Pre Grouping Workbench content links

• RMweb Gold

As the topic title and description says really.

A place to add links (either to threads or blogs) to Pre Grouping related workbench content here on the forum. In due course I will try and add links to other layouts that I can find.

Feel free to post to this thread with the links to your own workbench threads or blog and I will create a list of links in this OP

Amongst my current projects is building a replica of the first LBSCR locomotive shed at Midhurst

which was timber built and dates from soon after the branch from Pulborough/Petworth reached Midhurst.

This shed was removed in 1907 and my efforts are based on the photo in Branch Lines to Midhurst, with attribution to Lens of Sutton.

Construction is based on an undershape created from photo mounting board, then with every single plank being real wood and put in place individually with PVA.. Windows and remainder of planks have still to be added. And that is in 4mm.!

Inside has been sprayed black, as I expect it would have been pretty dirty in there.

As you can see from the photos, it is not yet finished, but I hope that the result of this method of construction can be clearly seen. Even the clerestory planks are where they should be.

One day I will finish it as it is a labour of love!

Michael

post-5651-0-63719200-1374936579_thumb.jpg

post-5651-0-65445600-1374936601_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeandnel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My collection of bodged Highland Railway locos and associated stock are available through the links in my signature below:

Andy G

For anyone who may be interested, my workbench blog is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/965-srmans-workbench-blog/

Let me say from the outset that only a small proportion of my entries are relevant to the pre-grouping era. My most recent entries have included an LCDR/SECR brake van from Roxey Mouldings and a class 350 / 450 conversion (ultra-modern privatisation era!). Also in my fairly recent offerings is an ex-LSWR G16 4-8-0T, albeit in 1960s BR guise.

I hope to have a look soon at some of the other links people have been posting here. :)

• RMweb Premium

Amongst my current projects is building a replica of the first LBSCR locomotive shed at Midhurst

which was timber built and dates from soon after the branch from Pulborough/Petworth reached Midhurst.

This shed was removed in 1907 and my efforts are based on the photo in Branch Lines to Midhurst, with attribution to Lens of Sutton.

Construction is based on an undershape created from photo mounting board, then with every single plank being real wood and put in place individually with PVA.. Windows and remainder of planks have still to be added. And that is in 4mm.!

Inside has been sprayed black, as I expect it would have been pretty dirty in there.

As you can see from the photos, it is not yet finished, but I hope that the result of this method of construction can be clearly seen. Even the clerestory planks are where they should be.

One day I will finish it as it is a labour of love!

Michael

Question is, will it have the characteristic 'lean' that the original shed developed? :D

• 3 weeks later...

You will find on my thread many scratch and kit builds of the LSWR in SR days circa 1930 My thread is here.

I have a couple of topics on other LSWR projects, very slow progress though.

2012-Challenge-LSWR-Trailer-3rd This is now finished look at my have a look here the driver will also be here as it is built.
LSWR BRAKE THIRD DRIVER

I am also scratch building a G6 for the 2015 build a loco challenge.

Feel free to have a look.

Edited by N15class

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Lancaster Green Ayre thread,(See link on my signature) though set in 1923 is pure Midland in it's architecture and details and has pre grouping overhead line equipment (1907 design) and 1907 built EMU's that I'm scratch building.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Gareth Ashenden has said one can never have too many pre-grouping wagon threads so I boldly started my own workbench thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113035-more-pre-grouping-wagons-in-4mm-latest-ratio-lnwr-wagon-kit-archaeology/page-1

So far I've posted 4mm scale (00) plastic kit builds for MR, GWR, and LNWR wagons which stimulated some interesting discussions on red and grey (or possibly just raked over the ashes of previous debates) - thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to contribute!

I hope to move on to whitemetal, which will take me to the L&Y and North Eastern railways. Also, more sheeted wagons - I'll start collecting used fruit teabags now.

Stephen

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2