South Eastern Railway Break (Brake) Vans

I am currently in the middle of building two of John Arkell’s South Eastern Railway break (brake?) vans. These are resin castings of which John supplies the two sides and two ends, and the rest is up to you. The quality of the resin castings is very sharp but finding drawings was difficult so John very kindly supplied me with two similar drawings and so the end result should look something like!

Apart from that I have finished the 1840s Horsebox, scratch built from a drawing in the Illustrated London News about 160 years ago

I have attached photos in order to start some discussion

post-5651-0-83536800-1375374689_thumb.jpg

post-5651-0-05159400-1375374709_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does John Arkell have a web site and does he do LCDR as well?  They look lovely models and I have a rake of beer wagons that need a brake van.

Googling John Arkell gave me a session drummer and a brewer, neither of which seemed very helpful.

For ChrisN

Sorry, I forgot to mention that John does not supply these brake vans as kits.

All he supplies are the moulded sides and ends. the rest is up to you, so it is partial scratchbuilding.

Drawings of similar brake vans can be found in 'An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Part 3

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For ChrisN

Sorry, I forgot to mention that John does not supply these brake vans as kits.

All he supplies are the moulded sides and ends. the rest is up to you, so it is partial scratchbuilding.

Drawings of similar brake vans can be found in 'An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Part 3

Michael

Michael,

I had sort of realised that from your post.  I am trying all sorts of new things so I am sure I can source/ build a chassis and a roof should not be an issue.

Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 01/08/2013 at 17:31, mikeandnel said:

I am currently in the middle of building two of John Arkell’s South Eastern Railway break (brake?) vans. These are resin castings of which John supplies the two sides and two ends, and the rest is up to you. The quality of the resin castings is very sharp but finding drawings was difficult so John very kindly supplied me with two similar drawings and so the end result should look something like!

Apart from that I have finished the 1840s Horsebox, scratch built from a drawing in the Illustrated London News about 160 years ago

I appreciate that an awful long time has passed since this post but I’ve just stumbled across it and have been admiring the horse box. Please could you tell me which edition of ILN the drawing is in, I’d like to look it up?

Also, John gave me his masters earlier in the year for all the castings required to complete his resin brake vans (although which ones go with which van is unclear). I can now supply castings to suit.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Hello Chris

All of my SER/LCDR/SECR related stock & books have long gone to other people.

As you know, I am nearly 87 and my instructions from the management have been to dispose

of all my non LBSCR related stock as my wife would not know what to do with it when I am gone

To the best of my memory it was in an issue of the Pictorial Times round about 1845, but don't know for sure

Hope you are keeping well

Please keep me up to date with what you are doing, especially LBSC

Best regards

Michael

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/08/2013 at 17:31, mikeandnel said:

Excellent work.

What castings have you used? 

Which brake vans are you building?  I could do with something that pre-dates the 20-ton 6-wheelers.

Guy Rixon and I had the pleasure of meeting John Arkell while he was demonstrating at York in April.  

He gave me his card, which, as usual, I've put in "a safe place", and it would be good to get a grip on what he produces.  Does he have a list, or, dare I suggest, a website?