The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

46 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

There are similar situations in Wales. Blaenavon is an English-given name, being in that part which is the English part of Monmouthshire. Nowadays, being part or Torfaen, it now has the name of Blaenafon; F being pronounced as V in Welsh. 

Blaenavon used to have Welsh chapels and English chapels, some Welsh chapels spoke English and some English chapels spoke Welsh. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

historically many parts of Scotland never had a indigenous Gaelic speaking population and a lot of the place names were never derived from a Gaelic etymology 

Jim's right.  A large number of places have names that, linguistically, come from other language groups.  Take the south-east as an example - in sub-Roman times these lands were occupied by people who's language was from a different Celtic grouping than Gaelic.  I've read that this 'old British' is more akin to an ancient form of Welsh.  Traces of it can still be seen in some remaining names.  I am not anti-Gaelic but think we should keep languages in perspective, and not succumb to political motives.  Anyway, rant over.

Can we go back to repeats of jokes, cartoons, etc, etc?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Jim's right.  A large number of places have names that, linguistically, come from other language groups.  Take the south-east as an example - in sub-Roman times these lands were occupied by people who's language was from a different Celtic grouping than Gaelic.  I've read that this 'old British' is more akin to an ancient form of Welsh.  Traces of it can still be seen in some remaining names.  I am not anti-Gaelic but think we should keep languages in perspective, and not succumb to political motives.  Anyway, rant over.

Can we go back to repeats of jokes, cartoons, etc, etc?

What did the sub-Romans ever do for us?

• Funny 11

6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

There are similar situations in Wales. Blaenavon is an English-given name, being in that part which is the English part of Monmouthshire. Nowadays, being part or Torfaen, it now has the name of Blaenafon; F being pronounced as V in Welsh. 

Welsh shepherd joke..... How do you count sheep?

'Tis easy! Count all of the legs, and divide by 4... 

Hi tomparryharry,

The counting of sheep is odd to say the least, there is a section for the Welsh version of this specific type of numerology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Tan_Tethera

Gibbo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

What did the sub-Romans ever do for us?

That would be Neptune, or am I getting mixed up with that Greek chap in the Poseidian Adventure.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

How did the farmer catch his wife?

He tractor down.

His neighbour, wasn't so subtle, he just ploughed into his...

Julian

{ I guess, I have to wait for the knock on the door from the PC Brigade.....    if anyone asks, I was last seen on board the last ship to spend the Antarctic winter researching sunburn.  Any movement seen in my house can be attributed to the anti-burglar system.}

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, peanuts said:

106462331_10157772035393423_3356396812467223755_n.jpg

This was either in this thread s couple of weeks ago, or the 'Things that make you :) " thread. The trouble is, they seem to overlap a lot and things end up in both. Then we start muttering about repeats....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

This was either in this thread s couple of weeks ago, or the 'Things that make you :) " thread. The trouble is, they seem to overlap a lot and things end up in both. Then we start muttering about repeats....

Yeah, you can say that again.

What?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

However, the people of Varteg just down the valley opted not to change the v for an f.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1