Quartering Markits DeLuxe Outside Cranks

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone out there have experience of using Markits "DeLuxe" N/S outside cranks (ref no MCRNKOsDL)?

I'm building an outside framed Beyer Peacock 0-6-0 tender loco in 4mm / 16.5mm gauge using Markits wheels, extended axles, their very nice axle extensions and even nicer "deluxe" outside cranks.  But pretty as they are, I'm not at all clear about how best to set the quartering. 

For anyone not familiar with these products the axle extension is essentially a standard wheel nut but 5.5mm deep so that the axle is a uniform width both sides of the wheel, the cranks are tapped and screw onto what then remains of the threaded axle emerging from the extension pieces.  The problem is that if you tighten these up against the ends of the axle extensions, whilst you get a very solid piece of model engineering, the crank throw is all over the place with no hope of quartering accurately.  When you wind one or more out a few threads so that the crank throws are quartered the cranks themselves seem to wobble on the thread as if they've been tapped a size too big.   I guess I could use washers - if I could find ones small enough - to take up the slack or even super glue or solder them in place but these feel second best. 

Don't think the cranks are faulty as I tried several with no improvement.  Have I missed something? Has anyone else had similar problems?  What did you do?   All advice or suggestions, gratefully received.

PS, If you're wondering it's a K's kit and needs a lot of work to make it presentable, but I'm quite pleased with it so far! 

• RMweb Premium

Both, thanks for responding to this post.  Apologies for the delay in replying, work interfering with the important things in life...

I've never used Romford's o/s cranks so can't say if they are the same/similar to these - there is an image in the Markits catalogue if you want to check them out.  However it is clear that with the axle extensions I'm using there isn't room for a 10ba nut.  So I think I'll have to use washers and varnish to lock them whilst I sort out the quartering and then superglue/solder for a more permanent fix once - if it ever! -  runs smoothly.  I'll let you know how I get on.  Meantime, thanks again for your interest.

• 1 year later...

Footie

I have just stumbled on this crank quartering problem when updating a K's Aberdare.

Have discussed it with manufacturer but he can't think of a proper 'engineering' way to solve it and still be able to get the wheels off later if necessary. Besides the methods previously suggested to you the best he could come up with was filing a fraction off the brass axle extension. The chances of me filing it square are remote!

I suggested the possibility of cutting the threaded axle shorter than the extension, drilling the hole in the crank a clearance fit and screwing the crank into the axle extension - on one side only.You could then adjust the cranks until the quartering was correct and tighten. (this may also need a spot of glue/solder to stop the screw coming loose?)

Have you come up with a solution that results in the chassis running smoothly?

Archived