Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

List of ECML Models

I wanted to put this in layout topics but I'm not allowed to start a new topic there.

Anyway, looking through some old mags I got to thinking about how many models of ecml prototypes there are, surely more popular than the west country branch line?

Examples that come immediately to mind include Biggleswade, Little Bytham, Peterborough, Retford and Edinburgh Waverley but I am sure there are more. I think it would be nice to see as full a list as possible.

Ed

Hitchin (still going, despite the original builder no longer being with us)

Sandy (of this parish)

Doncaster (also of this parish)

York (at least twice AFAIK, but not sure if the first one is still in existence)

If you consider the Gainsborough set up more completely, then you can add Retford (again), Doncaster (again), Leeds Central and several of the smaller stations in between

There was an N gauge model of King's Cross featured in BRM a few years ago.

What is quite interesting/puzzling is why so many concentrated on the southern end? There are surely some wonderful prototype locations north of Newcastle along the Northumberland coast (for example)?

And, despite my obvious current allegiance(!), I'd be surprised if ECML layouts really were more popular than the west country branch line (although quite how you 'measure' that is a mute point). A more intriguing aspect might be to ask how many GW mainline layouts there are (as opposed to branch lines?).

There's also this rather nice

in OO.  Seems to only post vids to youtube, as I've never seen anything on any forum so far.

I've watched a few of the more recent videos which show the layout taking shape. The owner states that the period is late 50s through to early 60s but Deltics seem somewhat conspicuous by their absence!

There's at least two of us working toward a model of Hatfield (34C).

I, and at least one other have done 'Welwyn North' in the past, and I have seen a 'Hadley Wood' too, many years ago.

(To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been an earlier attempt at Hatfield, which is surprising. Consider: most of the ECML traffic passing, some at speed, the inner suburban terminus for many years and the junction for three branches, thus a loco shed and carriage stabling location, a busy goods yards with rail served businesses on the boundary, four signal boxes, and an unusual curvaceous and assymetric layout, with the only Prime Minister's personal waiting room that I know of as garnish. It's a corker.)

Gravy Train of this parish has posted pictures of Berwick station buildings, suggesting there's a layout there somewhere.  Drem is also ECML, is it not?

It is and has been done in N by East Neuk MRC. Its' also the junction for the North Berwick branch.

If Arran Aird is reading this, how about a few pictures.

Carl

What is quite interesting/puzzling is why so many concentrated on the southern end? There are surely some wonderful prototype locations north of Newcastle along the Northumberland coast (for example)?

Yes, I agree. Lamberton cliffs would be an ideal candidate. Operationally not much (just a double track) but the scenery would more than make up for it. How about the viaduct and station at Durham? Or Darlington, it always strikes me how unusual it is seeing the station loop off from the mainline.

Carl

There's at least two of us working toward a model of Hatfield (34C).

I, and at least one other have done 'Welwyn North' in the past, and I have seen a 'Hadley Wood' too, many years ago.

(To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been an earlier attempt at Hatfield, which is surprising. Consider: most of the ECML traffic passing, some at speed, the inner suburban terminus for many years and the junction for three branches, thus a loco shed and carriage stabling location, a busy goods yards with rail served businesses on the boundary, four signal boxes, and an unusual curvaceous and assymetric layout, with the only Prime Minister's personal waiting room that I know of as garnish. It's a corker.)

Isn't one of the Gainsborough stations Hatfield? They may also have a Hitchin as well. Certainly at least one of the two is used for exactly the purpose you describe, ie terminating local services and sending them back to KX. However, it is in the middle of the room and you can only really catch a glimpse of what goes on there.

Hi,

Has anyone mentioned Peterborough North or am I going blind?

Here in OZ (Australia), there is Northcastle, inspired by Newcastle upon tyne in LNER days.  It has the castle keep at the head of a large terminus station and within a triangle.  It has a few of the North Eastern loco types, such as G5, J27, Q7, D20, C7, J72 and usual number of LNER types, A1/A3, A4, D49, V2, K3, V3, P2, Sentinel Shunter, Sentinel railcar.

My own layout is inspired by the carriage sidings at Gosforth in Newcastle upon tyne in LNER days and will eventually have a branchline to Ponteland (birth place of late fathers).  So not actually ECML, but a diversionary route if you look at railway maps or google maps.  Again LNER, with Silver Jubilee set, Pullmans, Gresleys including Restaurant Triplet set under construction, a Coronation set to be built.

Mark in OZ

post-7319-0-29203400-1375179779_thumb.jpg

Peterborough (North) mentioned in OP, Mark. Perhaps you were looking at it upsidedown? :mosking:

That looks to be a model railway worthy of its own thread on RMWeb. So please do consider starting one; I'd certainly be calling in to have a look.

I know of someone with a layout of Dundee and my Dad's layout is based on Aberdeen (but bears no resemblance to Aberdeen) if we want to look further north of the border...

Archived