Pre Grouping layouts

Two very instructive replies to my musings about the horse (and another about scale); thank you.

I suppose 7mm : 1ft  would be the scale to pursue 

I'd imagine that 3D printed components could be 'fleshed' out (rather as Leonardo's C14/15 machine drawings were) then the whole sort of 'wrapped in a horse blanket'.

How to power such a beast would be another prob. But I'd buy one (or a pair).

dh

• RMweb Gold

Not a layout, but a rather nice model of a Crewe single on display at the Gauge O Guild's exhibition at Telford this weekend.

1845770373_CrewesingleOgaugeTelford2019livesteam.jpg.9da210119ef0b79c7e5b76a8ed824ef1.jpg

Superb modelling, then you read the blurb and realise it's also a live steam model.

Fantastic stuff!

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Argos said:

Not a layout, but a rather nice model of a Crewe single on display at the Gauge O Guild's exhibition at Telford this weekend.

Fantastic stuff!

and elsewhere on a demonstrators stand was a danish 2-2-2 "Odin", just as beautiful

Edited by sir douglas

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Seeing as Pre-Grouping is mentioned, I'm making on in N Scale called Crowmoor set in the South East of England in the Edwardian era. The only loco and rolling stock on the layout in this scale used is the SE&CR C Class 0-6-0 No. 271, two maroon 4-wheel coaches painted in SECR maroon, three plank wagons in SECR grey  a brake van in SECR grey.

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

I have previously drawn attention to Barry Luck's P4 model based on Plumpton (ex-LBSCR) in 1912.  Barry has started a series of films about the layout and its operation - we run to a "timetable" sequence and the layout is controlled by a fully interlocked mechanical lever frame, with communication between the "signal box" and the fiddle yards being by bellcodes using replica block instruments.

The films are on Barry's Youtube channel.  The first of the videos can be found here.

Mick Ralph

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm steadily getting closer to the point where my N gauge pre-grouping layout "Neraland 2" will be ready to join the exhibition circuit ... I may even get there before there is an exhibition circuit to join!

It's basically just a scenic test track (single track oval; passing station; ladder fiddle yard with a few kickback sidings at rear) to be used as a vehicle to show my growing collection of pre-grouping trains. Ideally, at an exhibition I will take viewers (well, those that have the patience to stay in front of the one layout) on a tour Britain, looking in on all the major railway companies and a fair few of the minor ones, and ideally showing at least 4 trains for each company (a passenger and a goods in each direction as an absolute minimum).

I've recently marked the major milestone of my 50th train entering service, and I hope to hit the 60 mark some time in 2021.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have seen some lovely videos of a charming layout called "Crook Street", and mention is made somewhere that it is discussed on the GOG forum. Not being a member of said body, I cannot access their forum even to read (as I can with S4) so have been unable to find out much more.

Can anyone share more information on here, such as overall size, construction, layout plan?

(Or persuade the owner to duplicate his posts by creating a thread on here?)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Simon, 

I've watched the video you found and several others that go with it.  Looking at the rolling stock, the three corridor coaches and the George the V are somewhere between 5' and 5' 6" long.  Potentially, the longest edge of Crook Street is between 11' and 12' long.  The curvature of the approach lines are tight judging by the throw of the bogie of the 19" Goods, in one scene. 

The double slip with a switch diamond on two radii is impressive and the set up is inspiring.  I can see several Lancashire termini within Crook Street.  A great find.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I agree, but I would love to know more about the layout, and the clever way so much has been inveigled into so little space. Real case of “multum in parvo” (might as well quote Rutland’s motto whilst I am still in it!)

• Agree 2

Simon and Fellow Modellers,

I've created a, "Not to Scale," track diagram for Crook Street, which I've extracted from the video clips posted by the Gauge 'O' Guild.  The point-work is very carefully done, with tight radii and some very short switch rails.

Hopefully, if the owner is looking, they'll not be offended by my efforts?

Paul

20210217_082932.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

Many excellent features, but I particularly liked the modelling of the stone retaining walls, and I was pleased to see the road bridge had a bridge number plate - something easily overlooked.

The bridge itself was, I felt, the weak point in the otherwise excellent architectural modelling. It didn't look very probable.

• RMweb Gold

I'm rather taken with Crook Street, it's a layout right up my street.

I did/do have plans for something similar albeit a bit simpler in plan, the videos plus Airnimal's excellent NSR break van build are causing the 7mm scale itch at the moment, which is awkward given the number of 2mm scale half finished builds I've got laying idle.

In addition to the Crook Street video above there are a few more on the associated channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWSLUe5cbFHE9g4qTon-Cg

There is also a slightly older channel with another half hour's worth of viewing on it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLg0sRF_HtOCdy1GwWz5I7w

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Years ago Railscene Videos had model railway videos but they only ran to three VHS cassettes simply because it took too long to film model railways but one model railway that they did film was Mike Sharman's 4mm mixed EM gauge model railway. Mike has since died and lets hope the railway didn't end up with all the scratch built stock in the proverbial trash skip for that would be a real shame.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 10

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...