Dave Jones leaving Dapol in August

oreamnos

All the best with whatever you move on to do. Even though you never got around to an OO subject useful to me, I really enjoyed watching the product development process.

...I wish he or she best wishes in the job, as it isn't for the faint of heart...

No worries. If my arithmetic is correct there are at least seven posters on this site alone, confident they can do better, and quickly restore all production to the UK. :jester:

Personally feeling rather glad I got on with cobbling together my own OO class 21 from available RTR parts...

NotDapolDave

'DapolDave' - one of the 'characters' of model railways in recent years!

You've shown that it is possible to listen to customers and deliver products which have raised the bar of British model railways in not just detail but function and enthusiasm for the hobby.  For that, I am sure the majority of people are truly grateful.

I wish Dapol every success in finding a suitable replacement - maybe someone from here? :D

We can only guess your future plans - be it:

1. Developing OO gauge moving people (DCC ready, with sound)?
2. LCD paint, with an internet Pay As You Go colour library, including Chromatic blue!?

3. Programmable nano-bot building construction sites (all gauges!)?
4. Or...as per your avatar - Eurofighter Program Development Manager?

All the above, very tongue in cheek (or not, perhaps?)! :sungum:

I sincerely wish you every success in your future plans and that your interest in the hobby remains active.

Good luck Dave and many thanks for your last 7 years of hard work! :thankyou:

Cheers,

Ixion.

Kept that one quiet, Dave!

I can only add a great heap of thanks for a huge amount of help over the years, and the hope that you won't disappear off the radar.

Not at TINGs as it clashes with Grantham Railshow (and Mallard on display at Grantham) so will have to keep a watch on the grapevine for developments.....

All the very best

Les

thinks- this year's Dapol open day will be interesting.........................

Good luck Dave whatever you go on to do. You have raised the bar at Dapol and delivered some very good modern wagons in OO like the MRA and silver bullets and I have several n guage products too.

I hope Dapol find someone who can keep up the good work.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave,

Just wanted to say many thanks for all the outstanding work you've done over the last seven years to drive British N forward and warmest best wishes for all your future endeavours - especially in the world of model railways, and N gauge in particular.  Will you continue to update the forum on your Western Region diesel depot layout and other projects?

And I can only echo the comments of many on here that Dapol will have a very tough job finding someone to replace you.

cheers

Ben A.

I'm concerned at having just moved to N gauge, such an massive influence in the scale is moving on.

I wasn't up to speed with all the Dapol range until a few weeks ago. I can't believe the relentless speed at which the products were brought to market, and the quality of them. 67, 56, 58, HST, 86, 156 and mk3's in the space of just a couple of years! 

Best of luck, please stay in N if possible!! 

• RMweb Premium

Hi, there's no replacement in the wings that I know of as Dapol decided to announce my leaving without my knowledge today and advertise for a new guy.

It's a tough job let me tell you,

I'd say whoever applies must have experience of dealing with the Chinese and their ways, must have a nouse for the market place, know models worldwide and mechanisms, know about possible innovations and be able to develop new ones, know cad designs and how to produce them, have a knowledge of the industry, be willing to do as I have and Interact with modellers on forums and take on board comments and criticisms, take it on the chin if you c*ck up and be quick to sort it out, have a thick skin and pots more.

I wish he or she best wishes in the job, as it isn't for the faint of heart.

Cheers

Dave

So it's not a 40 hours per week job? :no:

Thanks Dave,

Your work with Dapol has demonstrated how vital communication is in this business and particularly that listening is fundamental to that communication.  The results have been remarkable and can be measured by the increasingly impressive and eagerly awaited models from the company.  The response from the main competitor has been significant too after years of feet-dragging mediocrity.  Put simply, you have increased the enjoyment in British N gauge for everyone. All the best in your next venture.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

What ever has occurred to bring about this apparently sudden announcement may never emerge - confidence is confidence and we don't need to know.

A few years ago I approached Dapol with trepidation as the 00 range seemed to fall well short of the larger rivals' offerings.  We still have a very odd reddish film on weathered wagons which I had hoped might be phased out.

On the other hand we have seen a unique period in British model railway history with a key team member openly discussing the ins and outs of production and the problems associated with it.  Some absolutely stunning models have emerged some of which have homes in my collection.  That at least one of those products was developed, in effect, in collaboration with the knowledgeable membership base here is without parallel - yet!

I would like to thank Dave Jones and Dapol for this forward-thinking approach and the delivery of superb models including (though not limited to) the Beattie well tanks, the class 22 and class 52 in 00

I would also like to add my personal thanks to Dave for his support and contribution to this site and to wish him well in his future where ever and who ever that might be with.

The very best of luck Dave and thank you for producing models of three of my favourite locos, the Terrier, Pannier and Q1. Your impact of British N gauge has been substantial and you will be greatly missed.

Regards

Veronica

Dave,

I firmly believe that, given the resources, you would be more than capable of ensuring that the mechanical and electrical performance of Dapol locos matched the aesthetics. It'll be interesting to see who replaces you and whether it is a 'net loss or gain' for our hobby.

Best wishes with whatever proves to be your next venture

Dave    

Good luck in your new ventures Dave. Where ever you take your skills to, no doubt that employer will be heavily rewarded with your presence. A great loss for Dapol I would imagine...

Cheers, Gary.

The second I could do too, to create pan European domination

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Today Chirk, tomorrow the world eh?? ;)  ;)

Ahh, so that's what you were alluding to in your PM to me the other day ;)  ;)

All the best mate, see you at TINGS.

Regards

Neal.

While agreeing with everything that has been said here, I would like to personally thank Dave for his support when I had a problem with the class 22 (OO) which was definitely NOT a result of any failing on Dapol's part.

I would also say thanks for being present on these forums to not just accept feedback, but to actually ask for and encourage it! Dapol's products have been all the better for this approach.

Well done, Dave, and good luck for your future endeavours and projects. Hopefully we'll still have your presence as a private individual for some time to come, or maybe even as the public face of whatever company you work for next.

:)

The feelings written on this thread reveal just how successful Dave's contribution to both Dapol and RMWeb has been.

Too many people would have chosen the easier path of hiding behind the company PR.

Best, Pete.

I don't model UK railways or N gauge (any more) but I have seen Daves postings on here, and read the reactions to the news of his departure - his departure will be a sad loss for Dapol - and may I congratulate them for their foresight in allowing a staff member to interact with current and future customers on an open forum - a very brave decision for a commercial enterprise that has been very successful. I wish him much success in his future career planning, and hope that we shall still see him posting on here.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, there's no replacement in the wings that I know of as Dapol decided to announce my leaving without my knowledge today and advertise for a new guy.

It's a tough job let me tell you,

I'd say whoever applies must have experience of dealing with the Chinese and their ways, must have a nouse for the market place, know models worldwide and mechanisms, know about possible innovations and be able to develop new ones, know cad designs and how to produce them, have a knowledge of the industry, be willing to do as I have and Interact with modellers on forums and take on board comments and criticisms, take it on the chin if you c*ck up and be quick to sort it out, have a thick skin and pots more.

I wish he or she best wishes in the job, as it isn't for the faint of heart.

Cheers

Dave

Sounds a bit like why I got out of Project Engineering Management in the privatised railway.

Archived