..... Was pooling still in force at this time - which might explain some of the more remote companies?

The Railway Executive basically still had control until the grouping, but it's a complex administrative area with the Railway Clearing House (RCH) and employement of former clerks etc., on demob., taking back on the tasks of apportionment of charges etc.,

I suspect this is an area that perhaps is of an individual interest on this Forum, though there is much to be read in 'The Railway Clearing House in the British Economy 1842-1922' by Philip Bagwell, published in 1968 (yes, I bought my copy then!!), there's also a few items on the internet such as here http://www.engrailhistory.info/r164.html

C = Cripple? Yes, I like that, there were certainly a few wagons like that all over the system.

On a different tack, most railway companies use to put out list of 'lost' wagons (never seen one for 'found' though!), I had some for the LNWR at one time, and may still have, but don't ask - copies should be with the LNWR Society - back in the 70's I was their Hon. Sec. and Editor.....

By expanding into other gauges, do they mean other scales, or can we expect some 7mm broad gauge? Not that it's any use to me!

The reference to "gauge" tends to show that's where they are thinking, but why not ask them?

One of the difficulties with the very early locos is that they are very small in 4mm and, unlike industrial tank locos, don't have much room for a mechanism. So I think that 4mm stuff isn't very likely.

One of the difficulties with the very early locos is that they are very small in 4mm and, unlike industrial tank locos, don't have much room for a mechanism. So I think that 4mm stuff isn't very likely.

They're bigger than modern 2mm models, and they seem to work!

They're bigger than modern 2mm models, and they seem to work!

John,

very true, but I think that we tend to think in boxes at times so I don't know what is available for the 2mm modeller and what will transfer over to 4mm.

For example are there 2mm motor/gear systems that will work on the commonly available 1/8" 4mm wheel/axle sets? I was once involved in reviewing the possibility of producing a Crewe Goods 2-4-0 but the low sales volume prospects combined with the lack of a suitable drive system made it an impractical project.

However, as the owners of parlytrains are 7mm modellers, I think it's a little unlikely that they'll be likely to do any 4mm stuff.

Jol

Depends if you are working N or 2mm fine scale. The finescale folk have a good selection of wheels, gears and other essential parts for loco building. In N its a lot harder to get wheels and stuff. There are some very small locos in 2mm fine scale, including at least one saddle tank which has the actual boiler as a 6mm can motor with the saddle sat over it.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

A fascinating thread to find.  Having been born in Carlisle then moved to Chesterfield, clapham (NY) then Giggleswick and eventually Woodlesford the Midland was a dead cert for me.  however I love the pre grouping era and my new layout will be set in 1923ish which gives me an excuse to run LNWR, Furness and L & Y coaches on my layout along ith asorted goods stock.   Havibg spent a few years at Woodlesford I got to know the old East and West Yorkshire Union system well and one of these days will model a couple of their goods wagons.   However for some obscure reason I've always ahd a sneaking like of the Higland railway and would love to build a River but that will ahve to wait.

Jamie

If anyone's interested in the Saltley built carriages by Joseph Wrights, taken over by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagons Co. (MCW) then Birmingham Reference Library had a wide selection of the MCW's drawing available in their Archive/reference section, or they did 35 - 40 years ago.  At that time they were stored as micro-fiche negatives, prints available - I have about 40, and they are big drawings, but no underframes.

I think at the time there were only about 30% of the MCW's drawings copied, the rest being off-site in storage somewhere, but they didn't have staff resources to list descriptions and copy any more.   I offered to help in the documentation.descriptions etc., but I was told I did not have the qualifications to document the drawings at their off-site store  (I was a Principle Officer in Local Govt. at the time too, no favours there then). My position may not have been helped at the time as I then followed this up with a list of my corrections to the descriptions made by their qualified staff on about 30 drawings I had an interest in - this was mainly LNWR and South Wales Co's.,.

There is a description and diagrams of the LNWR's Chain Brake system, copied from original Wolverton drawings, in the HMRS's 'West Coast Joint Stock' book, these of course were a later addition by the LNWR at their Wolverton Works.

Saltley provided coaches up to about 1863, when Wolverton was given over to mainly Coach production under R.Bore. though the J.Wright origins remained in the styling for some time.

The most well know photo of this early stock is at Coventry Station http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcov645d.htm and note on the 5 compt. coach there's only three oil lamps, placed over the centre of the partitions.   I have a J.Wright drawing (1" = 1' scale) dated 10/3/1863 showing a 4 compt. first/second compo. with 2 oil lamps, again positioned over the partitions.  There's plenty of scope during this period for variations... :sungum:

I know I have the early history of Birmingham New street by Richard Foster somewhere, but dam.ned if I can find it, there must be a photo in there of early LNWR stock. Many years ago I did an article somewhere (HMRS?) on the Golden Valley's early ex LNWR stock, but again ..... it's out there somewhere.  

I don't now if there's been a book or pamphlet issued dealing with J Wrights Coaches, if there is I would be interested.

post-13539-0-81074800-1384183229_thumb.jpgHi just thought you might like to have a look at this coach. its one of 3 we currently produce as 7mm kits. The picture is a the "all 3rd" also there a Lug 3rd and a brake 3rd.

Marc

If anyone's interested in the Saltley built carriages by Joseph Wrights, taken over by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagons Co. (MCW) then Birmingham Reference Library had a wide selection of the MCW's drawing available in their Archive/reference section, or they did 35 - 40 years ago.  At that time they were stored as micro-fiche negatives, prints available - I have about 40, and they are big drawings, but no underframes.

I think at the time there were only about 30% of the MCW's drawings copied, the rest being off-site in storage somewhere, but they didn't have staff resources to list descriptions and copy any more.   I offered to help in the documentation.descriptions etc., but I was told I did not have the qualifications to document the drawings at their off-site store  (I was a Principle Officer in Local Govt. at the time too, no favours there then). My position may not have been helped at the time as I then followed this up with a list of my corrections to the descriptions made by their qualified staff on about 30 drawings I had an interest in - this was mainly LNWR and South Wales Co's.,.

There is a description and diagrams of the LNWR's Chain Brake system, copied from original Wolverton drawings, in the HMRS's 'West Coast Joint Stock' book, these of course were a later addition by the LNWR at their Wolverton Works.

Saltley provided coaches up to about 1863, when Wolverton was given over to mainly Coach production under R.Bore. though the J.Wright origins remained in the styling for some time.

The most well know photo of this early stock is at Coventry Station http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcov645d.htm and note on the 5 compt. coach there's only three oil lamps, placed over the centre of the partitions.   I have a J.Wright drawing (1" = 1' scale) dated 10/3/1863 showing a 4 compt. first/second compo. with 2 oil lamps, again positioned over the partitions.  There's plenty of scope during this period for variations... :sungum:
I know I have the early history of Birmingham New street by Richard Foster somewhere, but dam.ned if I can find it, there must be a photo in there of early LNWR stock. Many years ago I did an article somewhere (HMRS?) on the Golden Valley's early ex LNWR stock, but again ..... it's out there somewhere.  

I don't now if there's been a book or pamphlet issued dealing with J Wrights Coaches, if there is I would be interested.

May I suggest that a list of links to the various line societies would be useful? I am more than ready to undertake this task myself, but thought I would ask for 'permission' in case anyone else is already working on the same task.

Here's the  link for the Cumbrian Railways Association  - http://www.cumbrianrailways.org.uk/ . We're very modeller friendly, there being a  modelling  section with its own newsletter [http://www.cumbrianrailways.org.uk/Railway_Modelling.php] . Check out the Pochin & Shillcock for some gorgeous 4mm models of Furness Railway rolling stock that some of you may remember from magazine articles in the 1960s and 70s.

CKPR - well there's no shortage of articles in the Journal from a brief glance at the web site - I'm pleased to see Mike Peascod's still around, I met him in the 70's, all to do with LNWR matters, and at that time I'm sure it was Mike who was doing vacuum formed carriage sides in plastikard (or whatever it was called then), I still have some running on the layout.  

The Modelling Collections Manager - David Gibson - is this the same Gibson that I met on/over the late Tony Miles' Adavoyle layout?

One begins to feel one's been around a long time.  :stink:

Sandy Croall - West Cornwall

Just stumbled across this new section, and it's good to see – especially with so much 7mm interest.

My main interest is now in BR(E) late 50s/early 60s but I have a fascination with the Cardigan & Whitland Railway and still hope to build something of it one day. Being such a small organisation it's quite intriguing to know that I could own the complete rolling stock of a whole railway company within a couple shoeboxes!

CKPR - well there's no shortage of articles in the Journal from a brief glance at the web site - I'm pleased to see Mike Peascod's still around, I met him in the 70's, all to do with LNWR matters, and at that time I'm sure it was Mike who was doing vacuum formed carriage sides in plastikard (or whatever it was called then), I still have some running on the layout.  

The Modelling Collections Manager - David Gibson - is this the same Gibson that I met on/over the late Tony Miles' Adavoyle layout?

Sandy,

Mike is still very much about. He is a member of the NLG of the S4 Society and has done some design work for LRM, including  42' turntable that will be available next year and some more LNWR six wheel carriages.

Jol

I have a fascination with the Cardigan & Whitland Railway and still hope to build something of it one day. Being such a small organisation it's quite intriguing to know that I could own the complete rolling stock of a whole railway company within a couple shoeboxes!

I'm tempted to built Cardigan as it might have been if the Carmarthen and Cardigan had got there, instead of stopping at Llandysul. It would have to be pre 1872 when it was converted to narrow gauge, and maybe opening the Whitland and Cardigan some years earlier than it actually was, so there was a junction at Cilgerran, and mixed gauge into Cardigan.

I've made a fair few wagons based on CRA drawings and articles, some of which will hopefully running at the Solrail show in Workington this weekend...which is about as far from West Cornwall as you can get in England without going to Morpeth !

Soirail, Ah yes, a little far for a day pass, though  I was up in Workington a couple of months ago - a holiday in Ambleside, again.  

Penlan (the layout) only has three shows next year, Southampton, Epsom & Ewell and finally for the layouts LAST show, Cardiff, by which time the layout will be 25 years old, and I'm getting to old to cart it up and down to the loft at home, plus were ever I exhibit, it's a starter of 120 miles to Exeter, then I'm in England. The rest of the team live in Malvern and Cardiff, and we share operators with Ynsybwl when convenient..

I thought we were in Wigan in 2014 too, but it seems we are not, though the paperwork was posted back in 2009 - mind you posting and receiving are not always compatible......

Still, having been caught this year on the M5 and M6 in long (time) holdup's, in early June, perhaps there's a blessing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I am another 7mm modeller of the LSWR circa 1912. 

I have a kit built Brighton Terrier in LSWR livery and I bought a 2nd hand 02, plus I have quite a lot of wagons, but no coaches at present.

I have finished a station building closely based on Lyme Regis (laser cut to my drawings) and I am now building the track, which I used Templot to design (in a stupidly small space.  L-shaped in garage 5m x 5m) with C&L parts to build the track. 

5 points and one crossover have now been completed and I have 2 more points to build and then I can start putting it all together on the baseboards.

I shall follow this group to keep in touch with others with similar pre-grouping interests.

Best wishes

Arthur

Archived