Pre Grouping layouts

• RMweb Gold

As the topic title and description says really.

A place to add links (either to threads or blogs) to Pre Grouping related layouts here on the forum. In due course I will try and add links to other layouts that I can find.

Feel free to post to this thread with the links to your own layout threads or blog and I will create a list of links in this OP

Mine isn't a pre-grouping layout per se but I intend to vary the periods it represents from time to time, even to the point of changing a few buildings, the road vehicles and stock on it, and hopefully the signage as well, although that may be more difficult. I think I may have to put up with a few anachronisms as a compromise but we shall see when construction of the layout has proceeded further.

At the moment I can also run my pre-grouping stuff as preserved items with more modern stock. I have some London Transport trains too, with the oldest stock modelled so far being half a train of 1920 F stock, albeit in post 1933 LT livery, so it *sort of* quaifies! :)

I have some locomotives in SECR, LBSC  and SECR liveries but don't yet have suitable trains for all of them. The LSWR M7 does look good on the front of a three set of SR liveried Maunsell coaches, a scenario that could have occurred into the mid 1920s. I have assembled a train of mostly southern area private owner wagons which include a couple of anachronisms because I like the liveries (eg the Firestone open wagon which actually dates from around 1928 or after, since the Brentwood factory didn't open until then). I am working on acquiring suitable brake vans for each of the railways but, so far, only the SECR is properly represented, and even that is still under the late stages of construction. As for the LSWR, I have a set of suitable Roxey Mouldings brass coaches to build (all currently still in their flat condition!) plus an earlier plastic and brass kit, from the same source, of a luggage van. Of course, the upcoming Bachmann Birdcage stock in SECR livery will be a 'must buy' for me, and I have two Roxey LCDR luggage vans bought in built condition from swap meets recently, being painted into SECR red.

If you wish to take a look at progress so far, I have really only completed the London Transport circuits, so everything has to run on the LT lines for now. You can see it here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27719-srmans-new-layout-yet-to-be-named/ .

Thanks to Mike for stirring this one up and to Graham for setting up this thread.

My contribution is Vintner's Yard, which has been documented at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59637-vintners-yard/

(sorry, the "link" button seems to be having a bad day).

The original plan was that this should be a quick, proof of concept layout, but it has now been going for almost three years and is still not running properly. Its other problem is that I keep getting distracted and building more locos and rolling stock - most of them completely inappropriate to Vintner's Yard!

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 1

Hello SR man

Good post and lots of information, but I cannot see the photos.

Is it me or you?

Michael

No, Michael, you are right. Photos on the first five pages seem to have dropped out, probably because I was using a different site to host them. Most later ones are hosted on Photobucket or in RMweb itself. Give me a few days and I'll wade through and fix them up.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it. :)

Mine isn't a pre-grouping layout per se but I intend to vary the periods it represents from time to time, even to the point of changing a few buildings, the road vehicles and stock on it, and hopefully the signage as well, although that may be more difficult. I think I may have to put up with a few anachronisms as a compromise but we shall see when construction of the layout has proceeded further.

I am doing a similar kind of layout, not LT, (see

my username!), but the idea of different periods

does appeal to me.

I am gradually 'back-dating' some of my stock to

give me the 'era' variety I need.

Jeff

• Like 1

The GWR did have a link to the Metropolitan Railway in early years, to the extent that much of the western part of the Hammersmith and City line was built for broad gauge. Just a little food for thought!! :)

At the moment, while I am still constructing the main lines on the upper level there is limited stock storage on the LT lines. Basically it is a free-for-all at the current time but I will exercise some discipline regarding period settings and matching stock, scenery and road vehicles as best I can when things are a little more complete. :D

Edited by SRman

The GWR did have a link to the Metropolitan Railway in early years, to the extent that much of the western part of the Hammersmith and City line was built for broad gauge. Just a little food for thought!! :)

The Broad Gauge Society Broadsheet No 69, Spring 2013, has some interesting articles and photos.

• Like 1

Though I won't have time till late next year to construct a layout I have been acquiring stock for a proposed GWR/GCR joint line set prior to WW1. It would be a fictional location but loosely based on obviously the GWR & GCR joint.

I wonder if I can sneek in a numer of MR and LNWR trains as well!

• Like 1

When all is said and done, Skaran, it is your layout for your enjoyment. At least using MR and LNWR stock would not entail changing any scenery, signs or road vehicles - they'll be of the correct period already!

Though I won't have time till late next year to construct a layout I have been acquiring stock for a proposed GWR/GCR joint line set prior to WW1. It would be a fictional location but loosely based on obviously the GWR & GCR joint.

I wonder if I can sneek in a numer of MR and LNWR trains as well!

The Great Central and LNWR/Midland link wouldn't be hard to do. Working the GWR in at the same spot may be trickier.

But the GC and GW had actual joint lines! The GC also had joint lines with the MR and LNWR. The problem is it didn't have a joint line with all of them together in one place. I suppose the Chester area might be a possibility, but the Midland's presence there, courtesy of the CLC, was pretty tenuous.

The region around the top of the GWR/GCR joint line might work with the LNWR terminating just short of Aylesbury, or possibly up towards Banbury, but the MR would then be a problem. Stretching further though perhaps the MR could connect to the GC at Rugby then via Banbury where the LNWR joins and on to London via the GWR/GCR joint line.

Then if I get really carried away there is that little known pre-grouping company the Midsomer and Oxford! (The avantage there of course is that the old Hornby short clerestories are almost spot on for MO stock!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well Graham asked about links to pre-group layouts so, as there has been a bit of a dearth of them so far, I thought would add my threads. Highbury, Tucking Mill and Bath are all set in the 1920's - the S&D of course did not loose its independent identity and blue livery until 1930. Links to the threads are below in my signature,

Jerry

• Like 1

Bit more than just a link. The GWR ran the original Met trains until they fell out and the H&C was jointly owned for a long time.

• Like 1

Trying to build a WW1 based London terminus layout in EM gauge.

GER Met and NLR mainly, but constantly in conflict with lack of space and my interest in Colonel Stephens and oddities.

love blue and teak, growing fonder of grey and crimson lake.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just started a new topic in 'The Railways of Wales'.  It is a ficticious Cambrian Station on the coast in mid Wales set in the 1890s.

This is my first layout since I was a teenager and though I have some buildings and stock, that is mostly for a 009 layout which will commencesometime in the future.

Please feel free to have a look and make any helpful comments that you wish.  The link is in my signature.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I haven't noticed this thread before as it is hidden in the mass of threads that I mostly ignore.I have been involved with several pre-grouping layouts as one of the Cardiff 4mm Group. We exhibited Aberdare Taff Vale from the mid-1990s onwards and more recently Ynysybwl (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simage61/sets/72157633916398079/detail/). Also I have been one of Sandy Croall's operators on Penlan. Personally I model the Midland in EM.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Strange as it may seem, I have missed this thread until now.  I have been modelling pre group since about 1958, mainly Midland (circa 1908) and a bit of North eastern Railway, all in 4mm scale and  EM gauge.

I have had a layout since about 1985 (Embsay Canal Road) however I felt the need to reduce the size a little and my thread in the 'layouts' section "Demise and rebirth of a model railway" explains all. 

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Strange as it may seem, I have missed this thread until now.  I have been modelling pre group since about 1958, mainly Midland (circa 1908) and a bit of North eastern Railway, all in 4mm scale and  EM gauge.

I have had a layout since about 1985 (Embsay Canal Road) however I felt the need to reduce the size a little and my thread in the 'layouts' section "Demise and rebirth of a model railway" explains all. 

Derek

Derek,

I had not realised that you had a thread, I will have to go and have a look.

• RMweb Gold

Derek

Here it is.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95552-demise-and-rebirth-of-a-model-railway/

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I'm starting again after moving house and looking to put together a smaller layout. After joining the GNR Soc I've decided on Havenhouse station on the GNR as it's the next one down from Wainfleet, which is currently in storage. Small stuff at the moment, but I'm trying to build some locos that I know passed through the the station on the way to Skegness. The backdated pages are towards the end of the thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63508-wainfleet-and-havenhouse-the-eagle-has-landed/

• Like 2