Cliddesden a BR(S) EM gauge layout

bodmin16

So as promised a quick update:

The track has been coloured, sprayed with grey primer and track colour sprayed sparingly which has given some variation in colour not particularly obvious in the pictures. Ballasting has started after a false start, the ballast I laid turned green. I dug this out and restarted with replacement ballast, fortunately I'd only laid a meter or so of "green" ballast. The ballast needs finishing, tidying and some dry brushing.

The issue with the crossing gates appears to have been resolved with a software update, but now one of the gates has failed so some more work needed.

The stations building has received some initial coats of paint and needs a few details for completion including barge boards, chimney pots and gutters etc. slightly smaller than I originally planned and now based on the station building at East Budleigh. I have also had a change of plans with the signal box which is being drastically modified.

post-12041-0-03051400-1403553250.jpg

I like building wagons and a few more have appeared including this Dapol lowmac and the box van which follows my usual practice of etched w irons etc, but the Lowac is just the basic kit but will probably gained etched buffers etc.

post-12041-0-92426300-1403553273.jpg

A view looking towards Alton with mock up of railway cottages and the start of the trees in the distance which will be a wooded area on raised ground. The timber hut is the free giveaway from RM with home made corrugated tin roof.

post-12041-0-08275800-1403553300.jpg

And finally a picture of a train with the Provender store in the background!

post-12041-0-24895100-1403553326.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't know if anybody out there is still interested and I know It's been a long time, but a quick update. Cliddesden now has a permanent home in the garage since we sold one of the cars and that has resulted in some progress. Speed is probably one up from snails pace, however I am able to pop out for 20 minutes every so often as I don't have to pack away after each time play. I am also quite motivated again although short of time due to work commitments.

Ballasting is virtually complete, the station building is almost complete and the signal box has been modified but progressing and other buildings are progressing, including a mock up of the railway cottages. Point ridding has appeared which has been very time consuming. I have also been playing with various items of stock, some contours are taking shape and another tree is in production. The layout is basically running and I am reasonably happy with that side of things - a few tweaks maybe!

I need to fit couplings to more of the stock and decide the final details for the cassettes in the fiddle yards so that I can play trains properly.

post-12041-0-41367100-1427320840_thumb.jpgpost-12041-0-89290100-1427320858_thumb.jpgpost-12041-0-57943700-1427320886_thumb.jpgpost-12041-0-13031600-1427320914_thumb.jpgpost-12041-0-43734200-1427320946_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 years later...
54 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Any further progress?

Thank you

StaySafe, StayHome

Hi Jack,

Thanks for dropping by and taking an interest,to be honest I don't drop by this way much at the moment.  Unfortunately not a lot of progress has been mad and some of the buildings are being used on a micro layout.  We have had a lot of work done over the past couple of years and I now have less room in the garage and I can't erect the fiddle yards without opening the garage door, but that has made me rethink the fiddle yards as I have never been happy with them.  The micro, Test Valley Sidings, is built from various cannibalised parts including a test track that has now been scrapped.  One advantage of the current situation and working from home is no commit so more modelling time, one disadvantage is that the cash saved on commuting is being spent with various model shops and a certain auction site - got to keep these businesses going (at least that's the line I am spinning to my wonderful and u understanding wife).  I will try to make more of an effort in future.  Meanwhile a couple of pictures of Test Valley Sidings with buildings from Cliddesden tlo be going on with.

Thanks again and take care.

20210123_142959.jpg

20210214_145330.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hi everybody,

Hope you're all well.

I have been thinking about Cliddesden quite a bit recently and also been reading about others who have lost interest and stored thier projects, or even scrapped them.  Cliddesden is still boxed up, since it was put away for the building work on the hous a couple of years ago.  I have on more than one occasion thought about replacing it with another project, however in recent weeks I have thought about restarting work on it with a few changes.  I think my renewed interest is probably due to making good progress on the micro, Test Valley Sidings.  It will be a while before I play with Cliddesden but the thought is there.  Meanwhile the micro has enabled me to concentrate on finishing a few unfinished projects like wagons etc and not buying more from ebay means that it is easier to focus.  So if anybody is still with me here, here are a few recent pictures, which are even now outdated.  For the record,  building a micro has been great and I can recommend to anybody start a small project to get the mojo going again.

20210615_211150.jpg

20210615_211135.jpg

20210615_194312.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So I have been after one of these little beauties for a while, I have been wanting this for so long - it is basically Medstead station which is a personal favourite of mine for a whole number of reasons.  It arrived today and I have over the past week or so been giving some thought to Cliddesden, learning from my experiences with TVS.  I am thinking about how I can erect Cliddesden again and maybe I will rent a storage unit to store some of the other associated toys to make some space.  I have decided that there will be some changes, not in the track layout but with platform arrangements and other scenic items, with possible more buildings than I originally envisaged.  The other thing that will definitely happen is that the existing fiddle boards will be scrapped and replaced with traversers I will need some help with these though as my woodworking skills are probably not up to building traverses.

So it would seem that my enthusiasm for Cliddesden is returning and hopefully soon I will be making some progress, once TVS (for which I have received a couple of expressions of interest to exhibit at local shows) nears completion.

20210922_212926.jpg

Edited by bodmin16
Text added - oops mark 1 user error!
  • Like 3

Guest Jack Benson

Alan,

Does it need a rework - no, but a wash of green ‘decay’ is always a good idea as it replicates the effect of the endless rain of British summers (and winters). Let it find its way into all the little cracks and fissures. Also consider adding very, very small pendant lights (non working) fashioned from bits of wire, wine bottle foil and cheap jewellery pearls. I will post some images for you but in the meantime, try looking here for ideas.

StaySafe

68523AFE-CB5A-4F84-AFDC-B9B50D0755A3.jpeg.61bdf689734877b0407910a1f17bb2e5.jpeg

• 1 year later...

A few changes in the garage have meant that after 3 or 4 years Cliddesden has been setup, albeit minus fiddle yards. TVS sits on brackets above Cliddesden at a great viewing height.  Work has started on cleaning up and getting it running again.  Watch this space!20230219_223430.jpg.4424dd390cb025c7399d4c64e1faf9f1.jpg20230219_223449.jpg.8085860e5392ff99041fc05a3742e7a4.jpg

• Like 2