I notice you changed the 14 to 15 years old. Belated happy birthday.

Very impressed with the way the modelling is coming along. 

a hint for the mud brown colour, do three different shades of the brown and mix them up like camouflage and where there might be shadows add a thin black wash.

Impressed with the blue background choice, always photographs well

Like the hill come from the back wall,and the mix of rock face to grass finish, ratio is good

Liking the more than one texture of grass, look at real grass, there is usually more than one green shade and some dead (pale) grass. You are on the right lines. Like the tufts with the ballast.

Ensure you roadway is smooth enough to drive the car along it, and the odd pothole can be turned into a puddle.

Am really loving your work. You are clearly attacking the essentials, and can do nothing but improve.

Congratulations.

Thanks, the hills aren't quite finished yet; they need the grass finishing off but I might add some rocks on the sharpest edges. After it's first show, I wasn't happy with the backscene as it was too dark and drew and attention away from the layout, so I painted it in a mixture of blue, white and black so it looks gloomy. Like the Midlands really.... :D

I really like the Noch mix of grass as as you say, there's a lot of variation, although my applicator doesn't like the brown grass so much...

The road needs sorting out, but it'll have to wait until January most likely (along with the rest of the layout) due to the house move.

Thanks again and I had lots of other positive comments at the exehibition; one guy waited until I came back from a wander to congratulate me! :O

• Like 4

Mine runs brilliantly, can't comment on haulage though as I haven't reall tested mine; he most taxing it's had so far has been 6 wagons or 2 coaches and a wagon. Not sure Callum would agree about the running though!

Well... :jester: Think mine is ok now...

Great little shunting layout you have! :) I really like the choice of locos and stock you are using as well including that 4F! :) Speaking of which are they good models as I'm hoping to get one for Christmas (43924) so was just wondering how well they run, hauling capabilities etc. :)

Emily

They are stunning models! Mine sadly had a few issues, but that just me (as you know I seem have a lot of bad luck with new models)! :jester:  Both me and Hornbyandbf3fan have reviews of ours online. :locomotive:  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I hope it's not too bad for a first attempt. DCC does help with the running at slow speed and operating especially as it's handheld. With the shunter, I have the speed step set to 128 so I have more control and can make it go so slow you don't even notice it's moving!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have just read this through, and am frankly amazed, for a first layout this is brilliant, one suggestion, have you thought about weathering the track (tedious I know) and Ballast?

I am looking forward to more installations on this project, also, reading your signature, you have impeccable taste in railways too!

Sean

Thanks, I have ballasted the track, I'll do weathering last, once all the other ballast in the yard is put down. I'm thinking of getting a rust pen but I'm not sure about how to weather the ballast. No updates for a while as the layout is elsewhere at least until late February. And of course I have good taste lol

Edited for appalling grammar, thanks to Jaz for noticing

Edited by hornbyandbf3fan

Hmm, for the track, a fine paint brush is just as good as a rust pen, and cheaper too ;) dont forget the vary the tones a wee bit, for the ballast, if you have an air brush its easier, if not, a flat paint brush is just as good, build up layers and have a good look at pictures and so on, some ballast is almost black, others go yellow others go redish, it shouldnt be a challenge for you with what you have done so far ;)

Sean

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush so I'll use watered down paint and build it up, making it darker where locos are stationary (usually on the dodgy point!) I'm sure it will be a challenge though, although first I'm darkening down the grass as that's been bugging me.

Thanks Andy, there's a GCR engine coming soon (you'll probably be able to guess which one) Pasty land is all good at the moment, it's been sunny today!

:D

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush so I'll use watered down paint and build it up, making it darker where locos are stationary (usually on the dodgy point!) I'm sure it will be a challenge though, although first I'm darkening down the grass as that's been bugging me.

Thanks Andy, there's a GCR engine coming soon (you'll probably be able to guess which one) Pasty land is all good at the moment, it's been sunny today!

:D

What new loco? :locomotive: 

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with washing the colours onto the ballast and building up the colours. This needs to be done gradually, to allow the paint washes to dry, as the colour changes as the paint dries. I used the same method on Orchard Road, only subtle airbrushing much later.

• RMweb Gold

I used testor pots from Wickes!

Their matt water based paints (acrylics) are about £1.50 - I used a brown (can't remember the name) and liquorice (dark grey) and just thinned with water.

For 'wet / oily' patches, just add a little acrylic gloss medium - such as from art shops.