Open Day - First views of the Farish A2?

Atso

Hi all,

Please have a look about 3/4 of the way down the of this page: http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

Fine the loco is carrying a cab with Tornado's number on it but the wheels look a bit too small and I can't see any splashers...

Is this the first view of the new Farish A2 or have I just found an in development picture of the Tornado model's 2013 colour scheme?

Hi all,

Please have a look about 3/4 of the way down the of this page: http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

Fine the loco is carrying a cab with Tornado's number on it but the wheels look a bit too small and I can't see any splashers...

Is this the first view of the new Farish A2 or have I just found an in development picture of the Tornado model's 2013 colour scheme?

Hi Steve

Looking at that pic, given there are no splashers showing above the running plateand yes, driving wheels definitely smaller too, I would say almost certainly an early EP of the A2, .Use of the existing tooling for the A1 cab would be logical given that I believe they are pretty much identical, but conversely new tooling for the tender suggests a different tender variant to the existing ones possibly?

Anyway, that's good news, it suggests the model is progressing, I had feared that this loco had got pushed down the priority list by the other more recent announcements.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks Roy,

I'm a little hazy on anything after Gresley's locomotives so good to know I'm right with this one. Interesting to see that this hasn't been picked up elsewhere as far as I know - maybe the EP looks too much like the A1 for most people to have given it much of a look...

The wheelbase looks a little on the long side to me. However, Farish does seem to still carry a policy of fitting slightly under scale wheels to ensure that there is sufficient clearances maybe this is what has happened here - I do hope that the chassis isn't simply the A1 one as the coupled wheelbase is somewhat shorter on the A2...

The growing Peppercorn fleet is of limited use for my own 1930's period layout. However the A2 was based on the earlier Thompson locos which in turn were based on his rebuilds of the P2s... Hmm, I wonder if Farish will be carrying spare wheelsets for the A2 at launch...

Speaking of Thompson, does anyone have a hankering for one of his A1s or A2s???

....... I would say almost certainly an early EP of the A2,

Roy

The control rodding on the boiler side of the sample would also confirm this as an A2 and that Bachmann are attending to such details.

Not doing N gauge myself but I'm sure my wife will want Blue Peter for her train set.

RP

The control rodding on the boiler side of the sample would also confirm this as an A2 and that Bachmann are attending to such details.

Not doing N gauge myself but I'm sure my wife will want Blue Peter for her train set.

RP

“The EP sample being discussed in this thread is indeed the LNER Peppercorn A2 Class locomotive. The EP sample does however share the cab tooling with the A1 Class and our engineers in China have chosen to use existing ‘Tornado’ cabs during the EP assembly process rather than produce new grey ones. Unfortunately the samples arrived just before the event and we did not have time to arrange for them to be resprayed to match the rest of the model. I trust that this will clear up any confusion”.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Andy, thank you for taking the time to find this out for us. Also it is good to know that the likes of Bachmann (as we know Dave does for Dapol) do read these threads and take the time to respond when necessary.

Does anyone have any indication as to when these are likely to make it into production? 

• 3 months later...

Thanks to a snippet in the December Railway Modeller, I see the late BR version is to be 60527 Sun Chariot, instead of 60533 Happy Knight; the change is also apparent on the Farish website.

Shame that- if they were to change identities Sugar Palm would have given an engine with a bigger operating range.

Never mind, I have a set of plates ready!

All the very best

Les

Archived