DJH class 14

malc125

Hi all

Great build and very helpful, a loco I was thinking of doing until I read on the DJH website the minimum 72inch radius, not much use for me as my maximum radius I can squeeze in will be 54 inches! Still fancy having one though if im honest.

Ian

There is just enough sideplay for 5'6" curves, but the centre axle must have sideplay in it, and the motor driven axle must be able to move sideways. The downside is that with all the sideplay, the centre steps will foul the centre nut on the coupling rods. Choices are, material removed from steps or angle steps outwards slightly, if you want to get round tight curves.

Read in magazine that DJH use a one piece casting for their RTR 9Fs, instead of the parts in the kit, to batch build at a reasonable cost. Pictures of the RTR class 14 don't have the issues of cab being too narrow, so I am assuming rightly or wrongly they are using a custom one piece casting for the body.

I've just started on them and their taking some serious work.

Best advice I can give you is take your time and start with the cab on a flat surface (usual glass plate works well) and make bonnets fit up to the cab. Then sort out the height, pay attention to the position of the bonnets relative to the windows. Check the fit of the footplate as you might find the body castings are too long.Then make accessory boxes to fit the cab and bonnets. I soldered them all together rather than just use the screws. Good luck, let me know how you get on 

Very interesting that Malc, I wonder if that accounts for poor quality of the castings in the kit if DJH are using the moulds for 2 operations?. I've just started on them and their taking some serious work.

I gave up on my DJH Class 14 and have since sold it on eBay. I posted several photos and progress reports in the early pages of this forum. The chassis is a good etching and design and went together easily. I had a smooth rolling chassis at the first attempt, which is commendable for an 0-6-0 with a jack shaft, and it ran well with my motor and fly-wheel installation. Unfortunately, the superstructure is appalling and I could not see how I could get a satisfactory result without excessive work. DJH exchanged the footplate casting, but the replacement was equally poor and I do wonder what they are using for the factory built models. I was also unable to get over the integrally cast handrails on the bonnets; that really was beyond the pail. I also think the price of the decals for the 14 is outrageous, especially when one considers that the good DJH kit of the 03 0-6-0 DM contains a full set of decals apart from the wasp chevrons. 

Hi All

I am slightly confused now,because, as I said the DJH advert states 72in rad while malc125 reckons 5'6", but, i just found a page I had cut out of the Jan 2014 issue of a modelling mag(sorry don't know which one) where there is a review of the DJH Factory built 14 and the reviewer says "Despite its deceptively long coupled wheelbase the recently introduced Peco Setrack curves were negotiated with ease", now I understand the setrack curves are 40.5in rad so are the factory built locos different to the kit ones?

Ian

Hi All

I am slightly confused now,because, as I said the DJH advert states 72in rad while malc125 reckons 5'6", but, i just found a page I had cut out of the Jan 2014 issue of a modelling mag(sorry don't know which one) where there is a review of the DJH Factory built 14 and the reviewer says "Despite its deceptively long coupled wheelbase the recently introduced Peco Setrack curves were negotiated with ease", now I understand the setrack curves are 40.5in rad so are the factory built locos different to the kit ones?

Ian

I built my chassis rigid per the instructions and the tightest curve it would negotiate was 6'.

Hi All

Ian

You do need to build it so all the axles have as much side play in as possible and in particular make sure the axle carrying the motor can also slide sideways. Don't include any of the supplied washers on the axles. I feel DJH are playing safe stating 6' and nothing wrong with that.

In one of the railway magazines it was mentioned / suggested that DJH RTR are not straight kits built and sold, but different castings and parts are used to speed up production and keep the costs down. If you look at the RTR version, the cab fits right up to the edges of the footplate while the kit one is much narrower. I still think they use a one piece casting for the body.

They probably pick out the best ones - wouldn't you?

In my opinion the castings are not of merchantable quality when the DJH website states "This is an easy build kit which has been designed for kit building beginners." Reading through this forum suggests that this statement might reasonably be defined as a terminological inexactitude. I have no axe to grind with DJH other than as a dissatisfied Class 14 customer. 

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on my progress with the 14, having got the chassis rolling it was dis assembled for a oat of etch primer followed by matt black. Pick ups, wiring and motor were then fitted along with a flywheel and taken for a test run at Hessle Model Railway Club as I currently don't have a test track. The results were ok but with a few tweaks and some running in things improved to a nice smooth runner. As said I don't have a test track so any work on the chassis has been on Wednesdays on club night so plenty has been done with the body castings in the meantime, first up the main frame. I made a total bodge up of drilling out the buffers so these were replaced with working items from Invertrain and I've also added the pipework at the back of the drain/filler connectors provided with the kit as it's quite visible on the prototype. post-20087-0-70165900-1396736245.pngpost-20087-0-40273900-1396736268.png

Next up was the bonnets, as the top handrails are moulded on these were carefully removed and scratch built replacements made up the brass wire provided and flat brass strip, not perfect but a little bit better. Just behind the rad fan grill there's a panel line where the roof section can be lifted off(hence the 4 lifting eyelets around it) so this was represented by a simple strip of microstrip. As seen all the vents and lifting eyelets have been added as have the ones on the cab roof and all handrails made and fitted. Other work done is getting the couplings and buffer beam pipes made up and some of the other castings cleaned up.

post-20087-0-70233600-1396736366.pngpost-20087-0-46971600-1396736392.png

post-20087-0-54267400-1396736421.png

post-20087-0-70165900-1396736245.png

post-20087-0-40273900-1396736268.png

post-20087-0-70233600-1396736366.png

post-20087-0-46971600-1396736392.png

post-20087-0-54267400-1396736421.png

I too purchased the kit thinking it was an easy introduction to making a DJH type kit as I have a tower warship to attack if and when I ever get the Class 14 finished. I have greatly enjoyed this thread and now will have to make the handrail alteration as it greatly improves the look of the bonnets - so thank you for the added time to achieve a completed model!!!!!

As a newcomer to the RM Web I will endeavour to some pictures of progress if I can work out how to do it.

In my opinion the castings are not of merchantable quality when the DJH website states "This is an easy build kit which has been designed for kit building beginners." Reading through this forum suggests that this statement might reasonably be defined as a terminological inexactitude. I have no axe to grind with DJH other than as a dissatisfied Class 14 customer. 

To echo Sebastian Vettel's comments on the sound of the current F1 cars, the castings are sh*t!

Hi all

As an alternative what is the PRMRP Class 14 like?

Ian

Early on in this Thread a link was posted to my build of the PRMRP kit.

I would not consider that kit to be a "beginner" kit either; I ended up paying someone to make me a decent chassis with compensation & jointed rods etc.

Since then I shamefully admit I have got no further & the kit remains unfinished. I know I jumped in the deep end of 7mm loco kit building with a Steve Beattie D63xx (since sold) & this - neither best for Learners, & I freely admit they put me off the whole etch/kit-build business.

I have not been helped of course by my main interest of 1:48 US Railroads; prices that I've been able to pick up fully R-T-R Atlas locos (latest one was an Alco RS3 for £112+p&p) & stock knock British O scale prices out of sight, & I consider the price of the DJH 14 kit outreagous, to be honest - especially considering it's (lack of) quality.

I know that pricing of UK & US stuff is based on different market factors - I don't mean to re-open that old chestnut here.

FWIW I have the Ixion Steam loco; I think it's a fine model overall, & in UK terms priced very well. So-called "starter" kits priced way above that sort of level are, I think, a non-starter.... pun fully intended ;)

• 6 months later...

Well its been a while but pleased to say I've been busy with the 14 and its all but finished. Having got the bonnets and cab attached it was etched primed and painted with a combination of Railmatch and Humbrol paints. The cab interior was improved upon by using parts supplied by the ever helpful PRMRP from their 14 kit as the moulding supplied by DJH is pretty basic. Having had good results with the painting the same couldn't be said for the transfers. The cab side ones went on no problem but the wasp stripes were a disaster! The biggest problem was that they wouldn't lay nicely on the bonnet ends and simply covered over the pannel gaps, tried some Humbrol Decalfix but they just broke up upon trying to adjust them so went to plan B on hand painted them on, far from perfect but at least show the pannel lines. A coat of matt varnish and a bit of weathering and it was pretty much job done.

post-20087-0-14438300-1413232465.jpg

post-20087-0-18244800-1413232513.jpg

post-20087-0-86819700-1413232548_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-33061000-1413232606.jpg

I am enjoying this thread as I am toying with the idea of purchasing one of these and painting it in BLUE to match the rest of the fleet. Did you hear anymore about the quality of the castings from DJH as it looks to me that they are a little shall we say 'rough around the edges'

Ian

Archived