Coach End Data Panels & Numbers

C&WR

Apologies for what might seem a rather dim question, but I had no idea how to search for this either here or on Google. I've been trying to add some detail to the ends of various old bits of BR Blue rolling stock & would be grateful for a steer as to what lettering, data panels & so on should go on the ends of a Mk 1 buffet coach, Mk 2 coaches generally & Mk 3 HST stock.

Specifically I'm interested in what the C1 means & should this vary between the types? I've done Railtec overhead wires transfers where appropriate, but their coach stuff says it isn't for HSTs. Would it be right for the Mk 1/2 coaches.

Yours, a keen but confused novice.

• Like 1

C1 is the loading gauge profile so is the same for Mk1 and Mk2 stock. Mk3 stock had C3 for their profile.

Prior to POIS being used by BR for placing Coaching Stock on computers (around 1983/1984) the coaches were identified on the coach ends as TSO(A), FK(A) etc. The (A) states that the coaches were in front line every day use and were maintained as such. B was used for coaches not diagrammed on such a regular basis and C was mainly for summer Saturday and excursion stock. They were then changed to codes such as AC21 (Mk1 TSO) or AA1D (Mk2D FK) and these codes were also used on the general arrangement drawings.

The reason why Railtec say that their Mk3 data panels are not for HSTs is that HSTs originally had T for Trailer at the start of their codes: TF, TS, TRSB, TRUB, TGS etc whereas Mk3a loco hauled stock had FO, TSO, RUB.

T on loco hauled stock stands for Tourist and implies 2 + 2 seating across the width of the coach.

Other codes on the coach ends were 100 mph, 90 mph etc, Electric Heated (or Dual Heated), air braked, air con, p.a, and the ETH index (if electrically heated). Each electric heat loco has a maximum ETH index which should not be exceeded by the total of the ETH indices of the carriages in the train that the loco is pulling.

There was normally a cast dimensions panel and also (especially on Mk 2 stock) maintenance dates and s.p (= shopping proposal).

The new POIS codes are included in the Parkin book of Mk1 stock and Harris' book on Mk2 stock. They are also included in the Ian Allan and Platform 5 pocket books from 1984 onwards, as are the coach ETH indices.

That may have confused you even more by now but if you need to know any more please just ask.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

That is very much appreciated, Flood, many thanks! Bearing in mind I just want to give an impression of what should be on the coaches rather than super detail (my railway has been resurrected from my youth & is essentially a glorified trainset for my lad, although I am trying to make it aesthetically pleasing) I may just go for the loading gauge profiles & data panels.

I'm looking at these from Fox Transfers or these from Railtec. The latter could be overkill as I have about eight coaches to do, not sixty!

Any hints on how to place the transfers when I get them? I'm finding it really hard to find good images of the ends of the coaches...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

That's great.  Thanks again for your patience with someone new to this.

Now to wax a bit of cash on some SE Finecast flush glazing as well.  Honestly I could have bought all new Bachmann once eBay & other suppliers costs/postage, time etc were taken into account but I wouldn't have had as much fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.  The good news is that the Railtec transfers have arrived.  The bad news is that apart from the loading gauge thing I can't read what they say.  Now to go & get a magnifying lens...

• Like 3

Managed to start work over the last couple of days:

IMG_1825.JPG

The site Flood gave me the link to has been invaluable!

The Hornby coaches were very straightforward, the Lima ones have a great big moulding where the coach details should be:

IMG_1827.JPG

In the end decided to cut this moulding off to get the transfers on.  Then masked up for varnishing:

IMG_1830.JPG

I had a couple of small disasters.  Firstly the paint and out of box transfers on the Lima Mk 1 BGs didn't like the varnish & masking tape, and as chance would have it it was these where I'd not fixed the maskers very well.  End result is that I had to paint in the livery with my RailMatch paint bought for another project and that I may need to redo the numbers & letters if this detail being damaged annoys me.  

Secondly the Railtec transfers didn't like the varnish much either and a couple dissolved when sprayed. There are some spares, but it happened to the BFK which only comes as enough transfers for one coach, so these are now bearing BSK markings.  No one I know will spot this but i will know.  I'm just not a serious enough modeller to pay another tenner for a replacement set of decals...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Managed to start work over the last couple of days:

IMG_1825.JPG

The site Flood gave me the link to has been invaluable!

The Hornby coaches were very straightforward, the Lima ones have a great big moulding where the coach details should be:

IMG_1827.JPG

In the end decided to cut this moulding off to get the transfers on.  Then masked up for varnishing:

IMG_1830.JPG

I had a couple of small disasters.  Firstly the paint and out of box transfers on the Lima Mk 1 BGs didn't like the varnish & masking tape, and as chance would have it it was these where I'd not fixed the maskers very well.  End result is that I had to paint in the livery with my RailMatch paint bought for another project and that I may need to redo the numbers & letters if this detail being damaged annoys me.  

Secondly the Railtec transfers didn't like the varnish much either and a couple dissolved when sprayed. There are some spares, but it happened to the BFK which only comes as enough transfers for one coach, so these are now bearing BSK markings.  No one I know will spot this but i will know.  I'm just not a serious enough modeller to pay another tenner for a replacement set of decals...

Did you use acrylic or enamel varnish ?  Railtec transfers are good quality, but tend to be a little fragile and require careful handling.   Hurst Models used to supply good quality (readable) water slide coach end detail sheets, http://www.shop.hurstmodels.com/tfc903-coach-end-and-side-detail-combi-pack-263-p.asp showing O/S at present.  Hurst also recommended spaying a thin coat of acrylic varnish over the compete transfer sheet prior to using/cutting out the required images.

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, K.  I used whatever's in that Tamiya rattle can behind the models.  I think it was probably my over exuberance which led to the demise of the decals!

I've now used the C3s with data panels on my HST stock & made some corridor connectors.  They are completely legible under a lens & there the true expert might realise something is amiss, but from the normal viewing distance all looks great!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...