DP2, is someone making one?

ozzyo

I think the idea of recreating DP2 was around when D9016 was getting sold by Harry Needle as some people thought it would donate its engine and other parts to keep the others going, thus leaving an empty shell. Thankfully this never happened, although I would like to see DP2 come back.

I think the idea of recreating DP2 was around when D9016 was getting sold by Harry Needle as some people thought it would donate its engine and other parts to keep the others going, thus leaving an empty shell. Thankfully this never happened, although I would like to see DP2 come back.

Ahh, you got there just before me.

But there are two Deltic cabs owned by the DPS.

If you splice in the middle of a class 50, you are there! 

Think they have sold 21's cab recently, with the cab of 8 being used as the simulator.

I don't think there was ever a chance 16 was going to become DP2 when HNRC put it for sale. The original sale from HNRC had a least 3 bidders (that I'm aware of) all of whom intended to use Gordon 'as intended'. The intended sale from this bid never came to frution, and it was a case of 3rd time lucky for Beaver Sports when Gordon was acquired at the end 2009/start of 2010.

Rebuilding a Deltic to DP2 would be like de-streamlining Mallard to make another A3 :no:

Except an A3 already exists whereas a DP2 doesn't.

While DP2 looks similar to a Deltic I presume the internal framing is substantially different requiring a new shell?

But there are two Deltic cabs owned by the DPS.

If you splice in the middle of a class 50, you are there! 

Now theres an idea - that's got rid of one 50, too many of them around....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2

While DP2 looks similar to a Deltic I presume the internal framing is substantially different requiring a new shell?

Modified on or added to the EE Type 5 production line, IIRC.  With only essential changes to the shell to let the single power unit breathe etc., however the engine room and mounts etc will be massively different from accommodating twin Napiers.

Edited by 'CHARD

I remember reading somewhere - alas, I can't remember where - that when EE were planning DP2, they used a Deltic bodyshell as they had one of these spare, so a conversion should not be too difficult.

On the other hand, I couldn't help wondering why they should have a spare shell; these not being all that cheap to build. Engineers must be able to work out all the moments and stresses so need to be good at maths. I'm a little surprised thay they couldn't count to 22!

BR did originally order 23 Deltics, but they finally decided on 22. (I think from Brian Webbs 'Deltic Locomotives of British Rail') I don't think work had started on building number 23, but EE may already have got sufficient materials together for another bodyshell and decided to put them to good use.

IIIRC, DP2 came around the build of Deltic 9 or 10. also the engine from DP2 was used in one of the production batch of the class 50s. and lasted until the end.

OzzyO.

Indeed, it ended up in 50023 but it put a conrod through the block.

Rebuilding a Deltic to DP2 would be like de-streamlining Mallard to make another A3 :no:

Now there's a conspiracy to consider, the one remaining A3 in bits painted a stealthy black holed up in the NRM. Two A4s back from the US to be cosmetically done up, all spending time at NRM sites. Have we all kept a close eye on frames and boilers...........

• Funny 2

Yes. And the underframe's main central longitudinals are joined by cross-members very differently proportioned and positioned to those on a Deltic. I don't have a drawing which shows the DP2 longitudinals in detail, but those for the Deltics had a number of apertures, symmetrically disposed about the mid-length, and arranged at varying altitudes to avoid the sloping floors of the engine wells. The longitudinals are fabricated from plate, with a quite complex profile of varying depth, a maximum 24" deep where these apertures occur. DP2's equivalent internals were certainly not symmetrically placed, so my bet is that its longitudinals had different apertures too. Which is why I'm always sceptical/irritated when someone asserts that a production Deltic bodyshell was purloined mid-build, to create DP2.

Be nice if we knew a person who could dish the dirt about Vulcan working practices when it came to diesel loco erection. I've other questions I'd like to ask!

The Nim.

Edited by Nimbus

. Which is why I'm always sceptical/irritated when someone asserts that a production Deltic bodyshell was purloined mid-build, to create DP2.

Be nice if we knew a person who could dish the dirt about Vulcan working practices when it came to diesel loco erection. I've other questions I'd like to ask!

The Nim.

Hello Nimbus,

maybe you've answered your own question about DP2. In that it was only the body shell that was used along with a new floor pan. The mounts for the single engine would have to be different, so would E.E. have used the old jigs that had been used for say  the class 37s or 40s. To build the new floor pan on? Or the jigs that they built D.P.1 on? I say D.P.1 as this loco was different to the main batch of class 55s.

At that time E.E. were building a lot of locos not just for Britain but for the world as well. So who can say!

OzzyO.