The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

Apparenty the German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They, it is alleged, not only expect one to know one’s gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and British Airways , call sign Speedbird 206.
Speedbird 206: “Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway.”
Ground: “Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven.” The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: “Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?”
Speedbird 206: “Stand by, Ground, I’m looking up our gate location now.”
Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): “Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?”
Speedbird 206 (coolly): “Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark,… and I didn’t land.”

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Apparenty the German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot.

Snip

Speedbird 206 (coolly): “Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark,… and I didn’t land.”

Jim

On a theme of this, about 6 years ago we were on a riverboat from Basel to Amsterdam and stopped in Cologne.

On a city walking tour an American lady asked the guide why all the buildings looked new with very few older ones. The guide ( a younger female German about mid 20's) replied that they were visited by "The RAF inner city redevelopment teams who were very successful"

The American lady looked bemused and had to have it explained by her. Her husband looked a bit non plussed and said "I married her for her looks not her brains, but they've sadly both gone the same way" :D

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

I must admit I have travelled extensively in Germany and I have never found any lingering resentment of any wartime activity, except in Dresden.  The owner of the company I was visiting decided over lunch to start a discussion on the controversial bombing of the City in 1945, this made me a little uneasy but I managed to deflect the conversation with a general "well there were a lot of very nasty things went on at that time", which seemed to work.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I must admit I have travelled extensively in Germany and I have never found any lingering resentment of any wartime activity, except in Dresden.  The owner of the company I was visiting decided over lunch to start a discussion on the controversial bombing of the City in 1945, this made me a little uneasy but I managed to deflect the conversation with a general "well there were a lot of very nasty things went on at that time", which seemed to work.

Jim

Dresden is twinned with Coventry.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

A true tale from the very early '80s.

Took a ferry from Westminster Bridge to Greenwich - the Cockney crew ran an 'unofficial' commentary that caused much entertainment (and was a very insightful view of London through local eyes).

When we came to the area known as Docklands -

"Ladies an' gentlemen, if you take a look on the sarf bank you will see some of the docks an' wareharses wot has been bought up by the Arabs and wot is bein' turned into luxury houses an' flats.

They have done more damage in three months than wot Jerry did durin' the whole of the war".

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4

Bob Paisley's quote is still a classic.

After winning the European Cup in Rome, 1977

This is the second time I’ve beaten the Germans here… the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated. 

If anyone had told me I’d be back here to see us win the European Cup 33 years later I’d have told them they were mad! But I want to savour every minute of it… which is why I’m not having a drink tonight. I’m just drinking in the occasion.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2