The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Gold

At Sydney’s Royal Easter Show in 2006, a massive woodchopper who goes by the simple name of Jed, takes all before him, winning every prize and cutting every log in record time. Everyone is stunned, because he’s never shown up in any wood-cutting competition before and no one has ever heard of him.

“Where are you from?” one incredulous journalist asks.

“I’m from the Simpson Forest,” says the axeman.

“Don’t you mean the Simpson Desert?”

“Well,’ the woodchopper says modestly. ‘That’s what they call it now.”

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

33 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I miss going to the submarine races. 

It is not so exciting since they banned the nuclear ones.  However, to pep things up a bit there is talk of reinstating mines as course markers...

Edited by Titan
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, petethemole said:

But what type would be best to adapt for counting holes, the modern digital, the older electro-mechanical, or the original manual type?

Hi Pete,

It may even be possible to work out the number of holes by way of mathematical modelling, not that I have time to think this rubbish up you understand !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My son said, "What does natural selection mean?"

I said, "It's easier if I show you rather than explain it.'

So I showed him a YouTube video of a bloke jumping off a shed roof, head first onto the concrete at the side of a swimming pool.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

21 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

My son said, "What does natural selection mean?"

I said, "It's easier if I show you rather than explain it.'

So I showed him a YouTube video of a bloke jumping off a shed roof, head first onto the concrete at the side of a swimming pool.

Like when my lad asked why girls are called the Opposite Sex.

Well, son; Whatever you want to do, they want to do the opposite...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

44 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

image.png.f196e5496f8ffa45d0ffcde87343c107.png

Wow!! What a great idea.....   screws with a built in driver on the head.  What a frustration for your thief, out with her/his {PC as always} screw driver set and - failure.  By the time they have bought complete sets of both types, they would be carrying so much weight that the 20 police remaining in the country {best make that estimate 12, in the light of the latest topic which has gone viral} anyway, they would be able to see the villains staggering, to carry it all and just Nick em before they could even commit the intended crime.  :clapping_mini:

Julian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

her/his {PC as always}

There is a nice three-letter word that will do here: xyr. This is the form of xe used after a preposition or as the object of a verb.

• Informative/Useful 3

35 minutes ago, Budgie said:

There is a nice three-letter word that will do here: xyr. This is the form of xe used after a preposition or as the object of a verb.

Aahh, yes, I had meant the gender of the, imaginary, burglar rather then the gender of the Principle Culprit,  investigating officer, or even a preposition...    {Oh dear, just which imaginations might just  be sparked by that challenge opportunity?}

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
looked for a better ... position
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Budgie said:

Or even better, 'their'. Third person singular for someone of unknown or unspecified gender.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Or even better, 'their'. Third person singular for someone of unknown or unspecified gender.

That has pretty much become the normal usage. The neologisms have little chance against the extended meaning of an existing word that is already nearby in meaning. In language, it's survival of the fittest. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That has pretty much become the normal usage. The neologisms have little chance against the extended meaning of an existing word that is already nearby in meaning. In language, it's survival of the fittest. 

It's not really an extended meaning - according to the OED the singular they dates back to 1375...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Budgie said:

Doesn't that discriminate against those with XX chromasones as opposed to those with XY? :jester:

• Funny 7