Thoughts on a Met 'H' class

James Harrison

Seeing the recent Met150 celebrations and the Steam on the Met event, I was struck by how the repainted GWR prairie reminded me of the old H class 4-4-4s. 

This is going to be quite a long project and probably some way off in the future, but I'm wondering as to whether it might actually be possible to build a passable 'H' class from the Dapol 61xx plastic kit.  I'm not looking for a high-fidelity, absolutely accurate model, but something that is right in all the major areas and passes inspection from say 3' away.   

Bear with me, a couple of massive differences aside (the wheel arrangement and boiler for two!) I reckon it might be possible, if you were to use the kit more as a set of scratchbuild aids rather than as something as a 'solid foundation' for a conversion.  Clearly the only parts of the kit which would be usable would be the running plate, sidetanks, bunker, cab and possibly the firebox.  I'd need to build a whole new boiler barrel and source new boiler fittings, not to mention build a 4-4-4 chassis (I could cut down a suitable 4-6-0 chassis to get the 4-4-0 bit, then its a case of finding the other '4') 

Dimensions taken from Wikipedia...

Length

H class = 41' 10.5''

61xx= 41'

Driving wheel diameter

H class =  5' 9''

61xx = 5' 8''

If it's any use the Isinglass range of loco drawings included very good scaled drawings of the Met H class (LNER H2 class).

David Howes of Quainton Road Models produced an 0 gauge H Class model (Have a look at the one on Whitlchurch Road http://www.quainton-road-models.co.uk/build-images/customer-builds/metropolitan-railway-class.html). Although no longer in production he "might" have drawings. I gave-up badgering him to produce 4mm versions of his Met models back in the 1990s when he moved abroad to escape from me!.

Also Worsley Works have produced a H class kit in 4mm. They might have info as well.

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread, what a handsom engine I'd go for it - its got to be worth a try. I'd be temped to chop a 4-6-0 chassis say a black five though the tender drive is a problem (not sure if the chassis can be made powered again) but the wheels on he 5 are only 3' wider than the H class which is only 1mm in 00 scale you also get the valve gear and cylinders and you often see spare bogies on Ebay for next to nothing in cost. Have a look at this thread to see what this chap has done with an old RTR chassis

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67934-highland-bodgery/

PS just had a look on Ebay and there is a black 5 bogie on there at the moment complete for only £5.20

There's a 61xx in the Hornby range- I'm starting to look for a decent-priced one for a donor.  The added advantage of course is that by utilising the Hornby model rather than the Dapol kit I won't have to faff around trying to get the body and chassis to marry up... he says....   

Archived