As I'm moving, doing anything with my main layout is pointless at the moment. So I'm hoping to build a small shunting/branch line station terminus layout. There a number of points that I'm hoping to include:
   Good operating interest, eg. goods yard for shunting

Be able to expand if needed

Portable; maybe exhibitions and for moving house

I've operated on an O gauge layout that was very similar to this and spent quite a few hours on it until my mum came to fetch me. My only suitable loco at the moment is a Bachmann Ivatt 2mt (the tender version) but I'm hoping to get Bachmanns 4f and J11 as well as Hornbys new Sentinel if it's any good. Other locos may also be added funds permitting.

This will be first proper layout so I'm hoping to learn base board building, wiring, ballasting and scenery as well as whatever else needs doing. It's probably going to end up as an Inglenook puzzle, but with a small station. It will be steam era, but I'm hoping to keep it general for other eras that I may get into such as BR blue. I'll be posting progress, although the layout isn't even in planning stage yet.

Latest photos, like the one below on page 12 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74147-a-small-yard-outside-photos/page-12

post-19141-0-66573700-1424186230_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornbyandbf3fan

• 2 weeks later...

If you have started on your baseboard I hope you have finalised your plan?

With a bit of thought some features such as rivers / brooks/ canals and high level scenery are best accomodated in the base board design rather than an add on at a later stage.

Gordon A

Bristol

I'll be playing around with the track plan soon on the baseboard as I prefer to have a physical plan rather then paper or computerised. Then I'll start to plan the scenery around the track as I don't want to plan to have a scenic feature and then find I haven't got enough space

• Like 1

Visual plans are somethimes easier for small layouts, just fiddle and tweak around with ideas and place card constructed boxes as mock buildings to get a general idea of space and clearences. But my advice would be never to tack / glue the track down within the first few plans as i have in the past then decided a new plan- before you know it the track is unuseable due to the excesive fixing down and undoing.

Perhaps even masking tape on the baseboard to indicate trackplan then notes can be added to it for example " point motor hole" or " signal" .

The very best of luck with it.

Be sure to add pictures. And don't hesitate to ask people's advice opinions etc. We're all helpful.

Cheers

Jack.

I'll be playing around with the track when I get home from Cornwall. Then when I'm happy I'll take it to my club and I'll get some help wiring it up. After, I'll start to mark out the scenic parts. I'll be posting pictures when my baseboard is finished.

So I got back form Cornwall today and the layout is safely stored in my room (which means my cat is banned from in there) I think I've come up with a trackplan for now, although it is confusing to look at the pictures due to the un-cut flexi track. I'll be getting the layout working at my club due to my inexperience and the fact that the members would know what's wrong with it if it doesn't work. The layout has been based around my Bachmann Ivatt 2mt and 4 wheeled wagons also from Bachmann (such as sand tipplers, cattle wagons, etc.) The baseboard legs fold easily so the layout is flat when being transported. The board is 12mm MDF with 34mm Pine (I think) supports all around the edge. If you have any questions, please say so as I've probably missed a couple of points! :)

post-19141-0-82398100-1375299497_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-73460100-1375299512_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

As hoped, I (with quite a bit of help) got the layout working last night! The controller is wired up with just the two wires, the track was given a cover of track magic, and the flexi track was cut to size. I used two yards, with some rails left over (no sleepers) about the size of the smallest set track straight. So far I've spent about an hour operating on it and I'm not bored of it yet. I've been kindly offered 3 gaugemaster point motors which I hope to fit at my club when i get back from holiday. I still need to get some thin wooden boards for the backscene and to cover the headshunt/fiddle yard/controller area. I also need to get an uncoupler. As well, I've decided where what needs to go.

post-19141-0-21272200-1375518014_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-58738100-1375518047_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-35144600-1375518063_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-15609800-1375518088_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-01416400-1375518107_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-33041400-1375518122_thumb.jpg

post-19141-0-46018300-1375518137_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Have you made any more progress?

No as I can't do much as I'm on holiday for two weeks starting tommorow. When I get back, I'll be fitting point motors, the backscene boards and hopefully some supports for the legs. Then I can get started on the scenery. I don't want to rush this and I'll be making some scratchbuilt structures soon hopefully

You will need at least four uncouplers unless you change to delayed action couplings.

If you can curve, or rotate the whole design, so that the end of the headshunt is at or nearly at right angles to the end of the baseboard, you could extend your track to off scene cassettes, small fiddle yard or another scenic section at a later date.

Looking interesting whith some nice space between the sidings for vehicle access and possible a small goods shed / provender store.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see your layout, and it's good to be in a club - as you have found help is usually forthcoming there.

Luckily you have friends here too who are happy to help. It may be small but you have given yourself some interest.

While you are contained to a small space perhaps making a small project might be helpful 

Have a look at acg_mr thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-lamp-hut-and-privy/

He has done some nice small scratchbuilds recently that you might emulate. You will need a proper cutting mat and check with your mum and dad so they know you are using a sharp knife and that it is done carefully. At your age I would suggest cutting only when an adult is in the house. Painting should also be carried out after consultation, messing up your bedroom might not best impress. However if you have warhammer or similar painting experience this will be very useful. A small airfix or similar project might be a good place as it has instructions.

• Like 1

It's great to be part of a club, especially as they help me out a lot with the layout! The layout is ideal as it can fit almost anywhere. I'll have a look at the thread, useful for me as I'm wanting to scratchbuild a lot of my structures. My mum's fine with me cutting with stanley knives so that's ok! I can practice a lot of stuff outside and in my club so that should limit mess. I've been reccomended halfords primer for a new project of mine, building a Dapol crane.

• Like 1