Colas timber wagons and the odd steel carrier or two

Here's three of the IHA type wagon you can buy

Roco's Version

post-8106-0-31832300-1376231880_thumb.jpg

Piko's Version

post-8106-0-44396200-1376231952_thumb.jpg

Marklin's Version

post-8106-0-84104700-1376231974_thumb.jpg

All of these wagons are HO scale, I think in Model Rail a few years ago, It showed you how to make a OO scale version and it had the scale plans too. I still have it and I can make a copy of it and e-mail it to you if you want it. Send me a PM and i'll find it for you. I don't think you can reproduce the article on here as it may infringe copyright laws.

Hi again just thinking about the IHA wagons, I have all the bits from my timber wagon,like the hood etc but looking at the photos I've found of the IHA wagon it looks to be covered in a

tarpaulin cover are there two types? :sungum: ........How do I make a 00 scale tarpaulin? :O

The original covers were more 'textured' in appearance than the later ones, which are very shiny in appearance. They also had a different tensioning mechanism, so they weren't pulled as tight. To give that 'textured' look, a technique called 'impasto' can be used- basically, applying a thick enough coat of artist's acrylic (already much thicker than modelling paints), and using brush, and edge of knife, to accentuate folds.

• 6 years later...

@Fat Controller Funny that I should find you on this page! Regarding the three models shown at the top, annoyingly the 'Railion' wagons were on offer at a silly price earlier this year ..................... if only I knew then .......................... mumble mumble

Cheers,

Philip 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On 10/12/2019 at 15:52, Philou said:

@Fat Controller Funny that I should find you on this page! Regarding the three models shown at the top, annoyingly the 'Railion' wagons were on offer at a silly price earlier this year ..................... if only I knew then .......................... mumble mumble

Cheers,

Philip 

couple on eBay today from rails of Sheffield (of Sheffield) 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193282803832

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2013 at 15:42, ews60002 said:

...I think in Model Rail a few years ago, It showed you how to make a OO scale version and it had the scale plans too. I still have it and I can make a copy of it and e-mail it to you if you want it. Send me a PM and i'll find it for you. I don't think you can reproduce the article on here as it may infringe copyright laws.

Hi,

Although I no longer have a copy of the mag my old 'puter magazine database shows there was an article of 3.5 pages in the August '06 Model Rail by Robert Stephens, one of a series on wagon scratchbuilds, comprising 4mm templates for the major parts along with prototype and model photos.

There are regular 4mm plans, including a larger scale side view of the end latching mechanism, in Railway Wagon Plans 1960s to the Present by John L Fox.

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
corrected mag title - sorry!

1 hour ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi,

Although I no longer have a copy of the mag my old 'puter magazine database shows there was an article of 3.5 pages in the August '06 Model Rail by Robert Stephens, one of a series on wagon scratchbuilds, comprising 4mm templates for the major parts along with prototype and model photos.

There are regular 4mm plans, including a larger scale side view of the end latching mechanism, in Railway Wagon Plans 1960s to the Present by John L Fox.

Regards, Gerry.

And very good they were, though some were perhaps a bit fragile.