Mini Video Camera

MikeOxon

While exploring this site, I've not found any references to using a mini-video camera, to record from a moving model train - perhaps I've not found the right place yet.

These tiny cameras have become popular in the RC aircraft world and one well-regarded model is the 808#16, widely available on e-bay.  There is a good discussion of the various camera types at http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

I have tried mounting one onto an 009 locomotive, using the highly-engineered mount (BlueTac) shown below:

post-19820-0-63341100-1374696284.jpg

An example of a short video clip (Windows Media Player format) is attached below.  I have found it fascinating to see a footplateman's eye view!  It can also very useful for finding bits that have fallen off in inaccessible places.

I've only just started to explore the possibilities and would be interested to hear from others who have tried the technique.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

I've just watched this clip several times.  It's very good and although it works well I'm sure there are much smaller and more 'purpose built' cameras available at not too great a cost.  Advantage of those is that they can be mounted quite easily (I believe) on the loco or brake van or wherever and easily go through tunnels.  Advantage of your idea is that you can easily remove your camera and use for other video work.  I also think it's something whose time has maybe yet to come; several folk here have shown similar video clips and I really enjoy them but there doesn't seem to be too much interest shown as yet.  That shouldn't stop you or anyone else continuing to develop your skills.  Nice layout by the way, lots of 'paraphernalia' to see and rocks to duck from as the camera goes by! 

Nice layout by the way, lots of 'paraphernalia' to see and rocks to duck from as the camera goes by! 

Thanks for your comments.  I feel that the useof a camera mounted on the train does help to assess the 'quality' of the modelling!  I've ben running the camera around various parts of my layout and it soon shows up the weaknesses.

There is another practical use, too, which I have mentioned in another thread about long tunnels (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74474-long-tunnel/?p=1128403) By mounting a torch and the camera on a wagon, it can be sent into a tunnel, to find faults in the track or items that have fallen off passing trains. 

The unit that I have combines the camera itself with a video recorder, so that all the data are retained on a micro-SD card.  I am not aware of any smaller unit that has this total capability.

Mike

I have an audio equivalent, the Zoom H1, which records in very good quality stereo, WAV or MP3;  this also uses a micro-SD card.  I'm amazed at how much data these little cards can store.  The one camera I recall at an exhibition must have transmitted a signal of some sort for it was placed in a van at the rear of a train (00 gauge, I think) and as it moved along you could see what it saw live on a laptop computer screen by the side of the layout.  That device was advertised in the model railway press at one point - maybe it still is.  Your other purpose for the camera as a 'seeker' of things in tunnels is eminently practical.  No doubt over time it will turn up all sorts of stuff!   

• 1 year later...

Archived