moving sound is this possible

mallardsp126

Hi all hope there is someone out there who can help/answer this I have a mylocosound card which produces an electronic chuff sound and steam hiss when loco is stood this is connected to two speakers one at either end of my layout and I switch the sound to these speakers by two switches.

I had a thought (yes I know that I need to be careful not good doing to much thinking) is it possible to use a balance control from an old hifi/radio cd player or something similar to move the sound from one speaker to another as when you do this with the hifi the sound moves from the left to the right speakers this would be so much better on the layout as the sound would move from one speaker to both then the other in a much smoother way

thanks for any help or thoughts in advance

Geoff  

It would be easiest to have the 'balance' control before the amplifiers. In other words don't try to do it with the speakers. At this point you would need a wire wound potentiometer. You could, as Pugsley says, use a stereo amp, or if you have two amps post-15258-0-19314900-1374229568_thumb.jpg, then something like this

If you feed the sound into a PC (or have the PC generate the sound from a file on disc) you can get the PC to pan the sound between the two speakers without having to touch any knobs.

...R

Archived